What night is formal night on Sovereign?

I know this will start a flamewar, but I'm hoping cooler heads prevail.. Is it truly a formal night? I have no problem packing a suit or even my tux, and I do enjoy dressing up, but with an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity as my only frame of reference (where people actually did dress up, and the kids who didn't stuck WAY out) how dressed up do people truly get on a three night weekend cruise?

I'm NOT looking for opinion or judgment. I simply want experience from people who have recently been on the Sovereign. I know there's as many opinions on it as there are people who cruise, I'm just looking for the facts from someone who's been there. :o

In my experience it was close to full participation with those in the dining room.

There were jeans and even short in the dining room that night and while I do not agree with that, I do little more than notice and continue on.

I was in a black suit and my GF in a knee length strapless cocktail dress. We were definitely in the majority.

Even some young children were dressed up in suits and tuxes and such.

It makes sense too. Those that don't want to do formal night have SO many options on this cruise. From those on board to the fact you're still in port in Nassau until 11pm or so.

So I felt there was more formal than I expected on my cruise, end of May.

I never took a poll or anything but, I would say 50 percent are formal formal and the other 50 is split between suits and sport casual. Thats just my opinion. I personally wore dress pants, button up shirt w/collar, no tie( I hate ties) or jacket. No body seems to pay any attention to me. I dont think I spoil their evening in anyway and they sure dont spoil mine.

Just wear what you are comfortable with. Most people I have seen on formal nights were in suit and tie or dress pants with a dress shirt (most with ties). We only saw a few in jeans, etc. We like to have a formal picture of our family too so we try to dress up a little. It is fun to dress up a little as a family and enjoy the experience. We can dress down anywhere so this is a time to enjoy something a little different. Also, most women we saw were in dresses or nice pant suits, etc. Seemed like most women dressed up more than the men we saw. Just an observation. Please no flames. :)

Thanks much folks! I appreciate the input. I'll be packing a suit for Saturday night. Thanks again!

You will be MORE than fine in a suit. And there WILL be slobs in the main dining room on formal night. Apparently, there is no way to stop them. :rolleyes:

Archived