swimwear for women

Wouldn't you be MUCH better off going into a store where you can try things on? I know I would never try and buy a suit on line. Too much of a crap shoot. Swimsuits are everywhere - every department store - it's too easy to just go try them on and get what looks best. Dillards always has a lot to choose from, but my favorite store is called Just Add Water. You don't sail for 5 1/2 months - plenty of time to take advantage of the end of season sales going on right about now.

Wouldn't you be MUCH better off going into a store where you can try things on?

Unfortunately, not all of us live in areas where there are big malls or stores nearby. We used to drive in to Orlando for my major shopping, but that's almost a tank of gas now, so I prefer to take the crap shoot and shop online.

Lands End has great swimsuits. They hold up REALLY well (almost too well as they never wear out which means it's tough to convince DH that I need a new one! :( ). Lands End has a virtual model that you can create with your own measurements, so you can see what the suits look like on your body type. Last time I bought from them the sizing seemed a little small, but just check the measurements.

Talbots also has nice swimsuits. If you're fit and active, try TitleNine.com or Athena.com . One of my friends buys all of her suits from Venus.com . They have a ton of styles.

Good luck with your search!

I know it's a horror--those florescent lights in dept. stores, but actually trying on suits can make all the difference! Unless you are purchasing a different color of something you KNOW fits, online bathing suit shopping can entail many returns!!!

A few years ago, I'd gotten a tanktini from Land's End and really liked it, but wanted to buy a new one for our upcoming Tahiti trip. That was back in May and I'm still trying to get shorts that fit. I was very careful to follow all their guidelines and do the measurements and the first pair was big enough for me and a family of four to wear concurrently.

It's been an two-month mailing back and forth kinda event. The postage has been paid by them, but it's been a hassle to have keep messing with it, especially when they ran out of the color I wanted.

If you have the time and don't mind having to work at getting a good fit, then your option on-line are pretty good. Next time, though, I'm going to a store.

I'm very happy with the skirted tankini (separates) I ordered from LLBean. In fact, after I got the 1st, I ordered 2 more matching pieces so I could mix & match.

I was a little leery of ordering, but it worked out well. I do have to say, though, that I think the size ran a bit small, but that could just be because the fabric is quite sturdy. While the top size I got fits fine, I could have gotten a size larger and it still would have fit, perhaps a touch more comfy. The cut is such (halter with adjustable straps) that it could be a little more roomy without falling out or anything - not that I have anything to fall out!:o

Junonia and Land's End have great slimming 2-pc. and 1-pc. options (sizes 14+) I have had good luck order from both of these catalogs/on line at various sizes. Junonia also has a clothing line that does not need to be ironed.

I tried about a dozen suits from online sellers at the end of last season and sent most of them back, I think I found one tankini top that fit. Most retailers require the buyer to pay return shipping, that gets expensive, so make sure you are aware of the return policy. I do follow the fitting guidelines, have tried the virtual models, etc., but still have a really hard time with swimsuits. If you can find a place to shop locally, at least you can get an idea of what size suit and what style suits you.

I've found that the best time to buy swim suits is February and March, at least where I live by July they have all gone on clearance and there is not much of a selection.

Another vote for the Bean! :D I love LL Bean. I buy a lot of stuff from them these days. They're great for shoes, too!

I also have a Lands End one piece suit, but I don't like it as much as my tankini from Bean. My big issue is that the straps are not adjustable on it. I had a hard time finding a Lands End suit with adjustable straps.

That said, I do have a Lands End Inlet (outlet store) nearby, so I was limited to what they had in stock. I went through like seven suits at the Inlet until I found the one I got... while I just ordered based on the chart from Bean, and it was perfect out of the package.

Next time I need a new suit (which will be a while!), it'll be Bean.

With Lands End you have the option of making a "virtual" model. Type in your measurements then you can dress your "model" in the clothing ( and swimsuits) to see how they fit!

And I did that. I quite carefully measured (heck, I build costumes for a theater company, so I knew my measurements were right) and I still got a bottom four sizes too big. The top was fine and I should have mentioned that earlier. And I didn't have any problems the first time around with my first suit's fit - it was just this time. I wasn't saying that LL Bean didn't make a good product, just that I had trouble with the fit this time.

The moral is: You can get a good suit over the Internet, but make sure you allow yourself some time for exchanges.

Junonia and Land's End have great slimming 2-pc. and 1-pc. options (sizes 14+) I have had good luck order from both of these catalogs/on line at various sizes. Junonia also has a clothing line that does not need to be ironed.

I can second the Junonia recommendation...their quality is impeccable, although I find it pricier than Land's End and LLBean...Junonia is especially good for the plus sizes

This is for any travellers who are looking for a bathing suit in the middel of winter--LL Bean had a travel catalog that always carries bathing suits. However, I think a size 20 is the largest they carry. I would think that any of the travel wear catalogs would have some. Also, for now, check into Cabela's. They carry all kinds of outdoor wear.

Archived