***7/13 Mariner Review***

[/url]

For those of you who have followed my LIVE thread, you know most of this, so I have decided I am going to keep this very short and very sweet. I will preface with saying this was the BEST CRUISE to date. If you want to hear about any of the activities and game shows and the Quest and such, you can get more details on that thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=807496

Embarking: Easy. We got there very early, 10am, and they did not let us into the pier till 10:30, so we did have to wait outside in a line. We were Diamond, so she sat in that section to wait, and ended up being first on the ship (besides the wedding party). As discussed on my LIVE thread, I did run...but didn’t knock anyone over :eek: (this time)

The ship is BEAUTIFUL and the staff was warm and friendly.

Cabin: We had room 9614, a JS (kids had adjoining 9612). It is the same room we had our last Explorer cruise. The room was perfect for us. Our room attendant, Sheldon, was sweet and right on top of things.

Dining Room: Hmmmmm, this is the tough part. Our waitress, Amalia, was very nice, but slow. Our assistant waiter was horrible. We couldn't’t get anything, and was the last to leave the dining room each night (we were not there all nights, but our table mates were). We ended up complaining and got a new assistant who was a DOLL. Her name was Dipa. The food was not outstanding as I remembered it on the Explorer, but it was fair to good. I was dieting and it was hard to find things to eat, but I managed. Hubby and daughter, and table mates, agreed things were just lacking “flavor”.

Windjammer : So much prettier than the Explorer. The food ranged in taste and presentation. I ate mostly fruit and salads. There is plenty to choose from (but not if you are dieting...lol). The staff there was more than happy to help find you tables when crowded.

***I should add here I did not gain a pound during the cruise. Just as good as losing!***:D :D

Portofino: Ate there one night, been there 5 times thus far, never disappoints. Yum.

Chops: INCREDIBLE!! It is our favorite place. We ate there twice (our 6th time there) and had Schubert. He was the sweetest man. The food was OUTSTANDING!!!! We lingered there each night for 2 ½ hours enjoying every minute of it. Should not be missed!!

Labadee: What can I say...I LOVE IT THERE!!!! Daughter did the Zip Line (she said it was AWESOME). And hubby and son the wave runners again (they love them). Had a few Labadoozies...still licking my lips from the delicious sweetness of them.

Ocho Rios: We did not get off the ship. I laid out on Deck 12 and used the day to do ship stuff and post on the thread. I needed a down day.

Grand Cayman: We went to the Hard Rock for lunch and shopped.

Cozumel, Mexico: Went to Paradise Beach…had a great time there! Did some shopping

Cruise Director: Drew Devine is a doll!!! He has replaced Allan Brookes as my CD heartthrob. He is a natural on that stage, and a genuine nice guy off it. (see LIVE thread for more). He has left on vacation, but will be back in February.

Disembarking: Oh wow, I am use to the horrible confusion of Bayonne. This was a BREEZE!! We were called at 7:45, no lines on the stairs, no buses to take....had a porter the second we were downstairs, our luggage was on a carousel, took 2 minutes to find it, and was in the car by 8am!!

This was the most incredible cruise!! I loved it all, even the things that were not perfect. (can’t sweat the small stuff.) It is a cruise I would take again, if The Mariner were not going to Calif. But we did book the Freedom for July 12th while on board.

Here come some pictures.......

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your daily posts. We board the Mariner on Aug 3rd, 12 of us (3 families). First cruise for one family and second for my family and the other.

Cruised on Carnival Conquest last year, this ship looks so pretty. I can't wait!!!

Thanks again!!

I too have been reading all your posts, and enjoying everyone. We are taking this same cruise on 12/14, and all your posts have just added to my excitement.

Please more photos, or a link if you post them somewhere else. Did you bring back the Cruise Compasses for each day? You know your fans will be eager to see those too! I haven't tried Chops yet, may have to schedule that one for December too. We loved Portofinos!

Thanks again for all the hard work you did for us, and sharing your vacation with those of us stuck at work!

Bravo!

Archived