San Pedro, Crowne Plaza, Trader Joe's, Wine and Flowers

Teetype

I posted this in our roll call, but it seemed to me it might be helpful to anyone leaving from this port -- whether driving in or flying in.

We live about 1 1/2 hours from the port in San Pedro, but we're doing a "Park and Cruise" at Crowne plaza the night before the cruise. For one fee, the Plaza keeps our car for the week (up to 15 days actually), toasts us with a drink that night, feeds us in the morning, dumps us off at the ship and picks us up a week later. Not a bad deal.

For those of you flying in the night before, they had another nifty one: "Fly and Cruise." They pick you up at LAX, toast you, feed you, dump you at the ship then get you back to LAX after the cruise. Kinda smoothes a lot of bumps.

Also, there's a Trader Joe's 3.58 miles from the Plaza. For those of you unfamiliar with TJ's, it's a GREAT place to get wine and flowers to take on the cruise and thus avoid the weight in your luggage for the flight. The Plaza also has a shuttle that will take registered guests anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel.

Just a FYI, if anyone's interested. :)

Tee

Wow, that does sound like a nice convenient way to cruise out of LA.

If my heart weren't set on staying on the Queen Mary the night before our Hawaii cruise in April I would definitely be looking into this arrangement :)

I posted this in our roll call, but it seemed to me it might be helpful to anyone leaving from this port -- whether driving in or flying in.

We live about 1 1/2 hours from the port in San Pedro, but we're doing a "Park and Cruise" at Crowne plaza the night before the cruise. For one fee, the Plaza keeps our car for the week (up to 15 days actually), toasts us with a drink that night, feeds us in the morning, dumps us off at the ship and picks us up a week later. Not a bad deal.

For those of you flying in the night before, they had another nifty one: "Fly and Cruise." They pick you up at LAX, toast you, feed you, dump you at the ship then get you back to LAX after the cruise. Kinda smoothes a lot of bumps.

Also, there's a Trader Joe's 3.58 miles from the Plaza. For those of you unfamiliar with TJ's, it's a GREAT place to get wine and flowers to take on the cruise and thus avoid the weight in your luggage for the flight. The Plaza also has a shuttle that will take registered guests anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel.

Just a FYI, if anyone's interested. :)

Tee

I guess a person would need to call the hotel to get prices for the "Fly and Cruise" deal as there was absolutely no information on the hotel website about the deal. In fact, they charge $15 for a shuttle pickup from LAX as an ala carte option.

I guess a person would need to call the hotel to get prices for the "Fly and Cruise" deal as there was absolutely no information on the hotel website about the deal. In fact, they charge $15 for a shuttle pickup from LAX as an ala carte option.

Hi There:

I just went to their site again and confirmed it is available. As far as I can tell, one of three things is happening:

When you search, search ONLY for "Best Available"

When the results come up, choose "View Hotel Packages" NOT "View Room Rates."

Finally, if that "Fly and Cruise" is not one of the packages, then it's not available for your dates.

Good luck with it :)

Tee

Ah yes, Two Buck Chuck. We don't have Trader Joe's here in Oklahoma but love to grab a bottle or two anytime we're near one out west.

We're sailing the Spirit out of San Diego in January and have already planned on grabbing three or four bottles to enjoy on the verandah.

If you're just looking for wine you don't have to go all the way to TJ's to find it. Come visit us at Off the Vine at the corner of 6th and Pacific (three blocks west of the CP) We also hold wine tastings every Friday and Saturday. Welcome to San Pedro!!! :)

Hi There:

I just went to their site again and confirmed it is available. As far as I can tell, one of three things is happening:

When you search, search ONLY for "Best Available"

When the results come up, choose "View Hotel Packages" NOT "View Room Rates."

Finally, if that "Fly and Cruise" is not one of the packages, then it's not available for your dates.

Good luck with it :)

Tee

Thanks for the tips. I didn't try checking for room availability to see if the packages were offered. They are.

When I checked Crowne Plaza online last week they were offering the fly and cruise for $219 the end of August. Not a screamin' deal but not bad either.

