14 day Mediterranean cruise HELP with conversion charges

It is getting down to the wire for me, and I am stumped as to what to use while in port in Europe. Credit card, cash, travelers checks, Euros?

I am arriving in Southampton England from the USA, what do you all suggest I do about converting USD; or should I at all?

I tried applying for the Capitol one card but it won't be enough of a limit nor arrive in time for me to use it. I do have other cards, so I hope someone here can tell me what they used while in Europe.

Any recommendations are appreciated..:)

In Gibralter they will accept euros and GBP sterling. Every other port will accept euros; the ship is in $. I am therefore bringing 3 currencies as I already have some leftover from previous trips but will probably need more as we love to shop. (where on a qwerty keyboard is the euro sign?!)

Europe - you can use the same as US - Visa, Mastercard or American Express. We are taking combination of cash in Dollars, Euro's(more Euro because most of our ports use Euro) etc. as well as a credit card on our med cruise. You can always change dollars into local currency at a port. Depends how long you are in uk with regards to the pound.

Hope I've helped and not confused you further.:)

We used our debit card for cash at ATM's in Europe. Your bank will charge a service charge but you will get a better exchange rate. Currency exchanges overseas and even the ship have poor exchange rates. It worked out very nicely and you don't have to worry about travelers checks. Also keep in mind that Discover is not generally accepted in Europe, and some places will not take American Express, MC and Visa are your best bets for charging your purchases. Have a nice cruise!

You can use a combo--we did great with ATMs in Italy & France --they are in many places -- but also you could use the credit card in other places if they take them--guess a combo is best---they all have fees but if you pay it off as soon as you get home it won't pile up..

In Gibralter they will accept euros and GBP sterling. Every other port will accept euros; the ship is in $. I am therefore bringing 3 currencies as I already have some leftover from previous trips but will probably need more as we love to shop. (where on a qwerty keyboard is the euro sign?!)

Hold down alt and press 0128.

It is getting down to the wire for me, and I am stumped as to what to use while in port in Europe. Credit card, cash, travelers checks, Euros?

I am arriving in Southampton England from the USA, what do you all suggest I do about converting USD; or should I at all?

I tried applying for the Capitol one card but it won't be enough of a limit nor arrive in time for me to use it. I do have other cards, so I hope someone here can tell me what they used while in Europe.

Any recommendations are appreciated..:)

We are going to Europe in September and are using Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking account debit card: no minimum balance and they do not charge ATM fees or conversion charges. We intend to get off the plane in London and go directly to an ATM machine and get cash. If you are interested, you can apply online or call them direct and talk to them - they are very helpful.

On my keyboard hold down Ctrl + Alt + 4 together to get €

Archived