Virgin America

BarbaB

Has anyone flown this airline, and if so, how strict are they on the 16 pound carry-on restriction?? Jeeze - our carryon itself is 10 pounds, and the laptop would put it at just about 16lbs. I, myself, don't see the need for the computer, but DH seems to go into withdraw without it. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Barb

Most airlines that have that 50lb limit will let you slide over by 1 or 2 pounds but thats it. If you are real lucky, you could get away with 17 pounds but I wouldn't test the system.

I would suggest using a soft bag such as a gym bag instead of a hard suitcase.

They are VERY strict or maybe we just got a clerk in a BAD mood! They weighed our carry ons and our back packs and even though I cajoled, whined, begged etc:D they made me abide by their SIXTEEN pounds-which is basically my back pack with pills, books, IPOD, travel docs etc SO we had to do a quick repack and check our NORMAL sized but OVERWEIGHT carry on! Maybe you will get lucky and get a clerk in a good mood:rolleyes:

I love Virgin Air...I fly them every chance I get. I flew with them LAX to LHR and back again, and had no trouble with carry ons. As we were getting into the check in line, they just looked at your carry on and most just passed. The only people I saw have trouble were the ones who tried to bring the large 22" luggage carry ons on board. I did try to find a carry on that was light though. Ended up with a Samsonite rolling case and then I checked it on the way home. Hope that helps, enjoy your cruise!

I love Virgin Air...I fly them every chance I get. I flew with them LAX to LHR and back again, and had no trouble with carry ons.
It must be remembered that there is no such airline as "Virgin Air". (And this isn't just a "lazy American use of names" thing.)

"Virgin America" is the airline that the OP was asking about. This is a US-based airline doing shorthaul flights on a mostly low-fare model.

"Virgin Atlantic" is a completely different airline that shares little other than a licence to use the "Virgin" brand and the availability of the world's most shameless self-publicist to help with any stunt that the PR people can dream up. Virgin Atlantic is a London-based exclusively full service longhaul airline.

So trying to read across from Virgin Atlantic's treatment of cabin baggage to predict what Virgin America will do is about as useful as [insert metaphor of choice].

It must be remembered that there is no such airline as "Virgin Air". (And this isn't just a "lazy American use of names" thing.)

"Virgin America" is the airline that the OP was asking about. This is a US-based airline doing shorthaul flights on a mostly low-fare model.

"Virgin Atlantic" is a completely different airline that shares little other than a licence to use the "Virgin" brand and the availability of the world's most shameless self-publicist to help with any stunt that the PR people can dream up. Virgin Atlantic is a London-based exclusively full service longhaul airline.

So trying to read across from Virgin Atlantic's treatment of cabin baggage to predict what Virgin America will do is about as useful as [insert metaphor of choice].

Agree, I think the OP was asking about Virgin Atlantic and carry-ons, not Virgin America.

They are VERY strict or maybe we just got a clerk in a BAD mood! ... SO we had to do a quick repack and check our NORMAL sized but OVERWEIGHT carry on! Maybe you will get lucky and get a clerk in a good mood:rolleyes:

Did this happen at the gate or up front? I haven't really noticed a scale at their gate in San Diego. I would really hate to be caught short and need to check fragile and/or valuable items at the last minute.

Did this happen at the gate or up front? I haven't really noticed a scale at their gate in San Diego. I would really hate to be caught short and need to check fragile and/or valuable items at the last minute.

That's because I believe OP was talking about Virgin Atlantic, NOT Virgin America. I haven't seen any domestic carrier weigh carry-ons.

That's because I believe OP was talking about Virgin Atlantic, NOT Virgin America. I haven't seen any domestic carrier weigh carry-ons.

I took the OP as a question about Virgin America. OP is in Maryland. Virgin America flies out of Washington DC (IAD) to most of the West Coast.

Until the OP posts again, we really can't determine which airline the OP was posting about.

Think the OP was definitely asking about Virgin America ... as indeed the title of her post indicates. What leads me to that conclusion?

Firstly, she refers to a 16lb carry on allowance, which is what Virgin America, but not Virgin Atlantic, allows. Secondly, she is cruising on Westerdam, which is currently operating out of Seattle, to which Virgin America has services from Washington DC.

Hopefully she didn't have any problems with her carry-on on her flight to Seattle ... luckily the advice she got on the day of her post related to Virgin America

Cheers

Bob

WHICH is the airlines owned by the VERY rich Australian gentleman???? THAT is the one that was SO strict about the 16 lb carry on.
The airline that was owned by the "very rich Australian gentleman" was, I think, called Ansett. But Ansett went bust in 2001, never to be seen again.

There's a very rich British man (I think one might hesitate to call him a gentleman) who is involved in airlines. These airlines include Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America. I'm not sure how much he owns, directly or indirectly, of each, though. He is also involved in the Australian airline Virgin Blue, and via that with its subsidiaries Pacific Blue and V Australia.

There, is that any clearer now? ;)

The airline that was owned by the "very rich Australian gentleman" was, I think, called Ansett. But Ansett went bust in 2001, never to be seen again.

There's a very rich British man (I think one might hesitate to call him a gentleman) who is involved in airlines. These airlines include Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America. I'm not sure how much he owns, directly or indirectly, of each, though. He is also involved in the Australian airline Virgin Blue, and via that with its subsidiaries Pacific Blue and V Australia.

There, is that any clearer now? ;)

Maybe:D What is his name?? I think it was VIRGIN ATLANTIC cuz we were flying OUT of the country where they made me pack and repack till I met there 16 lb carry one. Now I am hung up on his name. I NEED to get a life! Thanks!

Archived