Princess Copper River Cruisetour

Cosmic Rays

Has anybody done this tour please having sailed from Vancouver to Whittier on the Diamond Princess and then to Copper River via Valdez, on to Denali, McKinley and finally to Anchorage before flying home?

I've booked it today for June 2009 and it's only a 330 day wait!!!

Colin:) :)

We're leaving Aug. 12th to do it in the opposite direction - Anchorage, McKinley, Denali, Copper River, Valdez, southbound on the Island Princess - so I'll let you know after I get back!! You do know that the bus trip between Copper River and Denali is 9 hours and mostly on a gravel road, don't you? Also, be sure that you're signed up for the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali and not the Natural History Tour. All the brochures said TWT, but Princess tried a little switcheroo on us - I was too smart for them - unfortunately many people don't know the difference.

I'll look out for your review. Yes, I am aware of the boneshaker trip from Copper River to Denali - hope we arrive in one piece and on a comfortable coach, not a schoolbus!! Thanks for the tip re TWT. It says TWT in our brochure here too in the UK and I don't like switcheroo tricks. How did you spot it and deal with it?

Thanks,

I'll look out for your review. Yes, I am aware of the boneshaker trip from Copper River to Denali - hope we arrive in one piece and on a comfortable coach, not a schoolbus!! Thanks for the tip re TWT. It says TWT in our brochure here too in the UK and I don't like switcheroo tricks. How did you spot it and deal with it?

Thanks,

I was actually at the travel agent's office when she was on the phone with Princess booking the tour. They faxed her all the papers and the itinerary said NHT and I saw it immediately. Many phone calls (in about 20 minutes!!) went back and forth between the TA and Princess. The bottom line was Princess was all out of the slots they had reserved for that tour for the TWT, but they would "try" to get more and they would hold my place until Monday (this was Friday). I came home, called Aramark directly (they have the concession with the Park Service) and booked the TWT on my own. Had the TA call Princess and get us a credit for the NHT and book the tour as otherwise presented. This was in January of this year, so I'd think that yours would have the TWT this far out, but I'd still verify that sooner rather than later.

Tillie,

Isn't this what Cruise Critic is all about?

Your help is great thank you, and I'll contact the TA in the morning to ensure we get this trip as specified in the brochure, and not be fobbed off with an alternative even as the trip is not until next June!!

The cruise ship part of the vacation is in well charted territory for us as it will be our 6th Princess cruise - however - the landtour is not hence seeking help with questions.

Any other tips you can offer?

I was actually at the travel agent's office when she was on the phone with Princess booking the tour. They faxed her all the papers and the itinerary said NHT and I saw it immediately. Many phone calls (in about 20 minutes!!) went back and forth between the TA and Princess. The bottom line was Princess was all out of the slots they had reserved for that tour for the TWT, but they would "try" to get more and they would hold my place until Monday (this was Friday). I came home, called Aramark directly (they have the concession with the Park Service) and booked the TWT on my own. Had the TA call Princess and get us a credit for the NHT and book the tour as otherwise presented. This was in January of this year, so I'd think that yours would have the TWT this far out, but I'd still verify that sooner rather than later.

We are on the NB Copper River tour Aug 25th. Princess did same thing to us on the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Got the TA to purchase it independantly. Still have the NHT and did not know we might be able to cancel them until reading these forums recently. I emailed my TA last night and hope she can get us a credit. No one seems to like it so wonder why they push it off on people.

I took the Copper River Cruisetour pre-cruise last August and it was great. The bus between Denali and Copper River was actually pretty enjoyable. The bus was comfortable and the driver very entertaining. The scenery was beautiful and the driver stopped when possible for wildlife sightings. We also stopped twice for snacks/bathroom breaks (although there is one on the bus) and once for lunch.

As for Denali, you might consider cancelling the NHT and reserving the park shuttle bus. It goes further into the park and you can reserve tickets in advance. It's also much cheaper and the type of bus used is pretty similar.

For Texas Tillie going in August, this is the same time I went last year. At the Copper River Lodge, they have a service where they will call your room in the middle of the night if the Northern Lights become visible. While it is extremely rare, I got a call at 1:30am when I was there last year and got to see it. You might want to sign up for the service - you have nothing to lose!

Have a great time!

I took the Copper River Cruisetour pre-cruise last August and it was great. The bus between Denali and Copper River was actually pretty enjoyable. The bus was comfortable and the driver very entertaining. The scenery was beautiful and the driver stopped when possible for wildlife sightings. We also stopped twice for snacks/bathroom breaks (although there is one on the bus) and once for lunch.

As for Denali, you might consider cancelling the NHT and reserving the park shuttle bus. It goes further into the park and you can reserve tickets in advance. It's also much cheaper and the type of bus used is pretty similar.

For Texas Tillie going in August, this is the same time I went last year. At the Copper River Lodge, they have a service where they will call your room in the middle of the night if the Northern Lights become visible. While it is extremely rare, I got a call at 1:30am when I was there last year and got to see it. You might want to sign up for the service - you have nothing to lose!

