Would a Princess cruiser like HAL?

Hi,

I tried to search on the Princess forum about HAL get a message the search function is down, and I found nothing on the 8 pages of the forum. I looked through about 20 pages on the HAL forum and found nothing, and the search function gives me a database error. So I'm sorry if this has been asked to death.

Anyhow, my wife and I are mid 40's, no kids and have been on 3 cruises, all on Princess, with a 4th booked. I am considering a Christmas cruise on HAL, partly because of cost and partly to try something new. We are pretty easy to please overall. We are not party folks. We like to get up in the morning, go to the buffet for breakfast, hang out by the pool during the day, watch the MUTS (which is nice to have), go to anytime dining around 6pm, and watch shows, shop, etc till 10-11pm, hit the buffet for a late night snack and do it all again the next day.

We have only cruised on the Princess Grand class ships, and are considering the Veendam out of Tampa.

I've read some on HAL's web site, and it looks like they have the anytime dining option (As you wish?). Do they have an entertainment feature like MUTS at the pool area? Do they have a late night buffet available?

Can anyone compare their experiences between Princess and HAL for me?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I think you should give HAL a try. I think you will enjoy it.

There is no MUTS on HAL but they do offer movies at night with free popcorn. The biggest difference we noticed was that we thought the service on HAL was much better. We had to get a minisuite on Princess which was comparable to a verandah cabin on HAL. Food is subjective - both lines have their pros & cons. Specialty dining on both lines was excellent. We tend to like the smaller, Vista class ships. We found the Grand Princess to be a little too big for our taste and got frustrated that the ship wasn't easily accessable from one floor to the other.

If you do give HAL a try - please report back on what you liked and didn't like.

You should go for it. That's my humble:p advice.

The Veendam is one of my favorite HAL ships. I remember how beautiful she was with the added holiday decorations when I sailed in 2005. The Veendam crew is gracious and skillful.

Yes, there are late night snacks and buffets. You can enjoy the night air on the Lido deck, but the movies are shown inside where you can

sit on a comfy theater seat.

Enjoy!

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies so far. This is sounding more tempting. One other thing. On Princess, we have stayed in an inside cabin on the Lido Deck, because that is where the buffet/pool is. As I tried to say in my original post, that is where we spend all of our time during the day. Very easy access to those areas and back to your room. What would be the recommendation of something comparable on HAL? On the Veendam's deck plans, it looks like there are no guest rooms on the pool deck, so would you go one deck down?

Thanks again!

Mike

We've done both, but after sailing on HAL, that's our preference. No MUTS but as others have said, films are shown inside. That's nicer, IMO.

We enjoyed MUTS at night, but I thought it was overkill to have films playing while everyone was splashing around in the pool during the day. Too loud for my taste.

We are elite members of Princess but have not sailed them in years. We have sailed on the Grand Princess a couple of times including her inaugural cruise. She is not that big of a ships compared to what I have read about RCI!! We didn't have any problem getting around on her. The Vista class ships also have a problem getting to the dining room -- you can only get to the dining room - no matter whether it is the upper or lower level on the starboard side if you have chosen to have a pre-dinner cocktail in one of the lounges.

Hi,

I tried to search on the Princess forum about HAL get a message the search function is down, and I found nothing on the 8 pages of the forum. I looked through about 20 pages on the HAL forum and found nothing, and the search function gives me a database error. So I'm sorry if this has been asked to death.

Anyhow, my wife and I are mid 40's, no kids and have been on 3 cruises, all on Princess, with a 4th booked. I am considering a Christmas cruise on HAL, partly because of cost and partly to try something new. We are pretty easy to please overall. We are not party folks. We like to get up in the morning, go to the buffet for breakfast, hang out by the pool during the day, watch the MUTS (which is nice to have), go to anytime dining around 6pm, and watch shows, shop, etc till 10-11pm, hit the buffet for a late night snack and do it all again the next day.

We have only cruised on the Princess Grand class ships, and are considering the Veendam out of Tampa.

I've read some on HAL's web site, and it looks like they have the anytime dining option (As you wish?). Do they have an entertainment feature like MUTS at the pool area? Do they have a late night buffet available?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I can't compare the cruise lines, but offer a few points for consideration.

The sense I get is that you have cruised some "larger" ships. The Veendam is a "smaller" ship in comparison. I prefer the smaller ships because I have a sense of intimacy and I don't have to deal with "choke" points such as waiting in line as long for various activities including the buffets. However, the smaller ships do not have the same "energy" as the larger ones, even those that I've cruised. I'm on a cruise to chill and relax, and the cruises I've had with HAL allow that without question.

In my experience, there are a number of late night varied food opportunities offered in the Lido through the cruise. There's also the 24/7 room service available. Feeling stuffed has never been a problem.

I've had "open" seating (AYWD) and been able to work it to my satisfaction. There are many other reports on this board of similar experiences.

Though I haven't done an "official" holiday cruise, I have sailed just before the holiday. HAL does a nice job of decorating the ship, in my experience. I have another such cruise scheduled in early Dec. and I'm counting on the decorations being up or going up during the cruise.

