Embarkation-spirit-san Diego ?

AZCAMM

Hi there,

We're going on the Spirit for the first time out of San Diego. Wondering if they have the "early check-in" desk like the one in Long Beach. Also, how soon can you be there, at the port, and how soon do they let you board?

In general, how easy it the process? The last 2 cruises we've done, we had VIP boarding due to us being in wedding parties. Oh, how is the parking?

Does the San Diego location have a parking garage or lot ? Do the porters come and take the suitcases? So many questions I know.

Thanks, Azcamm

Hi there,

We're going on the Spirit for the first time out of San Diego. Wondering if they have the "early check-in" desk like the one in Long Beach. Also, how soon can you be there, at the port, and how soon do they let you board?

In general, how easy it the process? The last 2 cruises we've done, we had VIP boarding due to us being in wedding parties. Oh, how is the parking?

Does the San Diego location have a parking garage or lot ? Do the porters come and take the suitcases? So many questions I know.

Thanks, Azcamm

No need for early check in at San Diego. It is one of the easiest ports to sail from. Never waited more then 15 minutes if that, and other times we walked right in, walked right up to the desk, and right on the ship just like that:D

We park in the lot directly across the street. Walk across go thru security gate up to the porters and walk into the terminal. The lot across the street cost more then others but I would park no where else just because of the convienence getting off and on the ship.

Actually if this would be your platinum cruise........it sadly would not be worth it for embarkation:D

This is a beautiful ship and port to sail out of!

It is very easy to park across the street, drop your bags off, and are inside with a little to no wait. We had to wait about 15 minutes to board the ship.

Enjoy your first cruise on the Spirit and please report back once you return. Would love to hear your thoughts!:)

We got there at 11:00 and had VIP boarding due to my being platinum. We were headed to the restroom after checking in and they were calling for us to board. We didn't even get to sit down and wait. Was the best ever.

Candi

Hi there,

Thanks, Azcamm

You can show up and start boarding around 11:30am, This terminal is one of the easiest to deal with, they have 30+ booths to assist with check-in and debarkation is a breeze, you just exit the ship and hand over your customs form and thats it.

As for porters, they are outside of the terminal and will glady assist you with your luggage, no problems with porters here.

Fred

The parking lot across the street from the Cruise Terminal is $15.00 per day, its called Five Star Parking at Lane Field. Lane Field used to be a ballpark, below is a picture that was shot back on July 29, 1936. This ballpark was home of the San Diego Padres of the Pacific Coast League from 1936 - 1959. Before it was called Lane Field, the stadium began its life as a U.S. Navy athletic field in 1925. The building on the left across from the ball park was owned by the U.S. Navy and I was stationed there from 86 - 89, it was the Naval Communication Station and also the Naval Supply Center. Below I posted the address and phone number.

79-741-119.jpg

lanefield.jpg

Five Star Parking-Lane Field

800 Broadway

San Diego, CA 92101

(619) 230-1435

WOW ! Thanks to everyone who responded. Sounds great. My husband is thinking he'd ask one of the kids to take us to the boat but not sure yet.

I just can't wait and really it will be here before we realize it.

I've sailed into SD port before, but as one of the regular cruise stops. So when you arrive there, do you have to walk to that long driveway and into that huge warehouse type building ?

The other poster said that vip boarding wasn't really a big deal there ?

I'll be sailing out of this port for two cruises for 12 days total... So parking for me would be a bit pricey.. Are they any cheap SAFE parking lots nearby with shuttle service ?

thanks

I've sailed into SD port before, but as one of the regular cruise stops. So when you arrive there, do you have to walk to that long driveway and into that huge warehouse type building ?

I'll be sailing out of this port for two cruises for 12 days total... So parking for me would be a bit pricey.. Are they any cheap SAFE parking lots nearby with shuttle service ?

thanks

Southbayer~ That's a good question. After looking at the photos I was wondering how difficult it will be to drag the luggage across the driveway into the terminal. I was also thinking that I could be dropped off at the terminal with the luggage while hubby gets the car parked then walk on over to join me. It's an idea.

thanks

Oh, by the way......how does one get to be Platinum status ?

We are past cruisers with 3 Carnival cruises behind us and one upcoming !

Oh, by the way......how does one get to be Platinum status ?

We are past cruisers with 3 Carnival cruises behind us and one upcoming !

You will become platinum on your tenth Carnival sailing.

I am not very familiar with the parking options in San Diego but when we sailed from there in April our cab was allowed into the pier. Our checked luggage was taken from the cab trunk and handed to the porters, all we did was walk into the terminal building with our carry-ons.

