Mariner 6/29-7/6 Western (long)

My husband, daughter, and I just spent a lovely week onboard the Mariner. We have cruised on two Voyager class ships before, and the Mariner is far and away the loveliest. It’s hard to say why. It would seem that RCCL took note of a few areas for improvement on earlier ships, and went to work on this ship. In any case, we loved the ship.

Boarding could not have been easier. We arrived about 11:30, breezed through security, and were having lunch in the Windjammer by noon. Our room was ready by 1:00 as promised. The afternoon went by quickly as we sat by the pool, took part in the dreaded muster drill (which, by the way, was the least painful one we’ve ever had!), sailed away, and prepared for dinner.

Dinner was uneventful. Our dinner partners on the first evening were a very nice family. However, they were traveling with a large group and had been promised they would all be seated together. Needless to say, they were a bit disappointed to be seated with us. Still, we enjoyed the conversation and the meal with them and we were able to count them among the nice people we met onboard. The next night they had been moved and replaced by another lovely family who had a daughter close in age to ours. The girls got along quite well and we enjoyed dining with and getting to know these folks during the week.

The first at sea day was really nice. Chair hogging was not a problem since many people didn’t know they would have a problem getting a chair later. By the last day at sea, there were no chairs to be had by 9:00 as everyone had caught on. However, by late afternoon chairs were plentiful. It never hurts to ask someone if a chair next to them is available. I simply asked a gentleman about the chair next to him and he told me that no, the girl who had been using the chair that still had a towel on it would not be coming back and I was welcome to sit. I did. End of dilemma.

The dining room was good—not great. But if I can get a meal that has been cooked by someone besides me, enjoy foods that I would never eat otherwise, and have it served to me by someone with a smile, I’m okay with that. Our waiter and assistant were great. The AW was a bit more personable than the waiter (I know, the waiter is too busy to make nice), but we did see more of him because he worked in the WJ every morning where we ate breakfast. Chops, on the other hand, was fabulous. We have never used the specialty restaurants before, so this was a first for us. It will not be the last! The food and service were outstanding! Sadly, I remember when the service in the dining room was like that.

We used room service once for breakfast. It arrived right on time and was delicious. I’m not sure if the food was really that much better or if it was just so nice to be able to eat in our pajamas on the balcony. Johnny Rocket’s for lunch was excellent and fun as ever.

We are not ship shore excursion people. In Jamaica we used Marva Shaw for the Dunn’s River Falls/River Tubing/Reggae Beach tour. It was great. The tour was reasonably priced and her son was an excellent guide. He even walked us down to a convenience store to buy some snacks when we were stopped up the street. The tubing was lots of fun, and so was the falls. But a word of warning: the falls is not for the faint of heart. We had done it 16 years ago, and I had forgotten how difficult it could be. Our guide was also very accommodating when several members of our group chose to go shopping instead of going to the beach. I would definitely used Marva again. In Grand Cayman we just got off the ship and did some shopping—no big deal. Tendering back and forth from the ship was easy, and although they discourage going back and forth more than once, it could be done easily enough. In Cozumel we booked Playa Uvas for clear kayaking and lunch. We did not see a lot of fish with the kayak, but the experience was great fun. We did do some snorkeling on our own and saw quite a few fish. Lunch was very good, and an open bar was part of the package. Labadee was beautiful but hot. We stopped at Barefoot Beach, but I would recommend going on to Hideaway or going across to the beach that fronts the zip line—much breezier. Lunch was somewhat disappointing—no frills and no ice water unless you bought it from the bar in bottles. We walked out to Dragon’s Breath Point and that was interesting.

Our stateroom 8566 was the quietest we’ve ever had. Whether we just had quiet neighbors or the walls were better insulated I don’t know, but even the halls were silent. Our stateroom attendant was terrific. Gotta love the towel animals.