Since you're new to HAL, there are some other hot spots that you might want to be aware of: Appropriate clothing in the DR, especially on formal nights, alcohol policy, smoking policy, appropriate clothing during the day in public areas, tipping. There are likely some I've overlooked, but the point here is that these things all go together to create a cruise experience, and lines differ in how these things are applied.

There's a rumor going around that HAL services the geriatric crowd - not my experience, although you will likely run into many many pax that have sailed HAL before, offering their wisdom, sometimes interesting tales, and sometimes braggadicio.

From looking into what I think the cruise is, it looks like you'll see some interesting ports. IF you decide to go, I hope you'll enjoy.

We've cruised with Princess 4x: Coral B2B north/south Vancouver-Whittier-Vancouver; Sapphire R/T Seattle; and long ago, Island Princess, one of the old "love boats" (now retired) for an unusual 11 day Alaska itinerary which included port days at Homer and Kodiak Island and ended docking at Anchorage (which big ships cannot do). HAL: Ryndam 14-day Sea of Cortez & repo back to Vancouver; Amsterdam 5-day Pacific coastal; and the old Noordam (now retired) 12-day Mediterranean.

I like both lines a lot, and would happily choose either depending on itinerary. HAL gets the nod for comfortable beds (unless Princess has upgraded since our last time with them). Both have great crews, both are good choices, especially for Alaska if you want to add a land tour.

Have sailed on both and...

The main differences that strike me on HAL vs Princess are entertainment and # of passengers.

Most HAL ships have a better passenger/space ratio than Princess - and it is more possible to get away from the crowds on HAL in my experience.

Also, in the evening on Princess ships you'll find a lot more entertainment choices than on HAL - I mean shows and music after dinner. Where on a HAL ship you may have 2 things happening at the same time at night, on a Princess ship there would be 4.

I enjoyed my experiences on both lines, but my husband feels there is no "wow" factor with Princess, so we'll probably go on another Princess cruise only if the itinerary is really special.

You'll also find more of a nautical feel on HAL ships than on Princess ones.

Whatever your decision, I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Mike

We have cruised on HAL's Westerdam and will be on HAL's Maasdam in August. We have cruised on many Princess ships and they have all been on the Grand Class ships. The main difference we noticed between the 2 lines is the difference in the level of activity. There is much more to do on Princess (many more entertainment options) than HAL. The age of the HAL's passengers is older with more of a mix of ages on Princess. Princess keeps their pools and hot tubs open late and HAL's pools close earlier. After 10pm on the Westerdam, we noticed there was very little activity on the ship. We also prefer the food and the 24 hour buffet on Princess over what is offered on HAL. We booked HAL's Maasdam to Canada/New England because it fit into our schedule and it was the itinerary we wanted. We're hoping the food on the Maasdam is better than what we had on the Westerdam. We're not as concerned with the evening entertainment because we are in a different port almost every day. Whatever you decide...hope you have a great cruise!

We've sailed both Princess and HAL. Princess wins the entertainment category. HAL wins just about everything else from their wonderful beds to the space per passenger ratio to the food in the Lido. No contest between Princess Cay and Half Moon Cay. I won't get off the ship to go to Princess Cay, but I'm the first one on the tender for HMC.

We've sailed both Princess and HAL. Princess wins the entertainment category. HAL wins just about everything else from their wonderful beds to the space per passenger ratio to the food in the Lido. No contest between Princess Cay and Half Moon Cay. I won't get off the ship to go to Princess Cay, but I'm the first one on the tender for HMC.

We discovered HAL after 24 cruises on other lines, including many on Princess. We would sail either in a heartbeat and have now narrowed our cruising preference to these.

My opinion: HAL's overall service/staff is better, food is a toss up, HAL's standard cabins are more spacious but the Princess mini suites are great, Princess wins for entertainment options and overall activity levels as well as a younger crowd. Interestingly enough, we actually prefer Princess Cay over Half Moon Cay because Half Moon Cay seems too much like just another island port and phony/plastic/planned/whatever. There seem to be more remote getaway areas on Princess Cay. We will actually stay on the ship on the Half Moon Cay day.

You can't go wrong.....

Judy

HAL is not a bad bet, if the price is right.

I find the service a little better on Princess, and I also like the little 'add ons', that Princess gives to repeat cruisers.

My big beef with HAL is the matter of insurance. If you use HAL's insurance, it is payable when your down payment is made, NOT so with Princess, you pay it when you make your final payment. Also IF you cancel your cruise for a reason other than health, before your final payment, your insurance is NOT refunded by HAL, although it may be applied to a future cruise.

In the same way, if you book your tours in advance with HAL, you are billed for said tours on your next credit card statement, unlike Princess where you pay at the completion of your cruise, regardless of when you booked.

Other than those points mentioned HAL and Princess are similar in most respects, other than the size of ship.

Good luck.

john

Hi Mike,

We are also Platium members of Princess, but after our last cruise, 9/07 on the Caribbean Princess, I swore I never wanted to cruise again, long story, and not entirely Princess' fault. Also, in general, just felt too crowded, like sheep being herded about. It is a large and lovely ship.

