Funny Wait Staff stories

Peregrina651

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but since it isn't on page one or two of the forum, it must be time to talk about it again. Here is my story.

In 2005, we cruised on the Zenith. We had a wonderful table and a very wonderful waiter. There was one guy at our table, Mario, who, starting the first night, asked for pistachio ice cream. It wasn't on the menu, but he asked anyway. It was the only thing he wanted. Our waiter Alexander (from Macedonia) explained to him that it wasn't on the menu that night and that it wasn't even available because it had been brought up from stores yet. Second night, he asked again. Same answer. Third night. Fourth night.

Fifth night, finally pistachio was listed on the menu. Mario was ready. He was finally going to get his pistachio ice cream. Dessert time came and Alexander took our orders and went off to fetch them. He came back to the table with a sad look on his face. "All out of pistachio," he said and Mario's face just fell. Alexander then started to pass out our desserts. Mario was last. Alexander proceeded to place 6 dishes of pistachio ice cream in front of Mario, whose face lit up like a birthday cake. We all started laughing. There was pistachio ice cream for Mario every night thereafter. Pistachio ice cream was the now running joke at our table.

Last summer we were cruising on the Century. We had just sat down to 'high tea' on the first day of the cruise and were still getting settled in when I heard a waiter's voice saying to us, "Do you remember me?" We looked up and replied, "Pistachio ice cream." It was Alexander.

Does it happen very often that staff recognizes you before you recognize them? What's your story.

Yes, it happened to us. We were on the Constellation this past March and were eating in the Aqua Spa cafe. While we were eating a waiter came up to us and asked the same question, "Do you remember me?" It was Kurt who had been our waiter 2 years before on the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise.We were also recognized by Eleanor who had served us in the Cova on that cruise. Now we will be on the Constellation again in a few days and I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Shelley

Yes, it happened to us. We were on the Constellation this past March and were eating in the Aqua Spa cafe. While we were eating a waiter came up to us and asked the same question, "Do you remember me?" It was Kurt who had been our waiter 2 years before on the British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise.We were also recognized by Eleanor who had served us in the Cova on that cruise. Now we will be on the Constellation again in a few days and I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Shelley

Shelley --

I hope that they are still on board and that you do get to see them. Even more, I hope they see you first because that, "Do you remember me?" really does make your day--in a good way.

We were on the Mercury fot the third time in 12 months. We learned our waiter, Larsen, from a year ago was on board. After our dinner we went off to find him to say hello. We spotted him and it took him just a second before his face lit up with recognition.

He pointed to the table we had and discribed the rest of the people at the table, including a honeymoon couple who only made it to the dinning once in 10 days.

He then he pointed to me and said with a big smile "you like cheese". He remembered that I had cheese for dessert every night. Amazing!

Several years ago we were on the old Crown Princess and had a waiter from Portugal named Cllimero. A couple of years after that we were on another Princess ship and lo and behold we had Climero for our waiter again. At first he didn't remember us, but I reminded him of a story he told us about an assistant waiter that he had back on Crown Princess. The story was that one of his guests ordered a salad and said that he wanted blue cheese dressing "on the side". The assistant waiter took the order and when he brought the salad, the blue cheese dressing was not in a little dish on the side, but on the salad, the blue cheese dressing was on one side of the salad and the other side was bare. We got a laugh out of that and when I reminded Climero, he then remembered us. ;)

When DH and I sailed on the Dawn Princess in 1998, we were assigned to the most fun table we have ever enjoyed. Table for 8, including Hans and Yost from Holland. We had a fabulous time every night and were usually the last to leave the dining room.

As usual, the asst. maitre' d (an Italian named Mario) would come by each night and inquire about our dinners. On the last night, the Dutch couple taught us a hand gesture (waving both hands by your ears), which they told us meant "delicious!" To show our appreciation, we all did this motion when Mario inquired about our dinner that evening. To our surpirse, the smile left his face, and he quickly excused himself from our table.

Hans and Yost were laughing hysterically, but would not tell us why. The rest of us knew that we had been duped!

A couple of years later, we ran into Mario on the Sea Princess. Of course he remembered us and told us that the hand gesture we had given him meant something very different than "delicious" in Italy. (He wouldn't elaborate, since we had our five-year-old daughter along that time!) He would chuckle about it every night when he visited our table.

We have had many great waiters and dining experiences since then, but nothing has been as funny since!

This is not a funny story, but just another little anecdote about the wonderful waiters on Celebrity ships.

One time we were eating lunch in the main restaurant and happened to recognize the name of a chocolate dessert on the menu (something like Mohr im Hand) that had been recommended on the cruise critic board, so we thought we would try it. The waiter was very apologetic, saying they had run out of it, but asked for our cabin number and said it would be prepared for us and delivered to our cabin that night.

We thanked him for his thoughtful offer but declined, explaining that it was not necessary; we had only wanted to taste it and really did not need the extra calories anyway. We figured we could try it another time and refused to give him our name or cabin number. It was open seating, and he was not our regular waiter and did not know us, so we expected that would be the end of it and never gave it another thought.

The following night, as we were finishing dinner, our waiter brought out a big tray with plates of that chocolate dessert for everyone at our table! It was not on the menu that night, so it was very apparent that somehow they had taken the trouble to track us down and prepare it especially for us.

Archived