If I have one complaint it has to be the luggage retrieval at Port Canaveral. We had done DCL a couple of years and just assumed RCCL would use the same type of system (okay, bad assumption, I know). That business of standing around waiting for bags to come off a belt is for the birds. The area is small and becomes more and more crowded as more colors are called off the ship. We were the second tags to be called, but our luggage did not come off until three other colors had been called. We waited almost 40 minutes for bags. We had an 11:30 flight, so we were getting a little antsy just standing around. We had arranged for Cocoa Beach Shuttle to take us to MCO and they were right outside the terminal. However, they said we were waiting for another group of eight who were just about to clear customs so we were a little afraid we might be there awhile. When we expressed our need to get to the airport, they put us on another van, and we were on our way in 15 minutes. The trip to MCO took maybe 45 minutes.

This may have been the most relaxing cruise we have ever taken. I like the fact that it was not so port intensive. The staff was friendly from Day 1 to the very end. They never acted like they couldn’t wait to get rid of us. We would definitely consider taking the Mariner again next year out of LA. It sounds like a good trip. Question is: Can we afford the airfare by this time next year? Maybe I should book it today. . .

My husband, daughter, and I just spent a lovely week onboard the Mariner. We have cruised on two Voyager class ships before, and the Mariner is far and away the loveliest. It’s hard to say why. It would seem that RCCL took note of a few areas for improvement on earlier ships, and went to work on this ship. In any case, we loved the ship.

Boarding could not have been easier. We arrived about 11:30, breezed through security, and were having lunch in the Windjammer by noon. Our room was ready by 1:00 as promised. The afternoon went by quickly as we sat by the pool, took part in the dreaded muster drill (which, by the way, was the least painful one we’ve ever had!), sailed away, and prepared for dinner.

Dinner was uneventful. Our dinner partners on the first evening were a very nice family. However, they were traveling with a large group and had been promised they would all be seated together. Needless to say, they were a bit disappointed to be seated with us. Still, we enjoyed the conversation and the meal with them and we were able to count them among the nice people we met onboard. The next night they had been moved and replaced by another lovely family who had a daughter close in age to ours. The girls got along quite well and we enjoyed dining with and getting to know these folks during the week.

The first at sea day was really nice. Chair hogging was not a problem since many people didn’t know they would have a problem getting a chair later. By the last day at sea, there were no chairs to be had by 9:00 as everyone had caught on. However, by late afternoon chairs were plentiful. It never hurts to ask someone if a chair next to them is available. I simply asked a gentleman about the chair next to him and he told me that no, the girl who had been using the chair that still had a towel on it would not be coming back and I was welcome to sit. I did. End of dilemma.

The dining room was good—not great. But if I can get a meal that has been cooked by someone besides me, enjoy foods that I would never eat otherwise, and have it served to me by someone with a smile, I’m okay with that. Our waiter and assistant were great. The AW was a bit more personable than the waiter (I know, the waiter is too busy to make nice), but we did see more of him because he worked in the WJ every morning where we ate breakfast. Chops, on the other hand, was fabulous. We have never used the specialty restaurants before, so this was a first for us. It will not be the last! The food and service were outstanding! Sadly, I remember when the service in the dining room was like that.

We used room service once for breakfast. It arrived right on time and was delicious. I’m not sure if the food was really that much better or if it was just so nice to be able to eat in our pajamas on the balcony. Johnny Rocket’s for lunch was excellent and fun as ever.