Have a great time!

Thanks for the info about the Northern Lights. I know that they have the same service at the McKinley Lodge if Denali "comes out"! I was in Alaska last August and saw the mountain 3 days in a row - so I'm afraid I may have had my lifetime allowance. Since I'm going with a friend who's never been to Alaska, I can hope for the best.:D

We did a similar tour through Princess but on ours we spend 2 nights at Copper River, 2 nights in Denali and 2 nights in Fairbanks.

One thing to think about with the tour you have selected...your only spending 1 night in Denali and 1 night in Talkeetna. With all the travel involved, you won't have much time to enjoy the area. I would really recommend you change so that you can have 2 nights at each lodge. Just my opinion.

As far as the tour....I was really worried about Copper River. It's so far away from Denali and involves an 8 hour bus trip. Well.....first of all the bus trip was a beautiful drive with plenty of stops. The Copper River Lodge and area is absolutely beautiful. I loved this area, it was so relaxing. I would go there again anytime. We did not fly to Kennicott because we had spent ALOT of $$ on our excursions during the cruise but I wish we had just gone ahead and did the Kennicott tour too. The staff at the lodge was so friendly and the views.....I'm unable to describe just how gorgeous the views were

Have fun!

We did the Copper River Cruisetour (14N) through Princess in May. We loved Copper River- it was the highlight of our landtour. Everyone was so nice and the views are really incredible. We were not impressed with the Princess Denali resort but loved everything else.

The bus ride from Copper River to Denali was not bad at all. I was really worried because I get motion sickness but I was fine.

The only thing that we would change for next time is to do the landtour first. It is so tiring that it would have been nice to relax on a cruise at the end.

We did a similar tour through Princess but on ours we spend 2 nights at Copper River, 2 nights in Denali and 2 nights in Fairbanks.

One thing to think about with the tour you have selected...your only spending 1 night in Denali and 1 night in Talkeetna. With all the travel involved, you won't have much time to enjoy the area. I would really recommend you change so that you can have 2 nights at each lodge. Just my opinion.

As far as the tour....I was really worried about Copper River. It's so far away from Denali and involves an 8 hour bus trip. Well.....first of all the bus trip was a beautiful drive with plenty of stops. The Copper River Lodge and area is absolutely beautiful. I loved this area, it was so relaxing. I would go there again anytime. We did not fly to Kennicott because we had spent ALOT of $$ on our excursions during the cruise but I wish we had just gone ahead and did the Kennicott tour too. The staff at the lodge was so friendly and the views.....I'm unable to describe just how gorgeous the views were

Have fun!

No, we have 2 nights in Denali, 1 each in Anchorage and McKinley, and 2 at Copper River. I believe all the tours that include Copper River also include 2 nights in Denali. I'm so looking forward to the trip from Denali to Copper River and the stay in Copper River since those are places I've never been.

Thank you all for the info re Copper River. So glad we chose this one instead of the Seward tour this time. Maybe do the Kennicott tour also since the Whitewater Jet boat we wanted is not available. The Northern Lights tips was wonderful - first time anyone has mentioned it on these boards that I know of. The next month will go so slow.

When we were at Copper River we went to the Copper Center Roadhouse for dinner. It was delicious and very relaxing. Mostly local people there. Since we didn't have a ride back the the lodge the owner took us back in his car. I would go there (the whole Copper River area) in a minute.

I'm in the process of planning a trip to Alaska for next year but this time spending 8 nights exploring the Kenai Peninsula. But......I thought for a long moment about a detour to Copper River!!

Enjoy your trip

• 6 months later...

We are doing the Copper River land tour in July 2009. Looking for ideas for excursions. Our trip also includes 2 nights at Denali with the TWT and 2 nights in Fairbanks. It was great to pull up this thread as we had questions about the Copper River lodge and the drive to Denali. How was the PWS catamaran crossing? Do you feel that you missed much by not taking the train from Whittier to Denali?

• 2 months later...

We did the Cooper River tour several years back and the lodge is lovely. They have a few walking trails. The also have a shuttle that makes a loop to the vistor center for the park. We did the jetboat tour in the morning. Ate at the Roadhouse then hopped on the shuttle to the vistor center. Also for those needing to do laundry they have coin operated machines on the 2nd floor.

The catamaran across Prince William Sound was awesome. And the bus from Valdez to Cooper River was enjoyable. They make several picture stops. For example.....stopped at the bridal falls and worthington glacier.

The bus trip for us from Cooper River to Denali was interesting but we had a bus problem on the "Old Denali Highway". Princess accomdated everyone on the bus with money back and free meals at Denali.

Enjoy your trip.

Has anyone done rafting while staying at the Princess Copper River Lodge with either the Princess rafting tour or by the independent company Alaska River Wrangellers? We will be there in early June and are considering doing rafting for an afternoon.

Archived