Oceania Air Deviation Question (more)

TERRIER1

This is our second Oceania cruise. For our first cruise we booked our own air. For this cruise, we might go with the air deviation since the air fares seem to be very high for next May 2009. I have a few questions that perhaps someone can answer since I am a little confused how the deviation actually works.

When the deviation is requested, do we provide one airline option and schedule or can we provide several?

If we request a direct flight and the deviation upcharge is too much can we go back and request another flight?

Can we request one airline out and another airline return?

If we request no upcharge does Oceania come back with one option or several?

We would like a direct flight but I am fearful the deviation will cost too much.

Thanks for any input.:)

Good questions. We also would like a deviation next May. When cruising Oceania before, we flew in the day of the cruise. This time we start in Athens and would like a day or two to browse and recuperate from the flight before we board. So we have questions on how this works also.

We're cruising out of Miami on 12/21/08 on the Regatta and I'm having more concerns than I've had on most cruises.

Since I learned that Oceania doesn't "do" any precruise, etc in Miami, and I have kids living in Ft Lauderdale & WPB, we can just "visit" them.

I found a great flight from Boston to WPB on Jetblue, BUT,the TA checked and Oceania doesn't "DO" Jet Blue. She told me that we can get a $200 flight credit (each) and $205 in air taxes, etc. (each). This adds to $810 and the flight is $458 (or it was yesterday). A limo, including tip and taxes will cost $286 round trip.

After all this math, it looks like we would be at least even, depending on the cost of flights today, and it looks like we'd best book today.

Another question I have is the insurance. I haven't used Access America and that's what the TA is suggesting. Any ideas??

We've spent so much time working on this cruise...wish it were tomorrow!

Another question I have is the insurance. I haven't used Access America and that's what the TA is suggesting. Any ideas??

The head of our travel agency also recommended Access America, and after hearing her story, we chose to use it also. We did not have to use it, so I can't comment on how it "worked". However, her husband suffered a massive stroke while traveling, and was not expected to live. Access America transported him to Florida, where he spent 3 months recovering, then further transported him home to California (I believe I have those details correct, Jan). He is cruising again.

In answer to your questions about flight deviations, I believe you can either submit flights to Oceania, or let them suggest flights for you. At the suggestion of my travel agent, I first let Oceania see what they could come up with. I had previously researched the flights (from Miami to Barcelona, and from Rio to Miami), and had a good idea of what would be the "perfect" combination (there was no direct flight from Miami to Barcelona, and all flights out of Rio de Janeiro hubbed through Sao Paulo). However, those flights cost more than the allowance from Oceania if I booked them myself.

I expected some weird combination of second rate flights wseveral stops. What they came up with was my "perfect" combination of flights -- Air France from Miami to Paris, and Paris to Barcelona, and American Airlines from Rio to Sao Paulo, then on to Miami. The best part was that they somehow managed to negotiate those flights at no additional cost to me, even though I already knew the flights were more expensive!

The bottom line is that as Shari suggested, work with a travel agent who is willing to go the extra mile, ask Oceania to research the flights and see what they come up with. If you don't like what they offer, that's not the end of the trail -- you can ask them for other alternatives, or research the flights yourself, and see how much extra they might charge for your choices. You can keep working through your agent for as long as your agent has patience. My personal agent, an associate of the agency owner who suggested Access America to me, has infinite patience and seems to exist just for my personal use. As a former employee of Oceania who lives in Fort Lauderdale and maintains his friendships with Oceania employees, he is in a unique position to understand the workings of the cruise line. And, the owner of the agency has a personal relationship with the Chairman and CEO of Oceania. Perhaps that is what makes the difference...

If anyone has not yet figured out what I am talking about and would like to question me directly, click on my user name to bring up my profile, then click on my homepage, then click on contacts -- heck, you can figure it out. Lots of people have already emailed me directly.

We would like a direct flight but I am fearful the deviation will cost too much.

Thanks for any input.:)

The term "DIRECT" in the airline industry has a different meaning that you want, it could involve a change of planes.

