Wine Tasting Question

2Oregonians

Hubby & I will be traveling with my parents who are Elite Members. (We are lowly Gold Members. :( ) Dad loves wine but Mom can't stand it. I may have my info wrong here, but as an Elite Member, can't my Dad go to this event for free? My question is - since Mom won't be attending, can Dad take my husband in her place for free, or would they charge my husband since HE is not an Elite member himself? In other words, can my husband be a substitute for my mom and go for free? I bet I know the answer already (no), but thought I'd ask you fine, intelligent people anyway. Btw, how much is this event for people who have to pay for it? When is it held usually? Where is it held on the Golden? What is the dress? And what exactly occurs, such as how many varieties do you get to taste, how much of each, and is there caviar and/or other hors d'oeuvres? Thank you so much for your answers. Can't wait!! It's only 9 days now!! :D

In theory, no, your husband couldn't attend in lieu of your mom. In practice, I would guess he could get away with it. The most honest way to go about it would be to ask if your father could take a guest. This might be successful. An alternative would be for your husband to flash your mom's black (Elite) card upon entrance to the dining room for the event. I'm guessing that would be successful.

In theory, no, your husband couldn't attend in lieu of your mom. In practice, I would guess he could get away with it. The most honest way to go about it would be to ask if your father could take a guest. This might be successful. An alternative would be for your husband to flash your mom's black (Elite) card upon entrance to the dining room for the event. I'm guessing that would be successful.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll run it past my parents when they get here next Tuesday. Did I mention I can't wait? lol :D

Only the Elite member gets the wine tasting for free and they are not allowed to bring a guest for free. I know this because I sail with my mom who is elite and I am not and whenever we do the wine tasting I have to pay. I seem to recall that it was $9.00 last month on the Grand. The last time I did it was two years ago on the Sea Princess and at that time they came to each table and made an imprint of everyone's card, so I doubt your husband could use your mom's card. Even if he could get away with it, he is not entitled to the wine tasting for free if he is not an elite member.

Only the Elite member gets the wine tasting for free and they are not allowed to bring a guest for free. I know this because I sail with my mom who is elite and I am not and whenever we do the wine tasting I have to pay. I seem to recall that it was $9.00 last month on the Grand. The last time I did it was two years ago on the Sea Princess and at that time they came to each table and made an imprint of everyone's card, so I doubt your husband could use your mom's card. Even if he could get away with it, he is not entitled to the wine tasting for free if he is not an elite member.

See how much I know. :D I thought it was still $7.50. Inflation everywhere.

Pia

See how much I know. :D I thought it was still $7.50. Inflation everywhere.

Pia

Don't feel too bad....When I first went it was $5. :o

Did it once --- would not do it again.

If you cruise with us (Floataway Gang) in 2010 maybe you could hand over some of your freebies to me - sure could use some....;)

Don't feel too bad....When I first went it was $5. :o

Did it once --- would not do it again.

If you cruise with us (Floataway Gang) in 2010 maybe you could hand over some of your freebies to me - sure could use some....;)

I'll do my best for 2010; would love to meet the gang. Someone had better decide with whom and when pretty soon, since I book my cruises way ahead. You can have some of my free booze setup (:) ) if we sail on Princess.

2Oregonians - I just now noticed your signature statement:

Caveat, Disclaimer, whatever you want to call it:

Please do not yell at me for stating my opinion in my post. I'm not posting it so it can be dissected and analyzed. I'm here for fun. Thank you.

How did I ever miss it first time around? It's absolutely PERFECT, and I would tack it on to mine, but don't want to be guilty of such blatant plagiarism.

FWIW, wine tasting was $9.50pp on the Golden in January. And don't forget the ubiquitous 15% tip! They did not "process" our Elite cards...just noted the color.

Happy travels!

