Let's discuss the PHOTOGRAPH POLICIES

Nintendowan6

I was on the Carnival Liberty from 6/29/08-7/5/08. We had an absolute blast. As usual, there were tons of photographers who took our pictures. I did not have one problem with that. I even enjoyed waiting on line to get professional pictures done with the elegant backgrounds.

But, here's my problem:

Platinum pictures cost $22. Ok, maybe I can deal with that. However, why can't they give you a discount on the next picture you buy or if you want a copy? Because whatever pictures you don't buy, they just throw away. What a waste! They must have thrown away at least 30 pictures from us.

I understand the need to make money, but I thought that was a little ridiculous.

What do you all think about this?

Brendan

Oh and I would also like to add:

Carnival displays an example of what a picture would look like if you copy the one you bought. It shows the Carnival logo all over the picture. My Dad and I wanted two copies of the picture we bought together, but didn't want to risk copying one and having it come out bad, so we bought two.

Well, when we came home we tried it out anyway and...IT CAME OUT PERFECTLY!!

I guess we should have listened to the guy next to us who had overheard us and said, "HINT HINT it will be ok HINT HINT". haha

It really does make me sick how much paper and ink they waste each week. I wish they had digital displays to look up your pictures and order what you want. It would bring down the price of the pictures and encourage people (myself first of all!) to buy more.

I hate the waste, Carnival!!

- Jess

The waste of paper and ink really bother me also. We rarely buy any photos anymore but we might have if they would print a 4X6 or 5X7 at a reasonable price! Who needs all of those 8X10's or 6X9 (that you can't find a frame for anyway). Come on Carnival, go green and to digital.

I wrote a letter to Carnival last year to suggest that they tie a digital photo to your S&S so you can 1) find your pictures easier -- pull them up on your TV based on your portfolio number similar to your charges; 2) order only the prints you like; and 3) help the environment by not using so many chemicals to print all the pictures that will end up in the garbage.

We went to Disney this past March. They had implemented something very similar to what I suggested. They scanned a card prior to each picture taken, and you went on line when you got home and ordered what prints you want. They were still pricey, but less than on board the ship.

If only Carnival would take the suggestion. But I guess they would lose out on too much revenue from the $20+ 5x7s that they sell you!

We have copied our on-board photos without any watermark showing up also.

D.

I have had no trouble, either. I wasn't trying to defeat the system, just wanted to include the professional photos with our online slideshow of the cruise... scanned them and they were fine. Then had Shutterfly print them smaller so I could scrapbook them....no problems...

I'm surprised they don't discount for multiple pics too. Like when we went to Passion Island on our excursion. The island photographer there brought back our pics and said they are $10 each or all for $25 or $30 (4 pictures), can't remember the exact amount. But it was a good discount to buy them all.

The only time I was a little annoyed was during dinner when they interupt for a photo. Then I have to get up, go stand behind DH, take a pic then go back and sit down. Not too bad if it's between courses or before you eat. But never failed it was in the middle of the entree. Was a PIA on formal night in my gown LOL

I'm surprised they don't discount for multiple pics too. Like when we went to Passion Island on our excursion. The island photographer there brought back our pics and said they are $10 each or all for $25 or $30 (4 pictures), can't remember the exact amount. But it was a good discount to buy them all.

The only time I was a little annoyed was during dinner when they interupt for a photo. Then I have to get up, go stand behind DH, take a pic then go back and sit down. Not too bad if it's between courses or before you eat. But never failed it was in the middle of the entree. Was a PIA on formal night in my gown LOL

When we were on our last cruise to Hawaii they had a "deal" for I believe $180.00 and you could have all the pictures they took. I guess they do not do that any more.

I was on the Carnival Liberty from 6/29/08-7/5/08. We had an absolute blast. As usual, there were tons of photographers who took our pictures. I did not have one problem with that. I even enjoyed waiting on line to get professional pictures done with the elegant backgrounds.

