Orlova

MMDown Under

I don't have first hand experience of the Orlova, however, I did come across an extensive review of a trip on the Orlova when I was doing research for our voyage. A bit dated (2004). If you'd like me to email the Word file to you, post your email address and I'll send it to you.

MMDown Under - Hubby and I sailed on the Orlova to the Antarctic Peninsula in Dec 2007. We had a great time. I had done exhaustive searches on-line for photos of the ship, reviews etc. We knew in advance that this was not the "Love Boat" type ship. We weren't going to Antarctica for the ship anyway - we wanted penguins, and boy did we get those. I'd recommend the ship in a heartbeat.

The Orlova handled the Drake Passage as well as any ship would. It's the Drake Passage, yes, you rocked back and forth. Yes, you rolled back and forth. And yes, people stumbled. Thats what sea sickness meds are for :) There are grab bars all over the ship to hold onto. They tell you day one to keep one hand empty, "for the ship". Always have a hand steadying you. The rooms are basic, somewhat dated, but all you really do in there is sleep and the beds were comfortable enough.

We were in cabin 504 (right near the exercise room and the dining room). We had two beds, a night stand, two ottoman type things with flip top storage, a tv, a refrigerator and a storage closet. I never saw any of the other cabins...sorry, I cant be of more help there.

The food was really good. Breakfast was a buffet, and at lunch and dinner you were given a choice of a meat, fish or vegetarian meal. There was also a salad bar set up. Dinner had an extra soup course.

There was a main lounge where we had daily briefings and lectures - many people fell asleep in this room - I did acouple of times. I think it was a combination of the rocking of the ship (the lounge is in the front) and the dramamine meds. So sleepy. There is also a library with books to read, games to play and a coffee/tea station. Then there was the bar area with additional tables and seating and the bar (of course). Ooooh, there is also a small store on board, t-shirts, post cards, socks, etc and some toiletries.

Let me know if you have any other specific question - more than happy to answer them. It truly is a trip of a lifetime. I'm ready to go again.

I have several pictures of the ship and I have links to fellow passenger pictures if you'd like to see them. Not sure of teh rules on posting links, but i may be able to put them in a post. Let me see what I have handy.

Thank you so much for your response. It is always nice to hear from someone who has had a great time on a ship. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime.

My daughter is booked in January 2009.

I passed your comments, as well as h2so4's, on to her.

Hope this link works - still new to posting and links and such. They may be a little out of order. We did a driving tour of Buenos Aires during our transfer between airports. This is only 122 picutes - I actually took 1200 pictures. I think I printed 680 for the photo album. I hate to imagine how many we would have if I hadn't broken one of the cameras. :( Here is a tip - do not leave your camera on any surface higher than the bed. I had left mine on the storage cabinet (about 4' tall) and found it on the floor busted open - darn those waves, but lesson learned. Thank goodness we both brought cameras.

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/FandFmom/Antarctica%20December%202007/

h2so4 - I've seen your pictures - I actually have them saved under "my favorites". I must have looked at them a hundered times before our trip (OK, maybe not that many times, but a lot). :o

Thanks for posting your link FandFmom - perfect way to entertain myself on my lunch break. Looks like you guys had good weather and made it to Melchior ... our zodiac landing there was canceled due to a bad storm; it would have been our last one in the peninsula region. Can't complain much, though, since we were so very lucky with our other landings.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Co-incidentally, MY daughter was on the Orlova in January of 2008 on a study abroad. She loved the ship and the crew. She said that while the accomodations were not that of a Princess ship... naturally... it was very comfortable. The food was quite good...and somehow the child that I put on an airplane at JFK came home actually liking asparagus....

They had about 100 passengers on their cruise, which meant that anyone who wanted to go ashore could any time they stoped. They averaged 3 landings a day. I have had it made VERY clear to me that I must take that trip someday, and on that ship LOL.

Yes, the crossings were a bit rough, especially the return, but she would do it again in a heartbeat.

MMDown Under,

How was your daughter's trip? Would she recommend the Orlova to others?

Archived