Booking cruise online or through travel agent?

cpgrneyes

I know there have been other posts on this topic, so forgive me! I have a cabin on hold for fall 2009 on Azamara. I think the cabin is perfect for me (mid-ship Sky Suite - while I loved our Millie FV aft, the Sunset Verandas just look too small on A's ships), and I love the planning part, so a year+ in advance is just fine.

One of my coworker's mothers is a TA, and I spoke with her for a total of about 30 minutes about itinerary, Azamara vs. Regent vs. Oceania, etc. When I asked her to get the price for me, she came back with the exact cost I have for booking directly with Celebrity/Azamara. No offer of OBC, gratuities, nada. While I'd like to help her out, and she obviously has more experience than I do, I don't quite get the advantage of giving up control over the trip by using a TA.

I love researching, and between CC and other sites, I think I can find what I need, but I understand that sometimes TA's can get cabins/info or DISCOUNTS that pax can't.

Am I missing something? Are other TA's more willing to give some financial perk to clients? Don't mean to sound greedy, but I read all these posts about incentives and darn it, I'd like some too!

I would just nip it in the bud by asking "What advantage do I have booking with you rather than elsewhere when you're quoting the exact same rate?"

If she doesn't offer you some incentive at that point, I would simply decline her business. In other words, you've given her the option to make a counteroffer and if she doesn't bite......;)

Thanks - that's what I basically asked and she cited her agencies "extensive knowledge, ability to get answers quickly, a one-stop shop and volume!"

Do other agencies all offer incentives? It's a 14 day cruise, so there's obviously plenty of commission for them!

Thanks - that's what I basically asked and she cited her agencies "extensive knowledge, ability to get answers quickly, a one-stop shop and volume!"

Do other agencies all offer incentives? It's a 14 day cruise, so there's obviously plenty of commission for them!

Oh, so you've already gotten your answer? Hmmm...not a good enough answer for me. Not all agencies will offer incentives. Since you love doing your own research, I would simply start shopping online to see what is available or even use the site that will give you quotes from more than one agency (sorry, can't mention the name) and you can compare prices and incentives there. Heck, even make a few phone calls. Just don't be surprised if you get the same results elsewhere. Good luck.;)

Some TAs may offer better deals for a given cruise than other TAs but beyond that not much can be said as per Cruise Critic guidelines:

"There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic."

Thanks for the replies. I booked the cruise we just completed directly with Celebrity and had absolutely no trouble, but I am going to check some online agencies - I've seen a couple hundred dollars OBC offered, and as long as I don't need to pay them in full up front, it might be worth it!

I would book the cruise directly with the cruiseline and secure the cabin that you want. At this point you are free to shop around. It is very easy to transfer a booking to a TA.

I agree. Since you have lots of time to shop, reserve the cabin now and transfer if you find a better deal later.

Okay, last question - can I transfer a booking to an online agency if I see a good deal or only to a traditional agency? I just found one online agency that offers a 10% discount (OBC, gratuities, etc.) which, for 14 days for 2 people, is a lot of OBC!

I have booked my cruises using all three of the options that you mentioned. I have never personally transferred a booking, but many people on this forum have shared their positive experiences. Most of my bookings have at least partially involved an on line process. The only caution related to cancellation/change fees. I would recommend ithat you confirm and understand the charges for cancellation or changes if one exists. The on line agencies have different policies. It would only be an issue if you believe you might cancel the cruise at some point. From my experience the OBC is always more than the fees, so it is worth the risk. Of course if you cancel the cruise, you might still be charged something like $100 a person. Since you do not really need the TA for assistance, then the OBC is really just a "legal" way for them to give you a discount. The bottom line is the total cost and your comfort with making the decision based on your own research. A TA has never chosen my cruise or cabin for me. CC is a great tool for research.

Good luck on your decision and enjoy your cruise.

One of my coworker's mothers is a TA, and I spoke with her for a total of about 30 minutes about itinerary, Azamara vs. Regent vs. Oceania, etc. When I asked her to get the price for me, she came back with the exact cost I have for booking directly with Celebrity/Azamara. No offer of OBC, gratuities, nada. While I'd like to help her out, and she obviously has more experience than I do, I don't quite get the advantage of giving up control over the trip by using a TA.

I think you are being very unfair to your coworker's mother. She spend 30-minutes giving you all kind of information and now you are going to just book with someone else. Don't you think that maybe you owe her something for the 30-minutes and her expertise?

I always use a TA because of a bad experience with on-line agents. When something goes wrong either before or during the cruise I walk into the agency and talking face to face with my agents and it always get resolved to my satisfaction.

I would first find a local TA that does NOT have any fees, some on-line agents have all kinds of extra fees especially when you want to make a chance like early to late sitting.

Just my opinion

BTW, Royal Caribbean recommends using a travel agent

Maya, thanks for your response. Our 30 minute conversation was a conversation...I had already done my own research, and she shared her opinions with me. While I might owe her something, now that I'm getting some quotes with incentives, I do not think the conversation is valued at over $500! That said, I do plan to send her a gift card as a token of my appreciation of her time.

I would be surprised if all travel agents book every trip they discuss with a potential client.

Ask the agent what their fees amount too and make sure that it equals or exceeds the online price.

There are no fees for using a TA. Their commissions are paid by the cruise line. The only fees charged to customers are cancellation fees (some) and a charge for booking air. The only reason they charge for booking the air is that the airlines don't pay the commission.

