Help! Torn in Nov between HAL Noordam and Carnival Spirit...

seafun

Norcal2 mentioned:

People who love to get off the beaten track and taking pictures of your bare feet on an old wooden table will love this beach.

Gee, :) Who would take a picture like that?!?!?

(Chankanaab Park, Cozumel, struggling to get in the hammock, stay in the hammock, and take the perfect "feet" picture, in front of the beautiful sand and ocean --- took me ten minutes!! LOL)

HPIM0992.jpg.720d9a94d662e82ee9fbfa2e7dbcda77.jpg

M Steve,

You may find a rock climbing wall "stupid" (I don't), but they're great exercise and used by a variety of people from all walks of life. The place I go to has customers ranging from SAHMs to truck drivers to doctors and professors. Have you ever used a rock climbing wall? Why is a rock climbing wall on a par with a hairy chest contest? And by the way, I don't think there's anything wrong with a hairy chest contest. If you don't care for them or any other activity onboard, don't attend or participate.

The OP was asking some legitimate questions and wanted advice and information. Why did you feel the need to use it as an opportunity for a put down?

Roz

Norcal2 mentioned:

People who love to get off the beaten track and taking pictures of your bare feet on an old wooden table will love this beach.

Gee, :) Who would take a picture like that?!?!?

(Chankanaab Park, Cozumel, struggling to get in the hammock, stay in the hammock, and take the perfect "feet" picture, in front of the beautiful sand and ocean --- took me ten minutes!! LOL)

BEAUTIFUL! lol Cosumel? A Hammock? Sandals on? You have spoiled your feet. You need toes in your picture, although your picture is pretty close to perfect. ha ha

We set our digital camera to video to test it and when we got home and looked we saw the glorious feet on the table but the ocean waves lapped at the shore. I'm trying that again. Thanks for sharing that "treasure". We vacationing feet photographers gotta stick together - for the arts.

at my age but might if I was 10 years old. I just like the refined attitude on HAL vs. the slovenly behavior on Carnival by many of the passengers. I was not putting down anyone but the atmosphere on Carnival and the circus appearance of Royal Caribbean. Since I don't hang around malls I don't think I would like these new mega ships that look like a mall. If I could afford it I would be sailing on Silver Sea or Seabourn but my budget allows sailing on HAL several times a year and I like their style.

Well one thing Carnival doesn't have are a bunch of Babbitty little snobs who have to make condescending remarks to make themselves feel better about themselves

I have sailed with carnival several times, RCCL and several princess cruises and this year i will be sailing with HAL for the first time. I have had a ball on all of them. I have seen the hairey chest contest several times and I must say it was so funny and I never laughed so hard in my life. It was so much fun.Every cruiseline has something different or special to offer for all kinds of people. Everyone is not the same and no one should put down what someone else likes or dislikes.

Amen, Duck. What I see happening is too many cruise lines trying to be too many things to too many people. Just a few years ago there were clear cut differences between the lines. Now it's starting to get somewhat homogenized.

I sail both HAL and Carnival, for completely different reasons.

Roz

at my age but might if I was 10 years old. I just like the refined attitude on HAL vs. the slovenly behavior on Carnival by many of the passengers. I was not putting down anyone but the atmosphere on Carnival and the circus appearance of Royal Caribbean. Since I don't hang around malls I don't think I would like these new mega ships that look like a mall. If I could afford it I would be sailing on Silver Sea or Seabourn but my budget allows sailing on HAL several times a year and I like their style.

Just curious how many Carnival or RCI cruises have you been on??:confused:

Really? Many of the passengers? We just returned from Carnival Spirit and we didn't see any slovenly behavior by anyone. Everyone was well behaved and adhered to the dress code

We just booked the Spriit for an 8 day cruise in March. Never been on Carnival but have been on the other main lines..HAL, Princess, Celebrity, RCI, NCL, and Crystal. All were great cruises. Looking forward to giving Carnival a try. I am certain that it will be great. We are not 'married' to any particular line...rather to itinerary and value. Looking forward to the Spirit.

