Ever have this happen?

itstimeforacruise

We just got back from hte cb last thursday. Great trip all in all. We had a problem on our second day a crew member cam to our state room and asked us to step back into the room. No problem. He looked into our bath room and stated that they needed to retile our bath room. What? we are at sea and they want to tile our bath room. Didnt make me the least bit happy. He said we had to be out of our room at 9 the next morning which was puerto rico. We didnt get off the ship there because it was to late to do what we had booked. So they gave us a key to another cabin and said to use that for the day. Basicly we didnt have access to our room. Has this happened to any one else?

We just got back from hte cb last thursday. Great trip all in all. We had a problem on our second day a crew member cam to our state room and asked us to step back into the room. No problem. He looked into our bath room and stated that they needed to retile our bath room. What? we are at sea and they want to tile our bath room. Didnt make me the least bit happy. He said we had to be out of our room at 9 the next morning which was puerto rico. We didnt get off the ship there because it was to late to do what we had booked. So they gave us a key to another cabin and said to use that for the day. Basicly we didnt have access to our room. Has this happened to any one else?

What cruise line was it,and this is very rare because they usually do this when they return to home port,were the tiles that bad?? They came to my stateroom once saying they needed to fix the cover on the headboard and glue it, I said no way because the smell of the glue would make me and DW sick, they were kinda pushy so I called the Hotel manager and all was taken care of,he stated they would take care of it when they returned to home port and if it didnt bother me;) Next time call the Hotel manager and let them know you do not want to be inconveinced and I bet you wont be; Did you check your valuables??)

That is a little odd. I understand that these ships are occupied all but 6 hours a week, but they could have at least tried to arrange a convient time for you or supplied you with passes to the spa or another shore excursion to keep you occupied. I am not the pushy type, so probably would have ended up in the same situation, but it would not make me happy. I am sorry that this happened to you. Hopefully, this did not spoil your entire vacation.

Yes, on one of our trips they needed to repair the air conditioner. It was a port day so we were gone all day. No problem. With people in all cabins all the time, when do you think that needed repairs take place.

Last year on the Carnival Spirit, DH and I occupied a suite with a spa tub. One morning after breakfast (1st sea day), we came back to find our door ajar and 3 men in the bathroom (yes, it was that big!). They indicated that the spa tub wasn't working, and hopefully, it would only take a couple of hours. Well.........it took four hours and our room was pretty much closed off. It wasn't a big inconvenience since there were lots of activities going on that day. We understood completely that these things happen and better to have a small inconvenience then so that we could enjoy the next 10 days:D

Yes, on one of our trips they needed to repair the air conditioner. It was a port day so we were gone all day. No problem. With people in all cabins all the time, when do you think that needed repairs take place.

Not unless theres a complaint from you about your Cabin, Only repairs are made on the Ship,unless the Cabin steward said something then he should of asked you when would it be conveinent for you,probaly thought it was a safety problem and didnt want anyone slipping and suing!!:rolleyes: Still the OP should of been dealt with better!;) IMOHO!! And yes when it's a deterrent to me Im Pushy if not treated with common courtesy! No disrespect to you webegone or woodmnky!!;) :) And yes it would have been nice of them to give you maybe some onboard credit too!!

On one of our trips on the Sea Princess they came by and asked us if we would be on an excursion the next day in port and since we were, they said they would like to replace the carpet in our room. We asked if there was glue being used since I'm allergic to the odor, they indicated no so we agreed. They were not pushy by any means. We felt that we had a choice. When we came back that afternoon it was all done and everything was in order.

What cruise line was it,and this is very rare because they usually do this when they return to home port,were the tiles that bad?? They came to my stateroom once saying they needed to fix the cover on the headboard and glue it, I said no way because the smell of the glue would make me and DW sick, they were kinda pushy so I called the Hotel manager and all was taken care of,he stated they would take care of it when they returned to home port and if it didnt bother me;) Next time call the Hotel manager and let them know you do not want to be inconveinced and I bet you wont be; Did you check your valuables??)

Princess Cruises. The op stated the CB (Carribean Princess). :)

Many years ago DW and I were sailing on the NCL Norway. There was a problem with the bathroom tiles in our stateroom which they had to repair. As it was our first day on the ship they upgraded us from an ocean view to a Suite. Turned out to be the best cruise that I have had.

They didn't totally blow them off, they did do something - they gave them a key to another room to use for the day. I also don't understand why them doing repair work in their cabin prevented the OP from taking his shore excursion. He had to be out BY 9 - doesn't mean he couldn't have left earlier and made his shore excursion. That would have negated him needing to use a day cabin as well.

3 years ago we where on the NCL crown from Miami to Santiago from the 1st day at sea they started repiping the sprinker system and fire sensors. They had hallways blocked off and where in and out of staterooms on the entire trip. They where in our cabin 3-4 times and left a mess each time. A complaint to hotel manager and to the company when got home where never answered.

Al :D

I have had them replace carpet when we were on a cruise. It didn't take them long and wasn't an inconvenience for us.

Princess routinely updates it's ships and unfortunately, things have to be done routinely. They can't always wait until dry dock. And remember, the Caribbean Princess dry dock was supposed to be in April and May and they canceled it.

It is almost a Catch 22 - some people will complain that the tile needs to be replaced in their cabin. Others, don't like maintenance done in their cabin the week they are on the ship.

