Different rates

Pelle

If you book a hotel anywhere in the world the rates are the same for

everyone.

Is it known among cruise customers that rates for the same cruise differ

enormously due to where you live?

With NCL rates for a Mediterranian cruise are up to 50 % less if you are an American. It is not fair.

We, my wife and I, were interested in the cruise with Norwegian Jade 10/01/2008, 12-Day Egypt & Greek Isles Athens to Istanbul.

We wished to book EE (Oceanview stateroom), or BC (Balcony stateroom).

We had to pay 1.519 Euro(EE) or 1.819 Euro(BC), each.

The US site offers EE for 1.699 USD (=1.090 EUR!), BC for 2.249 USD (=1.435 EUR!)

Why can´t I as an European book via an American site?

everyone.

Is it known among cruise customers that rates for the same cruise differ

enormously due to where you live?

With NCL rates for a Mediterranian cruise are up to 50 % less if you are an American. It is not fair.

We, my wife and I, were interested in the cruise with Norwegian Jade 10/01/2008, 12-Day Egypt & Greek Isles Athens to Istanbul.

We wished to book EE (Oceanview stateroom), or BC (Balcony stateroom).

We had to pay 1.519 Euro(EE) or 1.819 Euro(BC), each.

The US site offers EE for 1.699 USD (=1.090 EUR!), BC for 2.249 USD (=1.435 EUR!)Why can´t I as an European book via an American site?

Your are right. It isn't fair, but they probably feel sorry for us since our economy is going down the crapper. Honestly, I have not, in my 57 years, seen the economy as bad as now. It makes me think twice on who I am going to vote into office.:mad:

everyone.

quote]

Hotel rates the same for everyone? Not in my experience, they have AAA, AARP, Over 60, Military, every organization known to man, Discount travel (those books found in roadside parks), Orbitz, Hotel.xxx, Priceline, etc. rates. The only rate that only a fool would pay is the printed "Rack Rate" Same with cruises, they use discounts for any segment of the population they are trying to attract. Have you tried going through some of the online TA's?

Hotels rates vary as much as airline (and cruise) prices! Yes--they do post a "maximum" rate on the door, but if you poll all the guests, no two will have paid the same! (I was in the hotel industry for YEARS--prices vary widely!!!)

everyone.

quote]

Hotel rates the same for everyone? Not in my experience, they have AAA, AARP, Over 60, Military, every organization known to man, Discount travel (those books found in roadside parks), Orbitz, Hotel.xxx, Priceline, etc. rates. The only rate that only a fool would pay is the printed "Rack Rate" Same with cruises, they use discounts for any segment of the population they are trying to attract. Have you tried going through some of the online TA's?

So true! And, then there are the Hawaiian Islands, where everyone who lives on those islands are given an identity card....and the prices they pay for everything from groceries to gifts to car rentals are much, much cheaper than for visitors. Same thing applies on most Caribbean islands, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful from who you book your cruise. A few years ago a family from Australia booked their cruise trough a US TA's website. When they got to the port before boarding they were asked to pay the difference between the Australian price and the US price, or they would not be allowed on the ship.

They grudgingly paid the difference.

I can not remember which cruise line it was. I know it made the news that evening.

icon7.gif

Archived