Walk from Circular Quay to Wharf 8?

Just wondering if any of you Sydneysiders can tell me if it's feasible to walk from Circular Quay to Wharf 8. We'll be spending a couple of hours with my brother in Manly, then catching the ferry back. We won't have all our luggage as that will be dropped off at wharf 8 early in the morning. It's a bit difficult to tell from maps how direct or hilly the route is, or whether it will be a horrible walk along busy main roads.

We prefer to walk wherever possible, but will get a taxi if it's going to be too difficult.

Croydon Cruiser

I did the walk a couple of weeks ago to see PD docked at wharf 8. It is a bit tricky but it can be done.

Basically, walk from CQ ferry terminal towards the art museum and continue down the main road to argyle st, follow it down to kent street and head left. Take a right down Margaret Street (just passed agar steps).

This will spit you out onto sussex street, head left and walk up the road 5 - 10minutes and you are there it is a very nice walk - can be a bit of a walk, 30minutes or so. I did a map on the pc before i went and printed it off, if you want the copy of it pm me and i will send it across.

Just wondering if any of you Sydneysiders can tell me if it's feasible to walk from Circular Quay to Wharf 8. We'll be spending a couple of hours with my brother in Manly, then catching the ferry back. We won't have all our luggage as that will be dropped off at wharf 8 early in the morning. It's a bit difficult to tell from maps how direct or hilly the route is, or whether it will be a horrible walk along busy main roads.

We prefer to walk wherever possible, but will get a taxi if it's going to be too difficult.

Jo, I am gonna take a guess and say 20 minutes, I have done it many times. A group of us CCers walked from Darling Harbour to Circ Quay in February, on a really hot day:eek: ...we needed that beer when we got there:p You would be walking down hill going from Circ Quay to Wharf 8, so as long as you dont have much luggage, you will be fine:)

If you walk up George st from the Quay, then down Margaret st, (near the Menzies Hotel) it will bring you out at Wharf 8 and you will miss all the hills and lanes of the Rocks.

Chez

xx

Hi Jo,

You could also get another ferry from Circular Quay to Darling Harbour (at the Aquarium), leaving a short walk to Wharf 8. The return journey on the Manly Ferry is $12.80 per adult. A day tripper ticket costs $16, and will cover the Manly trip plus the one to Wharf 8, and you get to ferry past your waiting ship as well. (the Manly Jetcat is a dearer option, and not covered on the day tripper)

PS - after reading your post again, you won't be catching the ferry to Manly. If just returning by ferry, forget the day tripper ($6.40 for the Manly ferry + $5.20 for the Darling Harbour one)

Chez,

If that was 20mins, it was the longest 20 of my life. I think it took that long to get up the High St steps! :eek:

Chez,

If that was 20mins, it was the longest 20 of my life. I think it took that long to get up the High St steps! :eek:

Haha, I meant the walk from Circ Quay to Wharf 8, Geri and I walked from the Menzies to the Quay heaps when we stayed there on the PD Maiden Voyage, 3 times in one day:eek: :eek: .....I was younger then;)

Chez

xx

Thanks heaps for all the replies! It sounds as though it's an easy 20-30 min walk. We really enjoy walking through new areas, so that we can have a look around. I know it will only be a tiny snippet of Sydney, but it's better than nothing. Jenny and Geoff, we did consider getting another ferry, but as we will have got one across from Manly we would rather walk this time. No, we'll only be going one way on the ferry. My brother's picking us up from wharf 8 after we drop off our luggage.

Itachi, printing off a map is a good idea. I'll see what I can find, and if I have problems I'll get back to you. Thanks for the offer.

Chez, are you sure you haven't been leading Geoff astray? :eek::)

Only 16 days to go!

wow croydon cruiser 16 days.....how good is that! have a wonderful time. Your cruise is the same as mine (which is in december) so I'll be eagerly awaiting your review.

OK....Now, i am a sydney gal but have no idea where wharf 8 is. I see from reading through here that is in Darling Harbour....but where abouts is it......close to the maritime museum? or round the other end near the aquarium and wildlife world.

We are hoping to go and see Dawn in the next few weeks and show the kids.....my 2 year old saw a dinghy in a book and said "oh wow....me boat holiday" so he has absolutely no concept of a ship

OK....Now, i am a sydney gal but have no idea where wharf 8 is. I see from reading through here that is in Darling Harbour....but where abouts is it......close to the maritime museum? or round the other end near the aquarium and wildlife world.