When we sailed on the Caribbean Princess, every time I walked in the bathroom barefoot, tiles popped out of the floor and stuck to the bottom of my feet.:eek: The mini-suites all have those small mosaic tiles. They look good, but they don't wear well. Every day, we would put the loose tiles on the bathroom counter and they would be glued back into the floor when we returned later. I finally started keeping a towel on the floor at all times to keep tiles from sticking and popping out. So, I can see why occasional retiling would be necessary. At least, they gave you keys to another room. It's not ideal, but sometimes it's necessary.

While on the Emerald a couple months back, we received a notice

the night before that they would be varnishing our balconies the next

day at such and such a time. Because it was a port day, we were off

doing other things, and they varnished it, and all went well. There wasn't

even that awful varnish odor that I've smelled in the past on cruise ships.

This is why Princess's ships look so good!

We just got back from the CB last Thursday. Great trip all in all. We had a problem on our second day a crew member cam to our state room and asked us to step back into the room. No problem. He looked into our bath room and stated that they needed to re-tile our bath room. What? we are at sea and they want to tile our bath room. Didn't make me the least bit happy. He said we had to be out of our room at 9 the next morning which was Puerto Rico. We didn't get off the ship there because it was to late to do what we had booked. So they gave us a key to another cabin and said to use that for the day. Basically we didn't have access to our room. Has this happened to any one else?

We sailed the CB June 13-22, Mini-suite E731. We had the same thing happen to us. An engineering officer came to our cabin and politely asked to look at our bathroom. He said he was checking on the "missing tiles". This was half way through the cruise. A bath mat had been placed on the floor from the beginning and we did not notice the missing tiles.

We were scheduled for San Juan the next day and they wanted to start the work first thing in the am (7:00 am). We told the ships officer that we would vacate the cabin by 10:00 am and they could start work then. The tile work would take 7 hours start to finish. Our shore excursion started at 10:30 am and we would be back on board by 3:00 pm. We were given a room "key" to another mini-suite four doors down the hall to use to shower upon our return and to use until the tile was done. The crew showed up at 9:57 am and finished the tile upon our return at 3:30 pm. We were told we could use our bathroom after 5:30 pm.

This all worked out great. The extra room we were given worked out just fine. The new tile looked great and we were really not bothered at all. I have to give Princess high marks for keeping up with the ware and tear on the ship. With the exception of dry dock, when else can this be done? I have seen so many posts on these boards about "missing tiles". Seems Princess is listening.

One more observation, you could have refused. They would have done the work next week and inconvenienced another group of passengers.;)

On one of our trips on the Sea Princess they came by and asked us if we would be on an excursion the next day in port and since we were, they said they would like to replace the carpet in our room. We asked if there was glue being used since I'm allergic to the odor, they indicated no so we agreed. They were not pushy by any means. We felt that we had a choice. When we came back that afternoon it was all done and everything was in order.

That was our experience, too. Our cabin steward told us that work was going to be done on our cabin, and asked if we would be inconvenienced. Since we were going to be ashore all day it wasn't a problem, and we returned to new carpets, new balcony rails, etc. None of our personal items were disturbed in any way.

9:00am was a very curious time to attempt the repair. I also was on the CB that came back a week ago Thursday (July 10). And, because of the slower speed, we didn't get to Puerto Rico until 4pm. You would have thought that they would wait until the next day at St. Thomas when we were in port from 7am until 10pm and most folks would be off the ship. Very curious!

While on the Emerald a couple months back, we received a notice

the night before that they would be varnishing our balconies the next

day at such and such a time. Because it was a port day, we were off

doing other things, and they varnished it, and all went well. There wasn't

even that awful varnish odor that I've smelled in the past on cruise ships.

This is why Princess's ships look so good!

The same thing happened to us on one of our cruises, they varnished and changed dividers. Things have to get done. Did you enjoy the rest of the trip? I would not sweat the small stuff. You were not at home and you were not a work. Need I say more?:)

They didn't totally blow them off, they did do something - they gave them a key to another room to use for the day. I also don't understand why them doing repair work in their cabin prevented the OP from taking his shore excursion. He had to be out BY 9 - doesn't mean he couldn't have left earlier and made his shore excursion. That would have negated him needing to use a day cabin as well.

While it is true they gave another room for the day, it was in the back of the ship down a floor. We got to puerto rico late, thats why we didnt get off.

On my first cruise, on the old Westerdam, they found a couple of loose tiles in the shower. They asked us if we would mind being switched to another cabin. We didn't mind, and in fact got an upgrade. Then, at dinner, we were sent a complimentary bottle of wine. The loose tiles wouldn't have bothered me, but I liked what I got in their place!

On my first cruise, on the old Westerdam, they found a couple of loose tiles in the shower. They asked us if we would mind being switched to another cabin. We didn't mind, and in fact got an upgrade. Then, at dinner, we were sent a complimentary bottle of wine. The loose tiles wouldn't have bothered me, but I liked what I got in their place!

Thats just it though, there were no lose tiles, and we didnt call the pursers office to request the repairs, they just came to the room and said they were going to redo the tiles. Really though we had a great trip despite this problem.

9:00am was a very curious time to attempt the repair. I also was on the CB that came back a week ago Thursday (July 10). And, because of the slower speed, we didn't get to Puerto Rico until 4pm. You would have thought that they would wait until the next day at St. Thomas when we were in port from 7am until 10pm and most folks would be off the ship. Very curious!

Thats what I thought too. In ST Thomas we were off the ship by 8. So the repair wouldnt have bothered us at all. But the officer insisted that they make the repair in PR. Any ways Trip was still great even with the time lost in the room.

Archived