New England Fall Colors ?

travel1

The fall colors are unpredictable. Last year fall was late and was not yet in full color in the Boston area at Columbus day. However, things might be different in the Canadian ports. Perhaps someone will speak to that.

We are going to book a cruise out of Boston in late September. Can someone

tell me the best weeks for fall colors. I know it depends somewhat on the weather? Thanks.

Jerry

For New England meaning MA, NH, Vt, upstate NY and CT the best colors typically occur around Columbus Day. More northerly locations such as Canada and Maine could be a week or two earlier.

However, it is variable depending on weather, etc.

It does depend on the weather. A hot, dry summer means that the fall colors will start early, usually early to mid September and be past their prime by Columbus Day. A cool, wet summer means that fall color takes a bit longer to arrive and the leaves don't really start changing until late September and can linger through most, if not all, of October.

So far, we're having a very hot, dry summer here in Boston, so I would expect mid-September to be full of color for you.

We've been on two Canada/New England cruises and have never once seen any colors. On the first trip, we were on Princess leaving New York Harbor on 9/11. It got to be a joke and finally one of the friends we made brought me a handful of dead leaves. (We're from the South.) The 2nd cruise was mid-September but again, no Fall colors. It didn't matter as we thoroughly enjoyed both of the trips! In Boston, don't miss eating at "Ye Old Oyster House" on the Freedom Walk. It's the oldest restaurant in the US and has the most delicious clam chowder.

We've been on two Canada/New England cruises and have never once seen any colors. On the first trip, we were on Princess leaving New York Harbor on 9/11. It got to be a joke and finally one of the friends we made brought me a handful of dead leaves. (We're from the South.) The 2nd cruise was mid-September but again, no Fall colors. It didn't matter as we thoroughly enjoyed both of the trips! In Boston, don't miss eating at "Ye Old Oyster House" on the Freedom Walk. It's the oldest restaurant in the US and has the most delicious clam chowder.

I have to agree with Keith, if you are looking for fall colors you have to go in fall. Mid September is still summer.

I also agree with them; if you want to be sure and see at least some decent fall color; be it at peak, the start or the end, your best shot is October. You may find a few random trees in September but to really see New England at it's finest you would be better off waiting a few more weeks.

Archived