Southbayer~ That's a good question. After looking at the photos I was wondering how difficult it will be to drag the luggage across the driveway into the terminal. I was also thinking that I could be dropped off at the terminal with the luggage while hubby gets the car parked then walk on over to join me. It's an idea.

Just swing by with the checked luggage and drop it off, go park, and carry-on your carry-on's. We do this all the time in FLA. I'm more comfortable not having to split up and then met up.

Just swing by with the checked luggage and drop it off, go park, and carry-on your carry-on's. We do this all the time in FLA. I'm more comfortable not having to split up and then met up.

We do this in Galveston and have done likewise in New Orleans and Mobile but I'm not so sure it will be that easy in San Diego. The terminal doesn't have a long driveway and it seemed to us that private cars were not allowed past security into the pier area. Perhaps someone more familiar with the port can give a better answer about what dropping off here involves.

thanks

That warehouse is the terminal lol! There will be a entrance at the front you don't walk all the way down to the end. There are other places to park and be shuttled in, but I'm not familiar with them. Someone else will chime in about them....

It's was never difficult for us, as long as you have rolling suitcases you should be fine. It is directly across the street.

Yes hubby can drop you and the luggage off and go back and park the car. Please remember he keeps his docs with him while he does this because they won't let him back in without them. We did this the first time we sailed out of there and my dh and ds dropped me and dil off with the luggage and when they tried to get back in and my dh did not have his docs (they were in my purse lol) But since my ds had his they let them back in.......

Good luck!

That warehouse is the terminal lol! There will be a entrance at the front you don't walk all the way down to the end. There are other places to park and be shuttled in, but I'm not familiar with them. Someone else will chime in about them....

It's was never difficult for us, as long as you have rolling suitcases you should be fine. It is directly across the street.

Yes hubby can drop you and the luggage off and go back and park the car. Please remember he keeps his docs with him while he does this because they won't let him back in without them. We did this the first time we sailed out of there and my dh and ds dropped me and dil off with the luggage and when they tried to get back in and my dh did not have his docs (they were in my purse lol) But since my ds had his they let them back in.......

Good luck!

There are many options available including park and sail packages at local Hotel's. One night stay they keep your car and shuttle you to the cruise terminal. Parking lots farther from the terminal are a little less expensive. DW and I parked right there and rolled our luggage over it was not that far. As others have said it is one of the easiest embarkation ports I have been to. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Best place to park is at San Park Pacific Highway, its only 10.00 per day and they will shuttle you to the Cruise Terminal and pick you up when you return. This is where I park my car when I go to Vegas for the weekend.

Take the Civic Center Drive exit off the I-5 or the Exit that says to Cruise Terminal and make a right turn on Sassafras street and head down to the very end. This lot is connected to the Airport runway and is only 3 to 5 minutes to the Cruise Terminal.

SAN Park Pacific Highway

3302 Pacific Highway

San Diego, CA 92101

1,600 Parking Stalls $10 per Day

Phone: 888.2-FLY-SAN

This is there website: http://www.san.org/airport/parking/long_term.asp

Fred

I agree with the rest of the posters here San Diego is great ....You can pull into the dock area..Porters there will assist you in unloading your luggage then drive across the street to park........When we disembarked we walked across the street with our luggage short walk not a problem at all....Here is a current price list of parking lots in the area i found online

http://www.sandiegocruiseport.com/index.php/san-diego-cruise-tips.html

Within the next couple of years this Lane Field Parking lot will be no more, it will be a 500 room hotel, not sure what company is named but it will probably replace the The Holiday Inn as the go to Cruise Terminal Hotel.

Fred

The terminal doesn't have a long driveway and it seemed to us that private cars were not allowed past security into the pier area. Perhaps someone more familiar with the port can give a better answer about what dropping off here involves.

Last time we were there, they did allow private vehicles into the pier area. DH can't walk from the parking lot across the street, so I have to drop him off. As someone said later, you must show ID and tickets to get into the secure area. Piece of cake. The only problem is if there is no parking along the curb available (like at airports, no double parking) you have to circle back around. They have changed the parking lot now and you may not have to exit the pier area and go out onto the street, make a U-turn at the signal and try and make another U-turn to get back in line to enter again.

I'm sure Fred can answer that question.

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn right across the street. I plan to walk to the terminal. I'm assuming that that this is doable?

Its doable, just realize there is alot of traffic and they don't always stop for you!:( There is a giant clearly marked cross walk.

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn right across the street. I plan to walk to the terminal. I'm assuming that that this is doable?

It is very doable -- my husband and I did it when we stayed at the Holiday Inn the night before our cruise on the Spirit. We did walk to the intersection with a traffic light, as we had quite a "train" of wheeled luggage behind us and we didn't want to take a chance on getting caught in traffic. At least with the traffic light you know you're going to have time to get across the street!

Archived