Piraeus to Istanbul

DCFamily

We did this exact cruise on the Diamond except in reverse order. Loved it. Hard to say which was our favorite. We did not do any ship excursions.

Hired a guide to Ephesus at Kusadasi. That is a don't miss kind of place and I would go back anytime.

In Rhodes, we wandered around the old town and went to the castle, ate lunch, then my oldest son and husband rented scooters and drove around while younger son and I shopped.

In Mykonos, we took the ferry to Delos--the shuttle from the ship took us right to the dock and you can buy your ticket there. Delos is a don't miss too.

In Santorini, we just wandered on our own and ate a great Greek lunch. Shopped in the afternoon. The ruins there were closed when we visited, but I think they are open now and well worth while.

In Naphlion, we rented a car and drove out in the countryside with no real plan--just stopped and explored where we wanted. Bought some pottery and had a great day. The town itself is really nice too.

We did 2 days pre cruise in Istanbul. Hired a guide who took us to all the big sights--Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, palace, etc.

We did just a half day in Athens--hired a taxi driver (prior to the trip) over the internet who met us and took us around then to the airport. I felt it was good value and better than taking our chances at the port.

Archived