You probably are looking for a NON-STOP flight.

Talk with your TA it can be complicated.

I agree with Don, research the flights that work for you so you will know if what O recommends works for you . You have 48 hrs to accept their flights or submit ones you choose for them to see if they can get them with or without an upcharge.

Don.... I think Stu was already in Miami at the time of his stroke but Jan or Shari can correct me.

He looks great now ...you would never have known what he went through

To start with, you cannot pre-book flights with Oceania until about half a year or so before sailing. If your sailing date is May, 2009, you are too early. Second, airfares are often very high if you search for it too early, wait till you are about four months before sailing date, then start searching for airfare (you make your final payment three months before sailing).

Find the flights you want, even if they involve different airlines (though preferably within a given group). Oceania uses Star Alliance a lot, but can go with the others. Submit your chosen itinerary to Oceania, ANY flights, and they will quickly (usually within the same day if it is not too close to closing time) reply by e-mail, and tell you the upcharge of your choice (on top of the 2x$75 deviation fee). If you find the upcharge too high, find another set of flights and resubmit, and Oceania will give you another quote. Keep trying, even several times will be alright, the folks at Oceania's airflight department are quite nice. Go through this process yourself, it is interesting, you learn new knowledge, and you have direct control.

To start with, you cannot pre-book flights with Oceania until about half a year or so before sailing. If your sailing date is May, 2009, you are too early. .

You can request the deviation 270 days out if they have their contracts in place

we've received mixed messages from our ta about this. one says wait until 75 days out and another says start thinking about this in jan. our first oceania cruise is nov. 09 so know that the schedules aren't even out at this point and with everything going on in the travel industry who knows what flights will be cut, that's anyone's guess. i always find cc so helpful and i appreciate reading the opinions of others especially people who have cruised oceania. we're looking forward to it and we will be asking for a deviation as this is our first time in barcelona.

jeralyn ;)

we've received mixed messages from our ta about this. one says wait until 75 days out and another says start thinking about this in jan. our first oceania cruise is nov. 09 so know that the schedules aren't even out at this point and with everything going on in the travel industry who knows what flights will be cut, that's anyone's guess. i always find cc so helpful and i appreciate reading the opinions of others especially people who have cruised oceania. we're looking forward to it and we will be asking for a deviation as this is our first time in barcelona.

jeralyn ;)

75 days out is when the air itineraries are done for passengers not requesting an air deviation.

Shari

CCC Member

By the way, a cursory comparison shows that we save about 2x$400 (even with flight differential) buying our tickets with Oceania versus taking the 2x$500 air credit and purchasing the same open-jawed tickets ourselves. The fact that we are from the West coast makes it more worthwhile for us going to Europe than those from the East coast. Presumably the reverse is true for going to Asia. (Whichever coast you live, you get the same air credit for a given voyage.)

• 3 years later...

I am considering asking for air deviation. I understand that the fee is payable even if I don't take the deviation. What is the minimum I can tell Oceania so they will get me reasonable fares and travel times? I don't need a specific airline carrier. But I don't want an overnight layover or trips that take twice as long as the shortest! I also don't want airport changes.

Not sure of the terminology - would saying "total journey time including connection flights should not be longer than xxx hours" work?

Thanks!

The fee is only payable if you accept their offer.

his is a very old thread.

Tell Oceania or your travel agent what the deviation is and O will give you an offer. You can decline.

Their routing is generally pretty good.

I am considering asking for air deviation. I understand that the fee is payable even if I don't take the deviation. What is the minimum I can tell Oceania so they will get me reasonable fares and travel times? I don't need a specific airline carrier. But I don't want an overnight layover or trips that take twice as long as the shortest! I also don't want airport changes.

Not sure of the terminology - would saying "total journey time including connection flights should not be longer than xxx hours" work?

Thanks!

First of all, you don't pay the deviation fee until you agree with the flights so no risk until you accept the flights. Not sure which cruise you are looking for air on but, both of those showing on your signature require overnight flights. With the time difference to Europe, don't think there are any flights to Europe not being overnight. As to Rio, because of the distance and also the time change, these flights are overnight as well. Don't think your idea of journey time is the best way to go.

