Do these Rome & Paris stations have steps/stairs/escalators?

I posted the below enquiry, but made the title a bit too vague, so thought I would try posting it again. Hope it okay to do this.:o

Termini Rome & Paris Bercy Station Platforms

We are a family of 3 with quite a bit of luggage and will be taking many trips, but in particular two main trips, on trains in Italy in September. The first one is from Venice S.Lucia to Rome Termini, and the second is the overnight train from Rome Termini to Paris Bercy. If anyone is familiar with these stations I would really appreciate your help with the following questions:

Are there any steps, stairs or escalators to negotiate:

1. At Venice S. Lucia when boarding the train for Rome?

2. In Rome when getting off the train from Venice S Lucia?

3. In Rome when boarding the overnight train for Paris Bercy?

4. In Paris when getting off the train from Rome?

We are not sure what levels the platforms are on, and wondered if these two trains departed and arrived from ground level, or underground. Any help you are able to provide would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Can't answer your questions directly, but I know Gard du Nord and Gare d'Austerlitz in Paris are all on one level. We used the Metro from Nord - Austerlitz and that was a pain. One flight down at Nord and 4 flights down at Austerlitz with 3 biggish bags! Had a good sweat on that day! Try going to http://www.seat61.com/index.html . I don't think you will find the actual answer, but in the red stripe at the top, click on 'E mail' and send your question to Mark. He is very good and helped me out with a few problems.

Simon

no stairs, give a porter or freelancer once inside the station 7-10 euros and they will put you on the correct train, in the correct car, and hump all your luggage in your car for you.

Thanks so much for all your help.

GSPLover - have you been to Paris Bercy station at all? It is quite a small out of the way station, I believe, but the only one the overnight trains go to. Given that it's small my guess would be that it is all on one level, but it would be nice to know in advance.

Corkpopr - we are a wee bit apprehensive about asking help from a porter etc., as we have heard that thieves pose as porters and make off with your luggage! Perhaps we are worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks again.

Some years ago, we left Paris on the overnight train for Florence, departing from Paris Bercy (I'm 99% sure that was the station!). As I recall, we walked from our hotel, which on the map seemed kind of near but wasn't... I was okay because my bag was on wheels, but another in our group was really huffing and puffing because he had to lug his. I vaguely remember a slight hill up to the station, and an escalator, but don't recall any point where we were obliged to climb stairs, with no other option.

• 3 weeks later...

If you go to the far right of the Venice station as you face it there is a ramp.

All of the trains have about 3 steep steps to go up to go on. If you can get help getting your luggage on get it. better to have more smallish bags than one huge one.

Also there can be very little luggage storage. and make sure you secure your bags to the luggage rack with a lock (buy at rei.a lock on a chaing like a bicycle lock.)

Once you get on the trains are nice.:)

Archived