Hi,

Wharf 8 is around the other end near the aquarium and wildlife world, but much closer to the Harbour Bridge. The Darling Harbour ferry stop is on the Harbour Bridge side of the Pyrmont bridge, but Wharf 8 is much closer to the Harbour Bridge than the ferry stop. (Hope that makes sense!):):)

You could also catch a train from Wynyard station which is only 2 blocks up from the ferry terminal directly to Circular quay. An off peak (after 9am) return adult fare is only 3.60. I have a map of sydney with this information on it that I could scan for you but being new to cc i'm not sure how to get the information onto the site. You could also go on the whereis site to obtain a map of the area. Hope this helps.Enjoy your cruise.

Good question and one i was about to ask, where exactly is wharf 8?

We will be getting a taxi from the airport so i assuming the driver will know where to go!! when we get off the taxi is there a long walk to the wharf or is it relatively close by?

Thanks Marg

Thanks rose, thats great to know it's very close to wynyard station...there are 12 of us and we will be catching the train in. Age range from Just 3 to 68.5 so good to know that there isn't too far to walk.

I know I'm asking a lot of question with the cruise being so far away but being on school holidays I'm trying to do my homework for the cruise now.

We will be getting a taxi from the airport so i assuming the driver will know where to go!! when we get off the taxi is there a long walk to the wharf or is it relatively close by?

Thanks Marg

Marg, the taxi will drop you right at the door to the terminal, there is a drop off area.

Just tell the taxi driver Wharf 8, if he doesnt get that:rolleyes: say "Big ship, near Darling harbour" haha!! I have had many probs in Sydney when I know where I am going and they don't!!!

Chez

xx

Heres a map I took from wotif, hope it works ok, you can use the arrows to move up and down. The pinpoint is the Wynyard hotel which is right near the station,

http://www.wotif.com/hotel/View?hotel=W49452&page=1&viewType=all

Ok map didnt work but if you click on the show map icon it will come up. Wharf 8 is at the end of Lime st at the cross of the Western Distributer and Sussex st.

Chez

xx

Marg, the taxi will drop you right at the door to the terminal, there is a drop off area.

Just tell the taxi driver Wharf 8, if he doesnt get that:rolleyes: say "Big ship, near Darling harbour" haha!! I have had many probs in Sydney when I know where I am going and they don't!!!

Chez

xx

Sounds just like the problems people have with taxi drivers here in Melbourne!

"Take me to the Flinders St Station." "Huh..?"

"Take me to Federation Square." "Huh..?"

Take me to the MCG." "Huh..?"

Hopeless!!:eek:

Half the time you have to direct them!

Rose, thanks for the tip about the train. If it's raining that might be the way to go, although there are 4 of us, so a taxi might work out cheaper anyway.

Thanks Marg

Hi Marg,

It was mentioned to me by Don (dogboy) that even if you didn't book the P&O transfer on the day of the cruise from airport to cruise terminal you can ask them at the airport if you could get on the P&O bus, you see them with a P&O sign around the luggage pick up area. They do charge, but it is not a lot.

I was told the best part is that once you board and your luggage is on the bus that is all you need to worry about. They take the luggage and you don't see it till you are in your cabin.

Sounds really great. We have ours booked already through P&O, but for others it may be more efficient than a taxi.

Glenda

That sounds great so are they there for every flight that comes in? we were not offered that with our travel agent wish they had mentioned it. Wonder if i could book it through them now?

Hi Marg,

Sorry can't answer that question, someone else is sure to know though.

Also how much does that cost in comparison to a taxi?

I think I've seen about $10-12 per person posted on here. Not sure what a taxi would cost.

What flight are you on? There are a few of us on the 7.00am Qantas flight from Melb. If you are at Syd airport at around the same time, perhaps you could just sort of tag along. They might not notice a couple of extras :D

Hi Margrey & Gratz (in particular),

Taxis from Sydney airport to Wharf 8 can cost from $40 - $60 depending on traffic. I strongly recommend taking the shuttle service operated by Kingsford Smith Transport. It costs $12 -$13 if you pay the driver and is $22 return if you book on the internet. We booked for 6 people and it cost $60 one way. I see that Gratz has a group of 12. KST will probably have a mini bus specially for you if you pre-book. You just need to quote your flight number and time. The driver (dressed in navy blue with compay logo) stands near the baggage carousel in the airport. He will direct you to the bus. They run every 20 minutes and go directly to the luggage drop-off section for the ship. No carrying luggage. We have used this service a few times and have found it to be excellent as well as economical.:):):)

Archived