Help! Torn in Nov between HAL Noordam and Carnival Spirit...

seafun

Can I ask for some opinions here? :D (I knew I could.)

I'm torn between two cruises in November...

HAL Noordam -- 10 day Southern Caribbean to 5 ports, 4 of them new to me. "Minor" islands, some of them relatively undiscovered... :rolleyes:

Carnival Spirit - 8 day Mexican Riviera to 3 ports, all new to me, but very "traditional" and developed ports (well, maybe not Manzanillo or Zihua...)

The background info -- I've cruised both lines and love them both...

Carnival - more lively crowd, food great. Have a reservation for an extended balcony room on the Panorama Deck mid ship (sweet! :D ) 8 days, Pacific ocean, early November, so possibly bumpier ride. Haven't been to Mexico for 20 years; should be fun.

HAL - more "refined, sedate" crowd, great food as well. Can get a oceanview for less money (duh) -- with beautiful Caribbean views, 5 new ports, smoother sailing. I've done the Caribbean the last two years, and I love it! More formal nights and I love that. Plus - 2 more days on the cruise! Minus - pretty slow nightlife. Again -- 2 more days on board!

Airfare prices to get to each is within a couple hundred, so not a big deal.

I"m wondering which you would choose and why. Right now, as much as I love Carnival, I'm leaning toward HAL, mainly because of the two more days and the new ports and beautiful Caribbean water! But maybe I'm forgetting that sometimes HAL "sedate" is TOO sedate...

I guess the bottom line is both would be great, but I'd love to hear opinions. :) Thanks!!

I haven't been on the Noordam, but I have heard glorious things about her. I have been on Zuiderdam and Oosterdam--and loved the Oosterdam!

I have also been on the Spirit twice on the 8-day Mexican Riviera cruise.

The Spirit is a very nice ship--great layout. Cabin was spacious and loved the wide balcony. Cabin steward and dining room staff were excellent. Food was very good, but lacked the beautiful presentation of HAL.

A great difference in ship decor and atmosphere. I think shows are better on Carnival and there is more nightlife on Carnival--though the Spirit is not a "party ship."

I loved Zihua/Ixtapa... Manzanillo is a industrial port --not much to see or do really. Alcapulco is beautiful to sail into, but recently more and more complaints are being voiced by visitors.

If it were me, I'd go for the Noordam, without ANY hesitation--more interesting ports, newer, elegant ship, better quality of service/food PLUS 2 days more !

Have a great cruise, whichever you choose.

I appreciate all the feedback I can get. It's going to be a tough decision. Originally I was going to do the Spirit and the Elation, filling up my two weeks off. But As I think about it more, I'm pretty tempted to do another HAL "Southern" route (which I loved).

Two years ago I did the Volendam -- Aruba, Curacao, Dominica, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay, etc, and loved it so much, I'm thinking that the newer Noordam should be a pretty good choice. And probably with that many ports that are new to me, I won't mind possibly slower nightlife and not so much emphasis on the shows.

And if I give up the extended balcony on Spirit, I can do the 12 day for much cheaper than the two Carnival choices.

I did a spectacular 15 day trip to Egypt in February, one of the best trips of my life, but I missed the traditional elegance of HAL, and have been thinking of it since then.

Anyone else care to contribute? Thanks! :)

Decisions, decisions....

While I love the Spirit Class Carnival ships, I would nevertheless go with the Noordam. Al other things being pretty much equal, I will always give the edge to HAL. Here, you have a longer cruise with a much better itinerary IMHO.

it's the people who sail on her. I would always choose HAL over Carnival. Since we are a bit snobish, we like to choose who we spend time with and most Carnival passengers aren't them. I also don't like the glitz of Carnival or the noise from the climbing walls, water slides, etc. To me a cruise is for relaxation not regurgitation.

it's the people who sail on her. I would always choose HAL over Carnival. Since we are a bit snobish, we like to choose who we spend time with and most Carnival passengers aren't them. I also don't like the glitz of Carnival or the noise from the climbing walls, water slides, etc. To me a cruise is for relaxation not regurgitation.