Now, some time has passed, we have spent too much money on traveling - hotel, airfare, food etc... a cruise is the best value as DH says - so I started researching, received the the HAL dvd, made some calls, have been reading CC - a LOT, asking questions ( hopefully I am not driving them nuts) and I really feel confident that HAL- Holiday Cruise/Noordam, will be a wonderful experience. I have learned so much here and the members have been spot on with their suggestions.

The big selling point for us are the extras included with our fare, more space in cabin, ex. I love breakfast in bed and still cannot believe all day/night room service just costs a mere tip to the room service attendant. On Princess just getting espresso or tea delivered to our room costs a fortune. I was also disappointed my 3 calls to Princess for any specials for Captains Circle members yielded nothing great.

So, I hope you find the info here as helpful as I have. We are going to pay our deposit tomorrow, now all I have to do is wait 5 more months !

HAL offers dining in the Lido in the evening in addition to the dining room. They put tablecloths and candles on the table. You get in the buffet line and go up and talk to the head waiter. There are displays of the various courses offered which is usually the same that is offered in the dining room. You tell the waiter what you want and have a seat. They bring your choices to you. It is faster than eating in the dining room, but it still has the various courses. You don't have to dress up--we've gone there in shorts. We really injoy this option!

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies so far. This is sounding more tempting. One other thing. On Princess, we have stayed in an inside cabin on the Lido Deck, because that is where the buffet/pool is. As I tried to say in my original post, that is where we spend all of our time during the day. Very easy access to those areas and back to your room. What would be the recommendation of something comparable on HAL? On the Veendam's deck plans, it looks like there are no guest rooms on the pool deck, so would you go one deck down?

Thanks again!

Mike

Great minds think alike!:D

I, Too, book inside cabins on Lido for exactly the same reasons.

One deck down is the next best option. Consider, as well, the Lower Promenade deck. It is wrap around, quite wide, and furnished in the daytime with lounge chairs. That is my favorite location on R and S class HAL ships. Many think of booking LP deck as having the largest balcony cabin afloat.

Except for the lack of midship elevators, Veendam is exceptionally well designed, with subdued, some say elegant, interiors.

The inside cabins are @ 20 sft larger than Grand's.

Odd that you're migrating for price. I first cruised Princess on Grand strictly for convenience when she sailed out of Galveston. I've not yet returned to HAL because of pricing. I initially wanted to to sail w/HAL for the New England/Canada itinerary, but ended up booking Sea Princess due to price. I booked a top category inside for LESS $ than a bottom category on HAL. Money talks, especially for port intensive cruises.

Although HAL's S and R ships are vastly different in size, I found it easy to adapt to Grand class. In many ways I prefer them. They are very intelligently designed with human scale interiors.

HAL now has AYW dining, a complement to Princess Anytime. I've had good experiences w/Anytime, and assume HAL's would be equivalent in service and seating availability.

Try Veendam. You may find that you prefer Princess, but I guarantee it won't suck! :)

Oh, I should mention that the Lido buffet is much saner than HC. It has segmented serial lines, much like Cafe Caribe.

For lunch, I usually mosey to the sandwich grill station for pastrami and corned beef on rye!!! Did I mention the no charge ice cream station in the buffet? It's honest to goodness real ice cream w/ lots of toppings.

I've adapted to HC's islands, but it's still too small an area for the number of grazers.

I have been on Diamond (2007) and Grand (2001) Princess in OV cabins and on HAL Maasdam (2004) and HAL Zuiderdam (2007).

The beds were upgraded on the Diamond, but they still aren't as good as HAL.

I like the bathroom and closet layout on Princess better. As you know when you enter your cabin you step to the side to get to the bathroom and closet instead of standing in the entryway on HAL ships to open the bathroom or closet doors. I really like this feature on Princess.

The Lido buffet on HAL is better organized than Horizon Court. The fresh squeezed OJ is wonderful. Free ice cream. Yummy bread pudding. Meusili!

I like the pools on Princess better.

There are formal nights on HAL where the dress code is followed in the main dining rooms, but the Lido is a nice alternative.

HMC has a much better sandy beach. DH and I found places to explore on the island.

Have a wonderful cruise.

SassyRedHat, I was going to ask the same question.....would HAL cruisers like Princess? DH and I love HAL, but have booked Princess for our 2009 Panama Canal cruise only because the dates worked out better than those offered by HAL in November, 2009. From what I've been reading on CC, I'm sure we will like Princess very much.:D

Djptcp~~~This is encouraging. Dh does not fly---period !

So, we have to take Princess to Alaska out of San Francisco. This is assuming they still have a ship in SF when we are ready to go.

You never know anymore. I have been longing to sail on Amsterdam, so we'll see.

Pat

Folks,

This is looking more like a done deal with everything I read. One other question comes to mind. On Princess they have Express Walk-off where for disembarkment if you deal with your own bags, you can be the first off the ship. It really makes it convenient if you have a fairly early flight. Does HAL offer something similar?

Thanks for all the great advice so far.

Mike

Archived