Final Payment

Skeezics

New to Regent.

Just received an email from my travel agent that final payment was due on 8/3/08 (120 days out) for a cruise we are taking on 12/02/08. My records state 9/3/08 (90 days out). Upon questioning her and doing some research on line I find that the final payment is indeed due by 90 days out; however, there starts a 10% cancellation fee at 124 days out and escalates as you get closer to sailing date regardless of payment date. My question is why pay 120 days out? Is there something I am not "getting/missing"? We have no intention of canceling and I keep funds in an account that has a high rate of interest until end of August; so like to pay as late as possible. Any comments/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Barb

I see no reason to, unless there was some "lock in" in effect regarding fuel supplements or something like that (sometimes they will announce a new supplement and say that it doesn't apply to cruises paid in full before a certain date, for example.) But this is rare.

I'm wondering why your TA wanted you to. Did she make a mistake?

New to Regent.

Just received an email from my travel agent that final payment was due on 8/3/08 (120 days out) for a cruise we are taking on 12/02/08. My records state 9/3/08 (90 days out). Upon questioning her and doing some research on line I find that the final payment is indeed due by 90 days out; however, there starts a 10% cancellation fee at 124 days out and escalates as you get closer to sailing date regardless of payment date. My question is why pay 120 days out? Is there something I am not "getting/missing"? We have no intention of canceling and I keep funds in an account that has a high rate of interest until end of August; so like to pay as late as possible. Any comments/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Barb

If Regents policy is 90 days out, its your TA's policy that is in question. (Regardless of cancellation penalties). Either your TA works with many that may use a personal check to make final payment, or wants to secure a commission by making it less attractive to cancel at the last minute.

Host Dan

New to Regent.

You definitely do not need to pay your final until 90 days prior. Some agencies try to get the money sooner but you said you're not concerned with canceling so keep your money earning interest until the 90 day final payment date.

Don't blame the agent in the least..... and further agree with the request of the final amount due outside of the increased penalties.

Regent's policy, as stated in their brochures, states there is a $200 ($100 per passenger) administration fee upon cancellation from the date of deposit up to 121 days from departure. From 120 to 91 days, the administrative fee increases to $400 ($200 per passenger).

Today, most agents protect any potential personal liability. Under the above circumstances, the passenger might attempt to argue the additional $200 leaving the agent to foot the bill.

Don't blame him/her at all in today's world. The bill agrees with Regent's published policy.

Don't blame the agent in the least..... and further agree with the request of the final amount due outside of the increased penalties.

Regent's policy, as stated in their brochures, states there is a $200 ($100 per passenger) administration fee upon cancellation from the date of deposit up to 121 days from departure. From 120 to 91 days, the administrative fee increases to $400 ($200 per passenger).

Today, most agents protect any potential personal liability. Under the above circumstances, the passenger might attempt to argue the additional $200 leaving the agent to foot the bill.

Don't blame him/her at all in today's world. The bill agrees with Regent's published policy.

The agent would never be in danger of footing the extra $200. The whole $400 fee would be deducted from the initial deposit, and the balance returned to the customer.

Host Dan

The agent would never be in danger of footing the extra $200. The whole $400 fee would be deducted from the initial deposit, and the balance returned to the customer.

Host Dan

You are absolutely correct Dan, and just how unpleasant do you suspect a client can make life??

You are absolutely correct Dan, and just how unpleasant do you suspect a client can make life??

I guess there is something that I am missing.... The client makes final payment 120 days before the cruise, decides to cancel 2 weeks later and gets his full fare back minus the $400 fee. The same client doesn't pay full fare at 120 days, decides to cancel and gets the deposit back minus the $400 fee. Seems like an unhappy client in either situation. Maybe the TA should make Regents cancellation policies VERY clear when booking, maybe even in writing. As for the client making the TA's life unpleasant... Maybe its time to fire the client? I've done that on occasion in my business.

Host Dan

I guess there is something that I am missing.... The client makes final payment 120 days before the cruise, decides to cancel 2 weeks later and gets his full fare back minus the $400 fee. The same client doesn't pay full fare at 120 days, decides to cancel and gets the deposit back minus the $400 fee. Seems like an unhappy client in either situation. Maybe the TA should make Regents cancellation policies VERY clear when booking, maybe even in writing. As for the client making the TA's life unpleasant... Maybe its time to fire the client? I've done that on occasion in my business.

Host Dan

Dan, it was not my intention to create an "issue" out of this topic. But believed another side should be taken into considereation before suggesting the agent only wanted the money early.

If the passenger cancels prior to 121 days, they are refunded with a total of $200 withheld. If they cancel within 120 days up to 91 days, the withheld amount increases from $200 to $400.