We are not ship shore excursion people. In Jamaica we used Marva Shaw for the Dunn’s River Falls/River Tubing/Reggae Beach tour. It was great. The tour was reasonably priced and her son was an excellent guide. He even walked us down to a convenience store to buy some snacks when we were stopped up the street. The tubing was lots of fun, and so was the falls. But a word of warning: the falls is not for the faint of heart. We had done it 16 years ago, and I had forgotten how difficult it could be. Our guide was also very accommodating when several members of our group chose to go shopping instead of going to the beach. I would definitely used Marva again. In Grand Cayman we just got off the ship and did some shopping—no big deal. Tendering back and forth from the ship was easy, and although they discourage going back and forth more than once, it could be done easily enough. In Cozumel we booked Playa Uvas for clear kayaking and lunch. We did not see a lot of fish with the kayak, but the experience was great fun. We did do some snorkeling on our own and saw quite a few fish. Lunch was very good, and an open bar was part of the package. Labadee was beautiful but hot. We stopped at Barefoot Beach, but I would recommend going on to Hideaway or going across to the beach that fronts the zip line—much breezier. Lunch was somewhat disappointing—no frills and no ice water unless you bought it from the bar in bottles. We walked out to Dragon’s Breath Point and that was interesting.

Our stateroom 8566 was the quietest we’ve ever had. Whether we just had quiet neighbors or the walls were better insulated I don’t know, but even the halls were silent. Our stateroom attendant was terrific. Gotta love the towel animals.

If I have one complaint it has to be the luggage retrieval at Port Canaveral. We had done DCL a couple of years and just assumed RCCL would use the same type of system (okay, bad assumption, I know). That business of standing around waiting for bags to come off a belt is for the birds. The area is small and becomes more and more crowded as more colors are called off the ship. We were the second tags to be called, but our luggage did not come off until three other colors had been called. We waited almost 40 minutes for bags. We had an 11:30 flight, so we were getting a little antsy just standing around. We had arranged for Cocoa Beach Shuttle to take us to MCO and they were right outside the terminal. However, they said we were waiting for another group of eight who were just about to clear customs so we were a little afraid we might be there awhile. When we expressed our need to get to the airport, they put us on another van, and we were on our way in 15 minutes. The trip to MCO took maybe 45 minutes.

This may have been the most relaxing cruise we have ever taken. I like the fact that it was not so port intensive. The staff was friendly from Day 1 to the very end. They never acted like they couldn’t wait to get rid of us. We would definitely consider taking the Mariner again next year out of LA. It sounds like a good trip. Question is: Can we afford the airfare by this time next year? Maybe I should book it today. . .

I have to totally agree with the fact about being one of the best cruises becausemy family and I were there as well. Everyone was friendly and it was just great.

Can not wait to see how the staff is on New Years when I go back!:D

Thanks for that great review. We set sail on August 3.

I have never eaten at specialty restaraunts before but am considering it this cruise. Did you eat at Portofino too? Did they have the mystery dinner at Portofino? We were hoping to get involved with that, but we may try Chops too since everyone says how fabulous it is.

I agree, luggage retrieval at PC is a nightmare. We went on Carnival in 06 and the luggage retrieval at that terminal was sooo much easier. The bags were on tables, not riding on a belt. It's weird, because it's the same port, why don't they communicate with each other? :rolleyes:

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise! I can't wait to be there in 5 months! :D

Thanks for the review. Sorry you had issues with you luggage. We have sailed form Port Canaveral three times and have always gotten our luggage very quickly. I can understand the stress of waiting when you have an early flight though. We had our flight changed to 11:20 when we got off the Mariner in June. We lucked out with luggage off quickly and a private car waiting, got to the airport before 9am.

Just wondering, what nights do you think would be best to skip dining room and go to the specialty restaurants. Going in October Western itinerary and trying to decide if I want to try them or not. TIA

If you are going western caribean then Wednesday and Thursday are the days to skip imo. Wednesday is what used to the Caribean night and my dw and i do not like the menu. Now thursday night is formal night and was normally lobster night so we had our reservation for friday because we do not want to miss lobster but then found out that lobster night was changed to friday night. This is the reason for my nights of choice.

I have to totally agree with the fact about being one of the best cruises becausemy family and I were there as well. Everyone was friendly and it was just great.

Can not wait to see how the staff is on New Years when I go back!:D

Hey, come back to our Roll Call! It's been 3 months!!!!!! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=564944

Archived