Tobago beaches

patience32

Mt Irvine Beach or Grafton Beach. If you buy drinks etc from Grafton Beach Hotel beach bar you can use their facilities. If you ship docks on a weekday these beaches will be quiet. Pigeon Point will also be quiet as you can walk around the point and get it as quiet as you want. If you are looking for a beach that is in walking distance of the pier, Not available.

Thanks for the reply are you saying that pigeon point is the best beach if we walk further down to avoid the crowds.....Also would there be independant boat owners that could take us over to nylon pond from the beach many thanks:)

By no means is Pigeon Point the best beach in Tobago. There are several beaches off the beaten path that are much nicer beaches however they dont have any faciliteis eg. beach bar, toilets, food etc. Pigeon point has everything available so is the best option. There is an entrace fee of $20 TT ($1 US = $6 TT). There will be tour boats there that take you out to Buccoo Reef and Nylon pool.

• 4 months later...
By no means is Pigeon Point the best beach in Tobago. There are several beaches off the beaten path that are much nicer beaches however they dont have any faciliteis eg. beach bar, toilets, food etc. Pigeon point has everything available so is the best option. There is an entrace fee of $20 TT ($1 US = $6 TT). There will be tour boats there that take you out to Buccoo Reef and Nylon pool.

Does anyone know how to get to Pigeon Point?

We don't want to get stuck with the ship's beach tour, it's only 3 hours long, and I can't find much info about taxis.

We've got our hearts set on Nylon Pool, so I want to make sure I don't mess this up by leaving it up in the air!

Thank yoU!

Does anyone know how to get to Pigeon Point?
Engage the nearest taxi man after you disembark

and tell him you want to go to Pigeon Point!!

Everyone on the island knows where it is.

Shouldn't taken more than 15-20 mins. to get there.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you have any idea how much the taxi will cost to Pigeon Point? Also will you be able to find a taxi back when you need one. is the $20TT just to get into Pigeon Point? How much for the tours once you get there? Thanks for the information.

Linda:)

And to add on to the above, what is the US$ rate on the beach e.g. how much is the entry as I guess it will be rounded up somewhat unless you have local currency?

Hi, we visited Pigeon Point a couple of weeks and it was great! It did get a bit crowded when the tour groups arrived but at least they don't stay too long.

Our taxi (for the 2 of us) took about 20mins and cost US$20 e/w (we didn't pay until the taxi driver came back to pick us up), entrance cost us US$3 each and the sunbeds US$2 each. Plenty of food/drinks/shelter and toilets & showers.

An enjoyable 6 hours were spent on thsi beach.

And to add on to the above, what is the US$ rate on the beach e.g. how much is the entry as I guess it will be rounded up somewhat unless you have local currency?

As the previous poster said $3.00 U.S to enter Pigeon Point.

$1.00 U.S = $6.30 TT. They usually round it off to $6.00

Many thanks for the info. Was the availability of taxis for the return trip good? I wondering because the ship's tour (OV2) is £34 (about $50 each) and that just includes transportation and entry. I believe the price is also scheduled to go up after the weekend because Carnival is revising its prices in line with new exchange rates i.e. no more £1 = $2. I note the point about not paying until the guy comes to collect you but as we are only there for 1230 to 1700, wasn't sure if we might be risking it a bit.

Hi, when we went back to get our taxi there were plenty of drivers milling around asking if we wanted a taxi so I don't think you would have any problem. In saying that, if you don't pay till you go back which seems the norm here, your driver will be there at the requested time to pick you up so I don't think you should have any worries.

It's the pity you aren't there for longer though.

i understand that tours of buccoo reef and the nylon pool are available at pidgeon point; has anyone taken one of the trips and how much do they cost? is it possible to book them in advance? thank you kathi

What is Bucco reef and nylon pool?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Mt Irvine Beach or Grafton Beach. If you buy drinks etc from Grafton Beach Hotel beach bar you can use their facilities. If you ship docks on a weekday these beaches will be quiet. Pigeon Point will also be quiet as you can walk around the point and get it as quiet as you want. If you are looking for a beach that is in walking distance of the pier, Not available.

My research indicates that Mt. Irvine is an excellent snorkeling beach. Would you agree? If so, what would be the availability and cost of taxis to and from the aforesaid. Additionally, could you estimate the size of the beach and whether the entry into the water is smooth or rocky.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
My research indicates that Mt. Irvine is an excellent snorkeling beach. Would you agree? If so, what would be the availability and cost of taxis to and from the aforesaid. Additionally, could you estimate the size of the beach and whether the entry into the water is smooth or rocky.

Thank you.

Decent snorkeling off to the the left side. There will be Taxis at the pier to take you anywhere. Dont know the cost but it's about a 20 min drive. Easy sandy access in and out of the water. Mt. Irvine hotel is across the main road from the beach so if no taxis on the beach just go to the hotel and get one. You could also make an arrangement with the taxi that dropped you to come back at an arranged time.

I understand that the snorkeling at Mt. Irvine is great. However, I have been unable to asertain the size of the beach, the nature of the entry into the water, whether it is smooth or rocky, and the availability of chair rental. Also, I would be most appreciative if anyone could advise as to the availibility and cost of taxis.

Archived