Another vote for the Noordam and Southern Caribbean! The Noordam is just fabulous-- we've done two Southern Caribbean cruises on her and if she were still sailing from NY-- we would be going again in January 2009. The ports are so beautiful and of course that beautiful Caribbean Sea..........!

I have never been on a HAL ship but will be in February. I opted for the Southern route of Noordam that goes to St. Lucia and Martinique etc because they are two of my favorite Islands if you know where to go.

I cruised the Carnival Spirit to those spots last February of this year. Acapulco left a little to the imagination. Not too impressive but those cruisers who shared a cab for the day at a set per person price had the most fun. Unfortunately we didn't do that. Ixtapa is a fun port depending on what you enjoy. I'd go back I think. I enjoyed that stop. Manzanillo is a whole 'nother story. Most people disliked it but it may be our favorite. We opted to go to the lesser known beach that the cruise crowd didn't find. We found out about it by asking one of the port workers where THEY would go. It was a little tarnished and a little like stepping back into a long ago past. Dirty plastic chairs and old wooden tables dotted the horizon or you could opt to sit in the same connected to bars etc. and be served ala an old Southern Wrter tradition in every novel you've read. It was a dump. Gloriously so. Canadians know the beach because that is all we ran into; Canadians staying for weeks or seasons in that area. People who love off the beaten track and taking pictures of your bare feet on an old wooden table will love this beach. Most cruisers will think they are in hell. You'll have to be more creative and ask more questions when you get to either cruise destinations to find the perfect-for-you hidden treasures.

You actually can't go wrong no matter which you pick but for us: The Southern Caribean itinery wins but that is just my opinion based on what I have seen.

btw the Carnival Spirit was a very nice ship. The food was ok but servings sizes seemed larger, less focus on presentation and less tasty than NCL's food. That was my only nit. I am hoping HAL's food is closer to NCL's on those 3 points.

I had to shake my head at this question......Once you have cruised on HAL you will never, ever compare the food to any other line. The service is excellent, the food not only has a wonderful presentation but it is 5 star quality. The portions are not overwhelming. The service is above and beyond anything you can imagine....As you can tell I love HAL. I love the service, the food, the elegance of the ships and the guests.

You will soon understand...

I had to shake my head at this question......Once you have cruised on HAL you will never, ever compare the food to any other line. The service is excellent, the food not only has a wonderful presentation but it is 5 star quality. The portions are not overwhelming. The service is above and beyond anything you can imagine....As you can tell I love HAL. I love the service, the food, the elegance of the ships and the guests.

You will soon understand...

Can't wait to find that out. I know it is true because I did a lot of research before booking HAL. Food and service seems to be a real highlight with past cruisers. That fact was important to me as a true foody. Don't get me excited! ;)

Sublime, you must have done Alaska on the Spirit, that being said you would have had a much older crowd than they would when they go to Mexico or as they did when I did Hawaii to Vancouver on the Spirit in May 08. Seeing people come into the dining room in sweatpants and shorts when it is told no shorts in dining room for dinner was a little disappointing. The food was just okay, I am looking forward to the food on HAL I have heard nothing but good things. Like I said before never again on Carnival, it was my 8th and last time with them.

Sublime, you must have done Alaska on the Spirit, that being said you would have had a much older crowd than they would when they go to Mexico or as they did when I did Hawaii to Vancouver on the Spirit in May 08. Seeing people come into the dining room in sweatpants and shorts when it is told no shorts in dining room for dinner was a little disappointing. The food was just okay, I am looking forward to the food on HAL I have heard nothing but good things. Like I said before never again on Carnival, it was my 8th and last time with them.

Yes, we did Alaska. This was our second cruise there. The first was on NCL. I didn't really notice a difference in the demographics of either cruise line-to Alaska. You're right though, it does look to be an older crowd. We thought the food was really good. We are contemplating booking our first ever cruise on HAL and I've received lots of good advice and tips here. I'm only hesitating because I'm worried we're too young for HAL (as another poster here was concerned with also). We're early 40's and our son will probably be joining us. Anyway, we'll be making our decision within a week or so. As much as I look forward to trying HAL, I would never say never to another Carnival cruise-or any cruise for that matter;)

Archived