You are not only a snob you are confused . The rock climbing walls are on Royal Carribbean

I used to be a die hard Carnival customer (previously doing 8 cruises with them) but after our last cruise May 09 on The Spirit never again. The ship was in bad need of repair, torn seats, dirty furniture and it was the first time I had been on a cruise where the piano bar had no one in it due to the person playing he was horrible. We have now booked on the Oosterdam for January 09 and havent read a bad thing about it, looking forward to the change. Remember one thing you get what you pay for and that is in my opinion why Carnival is the cheapest line out there.

I sailed on Carnival Spirit to Hawaii in April, 2007 and thought it was a great ship. As far as layout, it has HAL's Vista class beat, IMO. There were aspects of the Oosterdam that I was disappointed in, mainly the cabin setup. HAL's food is a bit better than Carnival's, and HAL's crew can't be beat.

Don't really know what happened to the Spirit between the time that I sailed on it and when Cherrypop cruised (May 2009???). I didn't experience what she observed...maybe a group trashed the ship?

I think you'll be fine with whatever you choose.

Roz

I have never been on a HAL ship but will be in February. I opted for the Southern route of Noordam that goes to St. Lucia and Martinique etc because they are two of my favorite Islands if you know where to go.

I cruised the Carnival Spirit to those spots last February of this year. Acapulco left a little to the imagination. Not too impressive but those cruisers who shared a cab for the day at a set per person price had the most fun. Unfortunately we didn't do that. Ixtapa is a fun port depending on what you enjoy. I'd go back I think. I enjoyed that stop. Manzanillo is a whole 'nother story. Most people disliked it but it may be our favorite. We opted to go to the lesser known beach that the cruise crowd didn't find. We found out about it by asking one of the port workers where THEY would go. It was a little tarnished and a little like stepping back into a long ago past. Dirty plastic chairs and old wooden tables dotted the horizon or you could opt to sit in the same connected to bars etc. and be served ala an old Southern Wrter tradition in every novel you've read. It was a dump. Gloriously so. Canadians know the beach because that is all we ran into; Canadians staying for weeks or seasons in that area. People who love off the beaten track and taking pictures of your bare feet on an old wooden table will love this beach. Most cruisers will think they are in hell. You'll have to be more creative and ask more questions when you get to either cruise destinations to find the perfect-for-you hidden treasures.

You actually can't go wrong no matter which you pick but for us: The Southern Caribean itinery wins but that is just my opinion based on what I have seen.

btw the Carnival Spirit was a very nice ship. The food was ok but servings sizes seemed larger, less focus on presentation and less tasty than NCL's food. That was my only nit. I am hoping HAL's food is closer to NCL's on those 3 points.

I used to be a die hard Carnival customer (previously doing 8 cruises with them) but after our last cruise May 09 on The Spirit never again. The ship was in bad need of repair, torn seats, dirty furniture and it was the first time I had been on a cruise where the piano bar had no one in it due to the person playing he was horrible. We have now booked on the Oosterdam for January 09 and havent read a bad thing about it, looking forward to the change. Remember one thing you get what you pay for and that is in my opinion why Carnival is the cheapest line out there.

Actually, for the west coast sailings, the Carnival (at least on the Pride) prices and Oosterdam prices are about the same! This was true for our group in April 2007 and for the sailing this October, I just checked the pricing.

We have sailed the Spirit and 2 of HAL's Vista class ships. I would choose the Noordam. My reasons:

• Ports sound better
  • Love HAL's service
  • I think HAL's food is a little better
  • HAL's breakfast room service menu is tops
  • Carnival uses plastic coffee cups on the lido - no thanks
  • The upscale restaurant on the Spirit was very good, but the main dining room was hit and miss, along with the service we received.

I'm not sure you should compare the night life of the Volendam to the Noordam. The Vista class ships attract a broader demographic and seem to have a "later bedtime." :D

I am sure they have something equally dumb. How about the hairy chest contest?

Well one thing Carnival doesn't have are a bunch of Babbitty little snobs who have to make condescending remarks to make themselves feel better about themselves

I've sailed both. I'd choose a longer cruise just because I like to spend as much time on board as I can considering the hassles of getting to whatever port, but half the fun is trying to decide which cruise to take!