The only reason we use a TA is to having someone covering our backs State side if we run into trouble. One call to the TA and she calls us back with fix. Unless you have someone to do that for, you there isn't much difference between doing it yourself and using a TA.

Maya, thanks for your response. Our 30 minute conversation was a conversation...I had already done my own research, and she shared her opinions with me. While I might owe her something, now that I'm getting some quotes with incentives, I do not think the conversation is valued at over $500! That said, I do plan to send her a gift card as a token of my appreciation of her time.

I would be surprised if all travel agents book every trip they discuss with a potential client.

I am sure that a TA does not book every trip they discuss with a potential client as neither does a car salesmen or any other sales person.

I would hope at least you went back to her and ask her if she could match your price. I do this all the time. Since Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do not permit rebating a $500.00 difference would put up red flags for me.

I am not a ta, but, I am in sales. Everyone is looking for a deal! (me too) 30 minutes is nothing in time to me, BUT, it's that 30 minutes that I have to gain your confidence and work on something to make you happpy. The ta knew what you wanted but probably doesn't have the authority to cut you anything. Keep trying, someone will care about your business and gaining your loyalty! :cool:

If it costs no more to book through a local, knowledgeable agent than throught the cruise line I will always book through the agent.

I like to keep the commission dollars in my community. Also, if there ever are any problems with the booking my agent can sit on the phone with the cruise line rather than me using my time to do so.

I've always had an agent who charges no cancellation fees for cruises.

I have no problem with somebody making money for providing a service, and somewhat regret booking directly with Celebrity for my last cruise, as THEY actually kept any commission that somebody else would have made.

However, since I selected the line, the itinerary and the cabin (turns out I knew more about the cabins through research on CC than the TA did who had sailed on the ship), it makes more sense to get OBC from an online agency.

Agree with keeping the money in the neighborhood, but 1) the TA is 500 miles away, and 2) called me back both times from a cell phone when she wasn't at the computer to answer questions. No big deal really, but she provided nothing that I can't provide myself!

Will be booking through an online agency and collecting some credits this time around.

I am sure that a TA does not book every trip they discuss with a potential client as neither does a car salesmen or any other sales person.

I would hope at least you went back to her and ask her if she could match your price. I do this all the time. Since Celebrity and Royal Caribbean do not permit rebating a $500.00 difference would put up red flags for me.

They do permit giving out onboard credit. My TA gives it to me on every trip.

They do permit giving out onboard credit. My TA gives it to me on every trip.

I agree that they can and do give OBS but $500 is significant.

Don't know what the OP is booking but let say the cruise is costing $3,500. Agent commission at 15% (most get less). Commission on $3,500 is $525.

Remember that the TA is not getting commission on the $3,500 but considerable less. They do not pay commiccions on port charges, taxes and other fees which are all included in the $3,500. I would estimate that actual commission is much less than $500.00

If TA is giving you OBC or any other incentive costing $500.00 I would be carefull (red flags)

I previously booked our cruises through a major on-line agency but when the agent we had used for a number of years left (Angie Nolan, if anyone else remembers her) and was replaced with someone I felt was less than competent I switched to a TA (the local office of a large NY based travel company). My new method is to check all of the major on-line agencies for the best deal and then go to the TA and ask her to meet the price. It works well and I get the personal attention of a TA. We recently booked a trans-Atlantic cruise next year and the agency is prepaying our gratuities.

We recently had a very bad experience with a TA and RCI wouldn't do anything to help us out since the agency owns the booking. So now I book directly and wait until shortly before final payment to transfer the booking to a (different) TA who has always provided excellent service, if for no other reason than to help us out of a jam if necessary (knock wood, it hasn't been).

I'm too much of a control freak to lose all control over my reservation - I've seen price drops over the weekend and had to wait until Monday and hope that the TA was there and the price hadn't changed. Who needs the stress?:)

We don't book online much, though - we usually communicate by email or phone.

I am not a ta, but, I am in sales. Everyone is looking for a deal! (me too) 30 minutes is nothing in time to me, BUT, it's that 30 minutes that I have to gain your confidence and work on something to make you happpy. The ta knew what you wanted but probably doesn't have the authority to cut you anything. Keep trying, someone will care about your business and gaining your loyalty! :cool:

Also being in sales and education, I can tell you that discounting does not create consumer loyalty.

When you give a discount you created a loyalty to the discount (dollar) not the agency.

I will take a risk and ask member of this board how many get a discount one year and then next time they want to book a cruise NOT go looking for a another or better discount. They will check with the previous agency but are NOT loyal to booking with them again unless they are given the best discount.

The loyalty is given to the discount not the agency.

As far as taking an agent’s time and getting all this free expertise I refer to a lawyer or doctor or any other service industry. They all charge for advice and expertise so why should TA be different.

When selling a product it’s different since the same product is available in many places, but when selling advice and expertise such as a TA is doing, they deserve the booking. This is why many agents today no longer give out free advice and research they have up front fee which will be applied toward booking, but if not booked with them no refund. The free lunch is slowely going buy buy

Is it really fair for someone use a TA getting all the information helping pick the best ship and itinerary for them and then they book on-line giving some far away agent the business who does nothing and many cases knows nothing except to discount?

Go on start the flaming

Archived