For similar reasons, I require written or emailed declinations of trip insurance. I guess it's just a case of best business practices and every cancellation policy should be made very clear.

Thanks to everyone's input. I do appreciate your responses. Since I have no intention of canceling my reservation, I will wait to remit my final payment until the end of August. I have travel insurance that would cover an emergency after that date (and before). . . .and yes, my deposit would cover any cancellation penalty between the 124 and 90 day period. I also see where a travel agent would like the payment at bit further out; however, I have booked six cruises through this agent and have never canceled (Well, except for one, over a year out, but was really a trade, I immediately booked this one because it came all the way back from New Zealand instead of stopping in Hawaii (Celebrity). Barb

And by the way, she or he is YOUR agent, not the cruise line's. Ask why you were asked to make the payment a month early, and depending on the answer, and the candor (or lack thereof) with which it is given, decide whether you need a new agent. A few are absolutely marvelously wonderful, most are good to just ok, but some are bad to awful, some maliciously so and some just ill- or un-informed. If you have any of the latter, get a new one!

New to Regent.

Can I assume that you will be on the Mariner, starting in New Zealand?? We have just made our hotel reservations for the Stamford Plaza for the 3 days before the cruise. We will be staying on until Ft.Lauderdale..by the way we are never asked to pay before the 90 days.

Just one other thought. Does your agent also book Crystal? For payments 120 days out, passengers get some perks (3.5% discount; ability to book specialty restaurants ahead of time as well as spa and salon appointments; and ability to book Creative Learning and Computer classes). Shore excursions may be booked by anyone as soon as they are listed. Maybe your agent was just confused.

Judith, are you talking Crystal about the perks for 120 days payment? My agent is not pushing anything, she wanted me to be aware of what she called Regent's "goofy" payment/cancellation plan. Have fantastic on board credits, plus a payment after taking the cruise, through American Express Platinum. Very happy with my agent.

Chelonia, Yes, we are on the Dec. 2, Mariner out of Auckland. Are going 5 days early, staying one night in Auckland . Then next day pick up a car and drive up the coast for 4 nights at two separate lodges. Back to Auckland Dec. 1. We live in Southern California; so we are home when the Mariner docks in LA.

Having booked this cruise in May of 2007, it is finally within our reach! Barb

Judith; My understanding with Crystal is that you have to make final payment 180 days out in order to get the additional 3.5% discount. That's the case with us for the 9 Mar '09 cruise aboard Symphony( final payment 10 Sep in order to get the additional discount ). With Regent you enter the penalty phase 120 days out, but the final payment is not due until 90 days out. There is absolutely no advantage to making the final payment 120 days out, as Dan said. Better tell you TA to get with the program!

My TA is more than great! I was just thinking that possibly the OP TA was confusing the two lines in regard to payments. For Crystal, perks and discount are 180 days out (or anytime payment is made for penthouse payments) while the penalties start at 90 days (or 75 days, I can't remember). It seems that Regent's are just the opposite. That is why I thought the OP TA might have been confused. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Crystal's penalty starts at 75 days out. Everything is refundable up to that point except for any additional charge for customized air, even if the final payment is made 180 days out. We've never had a problem with the Regent payment policy in 13 cruises. We'll see how it goes with Crystal, since this will be our first cruise with them. Our first Silversea cruise is in Nov and they seem to have the same policy as Regent ( 9Nov cruise with final payment 8 Aug and the penalty period started at 120 days out ). The reason we've switched away from Regent is their smoking policy change. Hated to do that, because we really enjoyed the line. If niether of the other two lines are satisfactory to us we'll just stop cruising.

The reason we've switched away from Regent is their smoking policy change. Hated to do that, because we really enjoyed the line. If niether of the other two lines are satisfactory to us we'll just stop cruising.

We're looking at Regent for the very reason that you are switching away....the smoking policy changes are very much to our liking, although not quite as strict as we would prefer.

We haven't booked with Regent yet only because of the $200 cancellation policy. We want to be very sure we book the right cruise the first time, unless Regent would permit us to make a change to another cruise of theirs (within a few months) without keeping our deposit entirely.

Gillainrose,

Which lines have you mostly sailed? I too do not wish to be around cigarette smoke but I wondered if the Crystal and/or Silversea are not too bothersome with that issue.

Basedow

The administrative fee will be converted to a future cruise if booked within six months of cancellation according to Regent's published cancellation policy. I experienced this recently.

Due to a family member's ill health, we made the difficult decision to postpone (not cancel) and reschedule our Discovery Collection reservation to next year. I'm sure Regent loves having a significant amount on deposit to use at their discretion for a year. We will be on the Voyager's 70 night trip beginning 9 October 2009. And, adding insult to injury, rescheduling does not protect against an increased fuel supplement assessment.

Archived