Suggest you go to itatravel.com and put in your flight details and you will get a multitude of possible flights. Pick the flights you prefer giving at least three choices is priority order and send them to your TA. HOpefully one of them will be accepted by Oceania and will be without additional cost. If you don't like those, pick the next 3 and sent them in. Continue until you get an acceptable flight or take whatever Oceania will provide.

Remember, no risk and you only pay the deviation fee if you accept the flights.

I am considering asking for air deviation. I understand that the fee is payable even if I don't take the deviation.

There is no charge for asking. You are only charged the deviation fee (which is an administration fee) if you accept the flights they offer.

What is the minimum I can tell Oceania so they will get me reasonable fares and travel times? I don't need a specific airline carrier. But I don't want an overnight layover or trips that take twice as long as the shortest! I also don't want airport changes.

Thanks!

I usualy just ask for a deviation to leave on this day and return on that day and see what they offer. There are so many factors it becomes not much more than guessing what will happen. Where you are flying from and to and when and how far before leaving (the more time the more options), etc.

They may come back with a certain routing and that it will cost $0 more for the airfare or that it will cost $more. That is a separate charge from the deviation fee (currently $125 pp).

You have 48 hours to accept the offer or it is automatically cancelled - no charge. If you don't like the offer tell them why and ask for another - too much money, too long layover, want to leave earlier/later in the day.

Or you can research what flights you want and ask them if they can get your those. If you are really hooked on certain flights then that is the best way. if not give them a freer hand. It costs you nothing to ask.

Note though I believe the policy is, I don't know if it is used in reality, if you request certain flights and they can get them at no additonal charge for the airfare they book them without coming back to you for approval and charge your CC the $125 pp - why waste the time and the possibilty of losing out when they can get you what you ask for.

If you are using a TA the offers will go through them to you.

Sorry see I posted late and others have said it all. Spent time on O's site trying to find exact details but only references saying to look on this page but not to be found

OP didn't say they did not want an over night flight. . . . they said they do not want an overnight layover. Very reasonable I think.

My TA looked for the best routing, asked for my approval and negotiated with Oceania for me. That is part of the service you are paying for in my opinion. My TA found a trip into Barcelona and out of Rome with only one stop and very reasonable layovers. They are the pros and we found Oceania to be very accommodating. No extra cost other than the deviation fee.

Have you guys noticed that the original question goes back to July 2008????

I would imagine that they have already figured out the answer to the question ....

Have you guys noticed that the original question goes back to July 2008????

I would imagine that they have already figured out the answer to the question ....

Yes but, the person we are responding to reopened the thread today so is a current request on an old thread.

Thanks!

Just ask for the dates they will come back with flights as others have stated you can decline them if not suitable for you

I usually look up the routing so I have an idea of the carriers & times etc...

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

You can ask for the ones you want ..there may or may not be an upcharge on top of the deviation fee

If you have a TA just work with them on getting what you want

There are no direct flights from Toronto to Rio. We flew back from Rio this past February with our friends who live in the Toronto area and the best they could give us was. Rio to Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo to Toronto and yes it was an overnight flight. The original flight our friends were offered from Rio was Rio to Miami, the Miami to Toronto which meant they had to clear customs and immigration twice. The flight to Sao Paulo meant that they only had to clear customs and immigration once when they arrived in Toronto.

All very useful, thank you! In my research, I had found a flight "connection" where we would have 13 hours sitting overnight at LAX! I did find much better connections though. Good point about clearing US customs and immigration twice. Thank you to you experienced cruisers!

We are flying down to Rio Feb 2013 3 days before our cruise on Regatta.We requested an air deveation from O but was told that it would be 270 days out. Which would be middle of June.

The fare is $1350.00 plus $125.00 to have us go direct from JFK non Stop to Rio and back on March 8th from BA.

I booked direct with AA the fair was $1450.00 PP so we canceled the air deviation and took the $1350. 00 pp credit from O

Archived