2Oregonians - I just now noticed your signature statement:

Caveat, Disclaimer, whatever you want to call it:

Please do not yell at me for stating my opinion in my post. I'm not posting it so it can be dissected and analyzed. I'm here for fun. Thank you.

How did I ever miss it first time around? It's absolutely PERFECT, and I would tack it on to mine, but don't want to be guilty of such blatant plagiarism.

Plagiarize to your heart's content. You have my blessing. I found that statement in my signature to be necessary, if you know what I mean. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

DW and I paid $9 on the CB this past September, for the "low end" tasting. Will be skipping it this October, in favor of the chefs table. :p

we were disappointed that in the last three cruises in 2 years the wine tastings had the exact same wines in all tastings... so we will pass from now on.

We did the chef's table on our last two cruises, it is great! If you are wanting to see more about the chef's table click on link in my signature about chef;s table and it will take you to the video I made on the last two chef's table we did. Yum, I am hungry now

can someone tell me what is included for the $9 or $9.50 wine tastings? Is this one of the things to do that are worthwhile if I've never been to one? Thanks!

It usually includes two whites, two reds, and dessert wine (that we love and now buy) and you get to keep the glass that the dessert wine comes in.

It is very informative and give you the chance to try some wines you may not have, all were reasonably priced. You can learn a little about wine and what to do and not do... and you get to meet fellow passengers.

It usually includes two whites, two reds, and dessert wine (that we love and now buy) and you get to keep the glass that the dessert wine comes in.

It is very informative and give you the chance to try some wines you may not have, all were reasonably priced. You can learn a little about wine and what to do and not do... and you get to meet fellow passengers.

We just went to this wine tasting on the CB on the 6/22 sailing. We did not get to keep the glass. But I will agree...the dessert wine was really good! They also put a little cheese and some crackers in the center of the table.

We had nice people at our table and it was nice getting to meet some new folks.

I'll do my best for 2010; would love to meet the gang. Someone had better decide with whom and when pretty soon, since I book my cruises way ahead. You can have some of my free booze setup (:) ) if we sail on Princess.

Ok, done deal.

Being we are cruising (On Princess ;)) sometime in July, we'll have to wait until the new sailings come out.

I had a thread going, informing everyone but it was pulled :rolleyes: So far 22 of us, make that now 24 ;) are ready and maybe more. This is going to be some cruise.

...and dessert wine (that we love and now buy) ...

Us too. We would never have known about it except through the wine tasting, so that marketing effort pays off. Now we buy that wine every cruise and nurse it through a couple of evenings. It's called Eru....something.

Us too. We would never have known about it except through the wine tasting, so that marketing effort pays off. Now we buy that wine every cruise and nurse it through a couple of evenings. It's called Eru....something.

This one?

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/12/21/dessert-wine-notes-errazuriz-sauvignon-blanc-2005-late-harvest/

Love it. :)

(Discovered without benefit of Princess wine tasting!)

I discovered the Murietta's Well Red Vendimia at the second wine tasting on the Crown a couple of years ago, and still love it today. After much searching at home, I was able to get a case. I have one bottle left...time to reorder.:D

This one?

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/12/21/dessert-wine-notes-errazuriz-sauvignon-blanc-2005-late-harvest/

Love it. :)

(Discovered without benefit of Princess wine tasting!)

yes that is the one, it is so good. We now buy it regularily at home and keep it in the frigde and treat ourselves every so often. Makes me feel like I am a cruise.

That's the one! Thanks for supplying this link...it was fun to read all the info. And clever you for finding it on your own. We attend wine tastings at our local wine shop just because we're too scaredy to just venture out on our own. A couple of finds like this one would raise our confidence!

I discovered the Murietta's Well Red Vendimia at the second wine tasting on the Crown a couple of years ago, and still love it today. After much searching at home, I was able to get a case. I have one bottle left...time to reorder.:D

One of our favorites and since we live less than 45 minutes from the winerey it is easy for us to get a case or 2 before it sells out to the public.. :D:D

Archived