question for the board re cabins on the Navigator

With almost all the cabins the same size, it makes little sense to me to spend the extra money on a " penthouse " level suite. I did notice however, cabin 601 was much larger than the ordinary suites yet classified as a " D " level suite. Now I long ago gave up looking for, or expecting, a free lunch or something for nothing, so what is the downside to cabin #601?

Second question- in ordinary suites, less than penthouse level, do you still get your two bottles of your choice of spirits, or has that perk disappeared?

Suite 601 is an incredible cabin, for sure. Separate sleeping area, wonderful balcony. Friends of ours have stayed in it several times, and they love it. The downside is, the anchor is "right there". When it is raised or lowered, you definitely know it's happening.

I don't know the answer to your second question, though.

Yes you can ask for a bottle for your cabin when you meet your stateroom attendant.

There is a lot of activity at the front of the ship docking. I have stayed in 603 and the noise is usually at 6am when docking or tendering. Lots of clanging from the anchor chain and crew too.

The other downside is you are at the bow of the ship so there is more movement - and there is sound to it as well as the waves crash against the ship at the bow when you are sailing.

All that said, we'd stay in that cabin -603- again....depending on the itinerary.

We were just on Navigator in the Black Sea. Wonderful cruise and wonderful ship. The in-suite liquor policy has changed since last November when we did a crossing on the Voyager. Last November we asked for two premium bottles of liquor for our cabin. They were promptly and cheerfully provided. This time, we were presented a list of liquor available for in-suite use. A lot of the premium stuff was not listed. Johnny Walker red was on the list, but not black. I mentioned this to our stewardess. She said "Oh, you can order Johnny Walker black but if you do you can have only one bottle." We did just that. This was a port intensive trip and we did most of our drinking in the bars by choice. But if it had been a crossing with lots of sea days, we would have had to get by with less than premium brands in order to have two bottles in our cabin. It appears Regent is trimming this perk a bit. Maybe too many people ordering bottles to take home. We would never do that. It is my impression if you are in a premium suite the one bottle limitation does not apply. Pat

Depending on your sailing, the forward cabins are more sensitive to rough seas. I love the Navigator but prefer to not sail that far forward again (I was in 702 on a January sailing out of FLL to the Caribbean). We had some really high seas - yes, I'm told that can happen in the Bahamas - it was so rough that a lot of people were sick, and we were unable to tender at Grand Turk (Crystal and another ship skipped the port that day). I've not been prone to seasickness but it was really rough up there in the front on that sailing for the first three days.

So lesson learned for me... I'm midships next Feb for the Riviera Maya just in case.

Another downside we found out is that 601 is almost always booked way in advance so it's nearly impossible to get..

Pat, We have always been told we could order one premium but not two, bottles of liquor. I'm talking about staying in a regular suite, not penthouse. So I don't think it's a recent thing. I'm talking about two-three years ago. Jean

Another downside we found out is that 601 is almost always booked way in advance so it's nearly impossible to get..

Pat, We have always been told we could order one premium but not two, bottles of liquor. I'm talking about staying in a regular suite, not penthouse. So I don't think it's a recent thing. I'm talking about two-three years ago. Jean

This is a real "muddy" issue. Prior to all inclusive, you would receive a liquor menu shortly after you get to your suite. You could get two "regular" bottles of alcohol or one premium. It seems to have changed in the last year and a half. You can still receive the same amount of alcohol -- however, you need to request it. It appears to be a cost saving measure since open bottles have to be destroyed after the cruise.

We were not able to have a "round of single drinks" via room service last year. However, I have heard of passengers that have been served single drinks. It appears that Regent is still a bit unclear as to their policy.

I guess we have been unusually lucky. On all of our Regent trips until last month's trip on Navigator we have ask for and received two premium bottles of liquor in our cabin. This issue is not a big deal for us at all. I only posted because this person asked. If the Regent ships are seeing lots of unopened bottles of premium liquor going home in suitcases and lots more sitting there only half empty at the end of a segment, it is understandable that they would be tightening things up a bit. Pat

Since cabin # 603 is claimed at least through march, and Regent is offering double category upgrades on early January cruises, I just told my TA to put me upstairs where DW can have shrimp each afternoon and otherwise get spoiled.

Thanks for all the replies, I still intend to get # 603, but maybe next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Old Grump

601 is my favorite cabin, even with the downside of early morning clanking when coming into port and the bouncy ride during storms. But there is no reason to tolerate that in 603. If I couldn't get 601, I'd choose a room as close to the elevators as possible. It's a looooong walk down that hall after a night of "socializing"!

JoAnne

Houston

Archived