If you can get the CP on Priceline for $65-70 (which many people have had success doing), then you can book the shuttle on your own for about $35pp round trip. You can have breakfast a block away at the Grinder restaurant for about $8/per person. A little more work, but a lot less money.:D

As for wine, I'd go to the Von's supermarket on Gaffey at 12th or 13th, also within the shuttle range. They have a good selection of wines, at least the Californians and if you have a Safeway or Von's card their sale prices are often very, very good. And you get an extra 10% off on a 6-pack. I used to love TJ's for wine, but the selection in San Pedro (where I shop on a regular basis) has gotten quite ordinary - they'll have the occasional deal on limited quantities, but overall Von's beats them now.

Having stayed at both the Crowne Plaza and the Double Tree Inn we are kind of partial to the DTI which has nicer rooms and offers the same parking packages and free shuttles as the CP. Both are nice but the DTI is our favourite.:)

If you can get the CP on Priceline for $65-70 (which many people have had success doing), then you can book the shuttle on your own for about $35pp round trip. You can have breakfast a block away at the Grinder restaurant for about $8/per person. A little more work, but a lot less money.:D

As for wine, I'd go to the Von's supermarket on Gaffey at 12th or 13th, also within the shuttle range. They have a good selection of wines, at least the Californians and if you have a Safeway or Von's card their sale prices are often very, very good. And you get an extra 10% off on a 6-pack. I used to love TJ's for wine, but the selection in San Pedro (where I shop on a regular basis) has gotten quite ordinary - they'll have the occasional deal on limited quantities, but overall Von's beats them now.

Now that's funny. I didn't think the big grocers would ever beat TJ in the wine dept. I may just pick up the wines in Redlands on my way in, then. Our Tjs is terrific.

Tee

Uhmmm...

Just an FYI, but

this information on the Park and Sail packages,

wine and liquor stores,

pictures and info all over the hotel and the area,

overhead maps,

pictures and directions of shuttle routes,

restaurant info,

contact info,

priceline info,

have all been available already on this thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

Click on that to get to it all.:D

Uhmmm...

Just an FYI, but

wine and liquor stores,

overhead maps,

restaurant info,

contact info,

priceline info,

*chuckle* These boards have repeat information every other post. Remember being a newbie and learning to navigate CC?

The repetitive information you cite is all in response to questions asked.:)

Cheers!

Tee

If you're just looking for wine you don't have to go all the way to TJ's to find it. Come visit us at Off the Vine at the corner of 6th and Pacific (three blocks west of the CP) We also hold wine tastings every Friday and Saturday. Welcome to San Pedro!!! :)

What time do you have the tastings?

Uhmmm...

Just an FYI, but

wine and liquor stores,

overhead maps,

restaurant info,

contact info,

priceline info,

Would help if the search function was working properly on this site. It makes it difficult for people to find information, so instead we have a bunch of repeated threads. Would be nice if they would fix the function, might make it easier and a lot less double, triple threads of asking the same question. Just my humble opinion. ;)

Fridays 4p-9p and Saturdays 2p-9p

Info on our events at www.*****

Thanks!!!

We are still seriously considering staying at the DT in San Pedro on Thursday night. Our group of friends start coming in on Friday and we are switching to the QM for 2 nights to be with all of them. I really am going to try to swing by. If nothing more to say hi.

We are still seriously considering staying at the DT in San Pedro on Thursday night. Our group of friends start coming in on Friday and we are switching to the QM for 2 nights to be with all of them. I really am going to try to swing by. If nothing more to say hi.

None of my business but you may want to check on some of the reviews on the QM. If you are a history buff then fine but if you are looking for a bit of luxury.....well check the reviews.

None of my business but you may want to check on some of the reviews on the QM. If you are a history buff then fine but if you are looking for a bit of luxury.....well check the reviews.

Since I am the one who first brought it up, I have already been advised that this is the world's worst hotel on the world's greatest liner. Since we are only spending one night on her, which will be spent seeing the ship, I am willing to take my chances.

Since I am the one who first brought it up, I have already been advised that this is the world's worst hotel on the world's greatest liner. Since we are only spending one night on her, which will be spent seeing the ship, I am willing to take my chances.

That is a funny description. Good luck with your stay.

Archived