Well one thing Carnival doesn't have are a bunch of Babbitty little snobs who have to make condescending remarks to make themselves feel better about themselves

You cant say "a bunch of Babbitty little snobs who have to make condescending remarks" because most of the comments are fairly informative and a consensus can be drawn that itinerary counts a lot. Seems many have sailed on the Spirit and liked her but liked this or that as much or more for this or that reason. I know you didn't mean everyone and I hope you didn't really mean a bunch because there is some good information in this string by "most". ;)

Hi!

I don't think there is any comparison between these two ships.

We have sailed twice on the Noordam and just loved it. Not only is the food and service better, but if you are a reader, you will love the library. It offers more books and reading material that many small town libraries. And not only that, the Cova Cafe is in it as well.

Happy sailing,

Carol Ann

You cant say "a bunch of Babbitty little snobs who have to make condescending remarks" because most of the comments are fairly informative and a consensus can be drawn that itinerary counts a lot. Seems many have sailed on the Spirit and liked her but liked this or that as much or more for this or that reason. I know you didn't mean everyone and I hope you didn't really mean a bunch because there is some good information in this string by "most". ;)

Oh I certainly did not aim that at everyone here. I apologize if I gave that impression

I agree not every line is for every person and most everyone on this thread was very fair in their comparisons.

My remark was aimed at one individual, who on several occasions hasn't been able to get his point accross without a slam at others.

I sailed from Hawaii to Vancouver in May 2008 not 2009. Also this was my second time on the Spirit. Like I said it was well worn and in need of great repair. Pretty sad when even the crew agrees how bad the entertainment on board was, if I never see another comedian again that will be fine, we saw 5 on a l2 day cruise. I am so looking forward to sailing on the Oosterdam in January 09. Everyone has their own opinions about cruise lines and when it comes down to it, you have to be your own judge. I have done a total of 11 cruises, Princess and RCCL being the other lines and I would put Carnival since my last cruise at the bottom of my list, they used to be at the top but I think that as I get older (49) I expect a little more. If you do pick The Spirit make sure you go to the upscale restaurant they have a duo who sings there and they are fantastic one of the hidden treasures, we went twice just so we could see them again, you can also sit at the bar there for drinks if you dont want dinner.

Oh I certainly did not aim that at everyone here. I apologize if I gave that impression

I agree not every line is for every person and most everyone on this thread was very fair in their comparisons.

My remark was aimed at one individual, who on several occasions hasn't been able to get his point accross without a slam at others.

I kind of knew what you meant so glad to hear it verified. I know the feeling. I try and say something and it comes out a "smidge" different on how it can be taken. I agree with you on the comparisons being fair. I learn something new from these strings every time I read here. Anyway thanks for verifying that for me. Nothing for you to apologise for. I'm sometimes slow so I had to ask! ;)

I just returned from a 10 night on the Noordam last month, and if I could jump on her again for another 10 day cruise, I would certainly pick her over the Carnival Spirit.

The food, service and accommodations were excellent!

If you check prices daily until November, perhaps an affordable Verandah cabin will come up. ;) We had a VF (w/steel railing) and it was a great cabin and verandah!

Thank you so much for your helpful input!

I just finished booking the Noordam cruise. :D Many of the things you all said, suggested, and reminded me of, were just what I needed to think about to bring me back to my senses, lol.

I guess I had been mesmerized by the thought of that Panorama Deck extended balcony, :o and had lost sight of the bigger picture -- the many excellent choices and services offered by HAL:

I love the itinerary, I love the food, I love the room service, I love the beds, I know I'll love the new ship, I love the service from the staff, I love the Caribbean and having new islands to explore, I love the Caribbean sunsets, I love the clientele (well, for the most part, lol - every cruise seems to get one or two "clinkers" that rub you the wrong way), and let's not forget the clincher -- I love that I get two more days in my cruise!! :)

I've been pleasantly surprised by all your responses, so thanks to each and every one of you who volunteered information and helped me regain my senses! ;) Good ole Cruise Critic folks...

Whoo Hoo!! I guess I'll have to call and break the bad news to Carnival tomorrow, and then see about changing my countdown clock.

Life is good! :D

Archived