But, here's my problem:

Platinum pictures cost $22. Ok, maybe I can deal with that. However, why can't they give you a discount on the next picture you buy or if you want a copy? Because whatever pictures you don't buy, they just throw away. What a waste! They must have thrown away at least 30 pictures from us.

I understand the need to make money, but I thought that was a little ridiculous.

What do you all think about this?

Brendan

I think it is a standard practice with many, if not most, professional photographers. If you want the pictures, you'll pay the price for them.

I don't buy any at all so it isn't an issue for me. However, if I did, I wouldn't be upset by the policy because I would have made an informed decision.

My wife gets mad at me for not wanting to buy more than one or two pics per cruise. She'll look at the S&S bill on the TV and ask," I suppose YOU keep fond memories of all the booze you consumed!" Yeah, they're pricey, but I have to admit, they do make a fine souvenir. :rolleyes:

Wish list:

Wouldn't it be COOL if you could pull just your pictures up on the TV in your cabin and order the ones you want. Then go pick them up when they are printed!!!

I have never had a problem scanning my pictures. I even sent them to my Kodak Gallery and ordered ten cent prints of them, and they came back fine. I think I have seen one person report that wedding photos came through with the logo all over them when scanned. EM

I get sucked in on the photos too.. I just get 'weirded out" about leaving my photos behind LOL

I disposed of alot but also spent a small fortune in the photo department

.....because at 44 I needed that photo of me and Funship Freddie having ice scream :p

I get sucked in on the photos too.. I just get 'weirded out" about leaving my photos behind LOL

I disposed of alot but also spent a small fortune in the photo department

.....because at 44 I needed that photo of me and Funship Freddie having ice scream :p

Too funny!! I did not know that Freddie liked icecream :eek: ;) !!

'Ya know.....I used to be weirded out too about leaving the pictures behind. On our first couple of cruises we bought alot - if not all - of the pictures. But I have gotten over it....as the prices have risen :rolleyes: . Seriously, I do not feel a responsibility anymore to buy all of them. Infact we have has cruises that we did not buy any.

Basically if we like one or two we will buy them....otherwise we leave them there and assume (yea I know) that they are disposed of properly.

I also agree with the others about the unnecessary waste. Is this day and age - seems to me digital is the way to go!

I think the system that Disney uses in their parks would be great for the cruise lines. Does anyone know if Disney uses something similar on their ship?

I think I read somewhere that the newest NCL ship under construction will some kind of photo system similar to what Disney uses. I will try to search for the article.

Too funny!! I did not know that Freddie liked icecream :eek: ;) !!

'Ya know.....I used to be weirded out too about leaving the pictures behind. On our first couple of cruises we bought alot - if not all - of the pictures. But I have gotten over it....as the prices have risen :rolleyes: . Seriously, I do not feel a responsibility anymore to buy all of them. Infact we have has cruises that we did not buy any.

Basically if we like one or two we will buy them....otherwise we leave them there and assume (yea I know) that they are disposed of properly.

I also agree with the others about the unnecessary waste. Is this day and age - seems to me digital is the way to go!

On our last cruise in May they small pails near each photo wall to dispose of your photos... :)

On our last cruise in May they small pails near each photo wall to dispose of your photos... :)

Yeah...I remember a locked wooden box with an opening on the top, near each station in which you were to deposit the photos that you did not want. I guess that they are then shredded or burned - but I do not really know what happens after we discard them :o :eek: !

I look forward to the opportunity to have a nice photo when we cruise and only purchased one in May. I did print a photo release this year and will do reprints. We did have several taken in case they didn't come out good, but were also fortunate to have a very nice CC fellow cruiser who took some very nice shots for us. Thank you Raven.

I also throw ours in the bucket, I don't like the idea of ours sitting around when I know I don't want them. DH has a co worker who cruised the week after we did and all of her photos were gone.. after speaking with the photographer, who assured her he put them out, it turned out an "admirer" had obviously taken or more likely purchased them since they had the stickers on the back. :eek:

Archived