If you transfer booking to a TA..

Can you still access your account online to make tour/excursion reservations or specialty restaurant reservations?

How about the online check-in?

Or does everything go through the TA once you transfer?

I am currently comparing online TA's to see what they offer for OBC or pre-paid gratuities. But I am wondering if there are any drawbacks that I am not aware of. I know I should ask about any additional fees/cancellation fees, and about honoring price drops after final payment. Anything else I should ask as I "interview" various agencies?

I have transfered two cruises from RCCL to a TA. I can check in on-line, add shore excursions, book specialty restaurants, etc directly on the RCCL website. I can manage everything about my booking except make payment on-line. I must do that directly through the TA. It's a great way to get OBCs!

I have transfered two cruises from RCCL to a TA. I can check in on-line, add shore excursions, book specialty restaurants, etc directly on the RCCL website. I can manage everything about my booking except make payment on-line. I must do that directly through the TA. It's a great way to get OBCs!

Also I might add you can no longer call RCCL directly to make a cabin switch, either to another cabin in the same category you booked or if you wanted to buy a higher category cabin. You would have to call your travel agent to do either of the 2.

Jimbo:)

I just did this for the first time as well. I switched to a TA to get an extra $100 OBC. I can still see everything except the payment info on my RCCL account. I never did this before, but will from now on, as I love the extra spending money!

Can you transfer even if the cruise is paid in full? How would that work? I'm interested in any OBC's I can get :D

You cannot transfer to a TA once the cruise is paid in full. Someone else suggested that you might be able to overcome this restriction by switching to a more expensive stateroom, thereby incurring more cost. If this is done prior to the final payment date, I suppose you would then have re-enabled the opportunity to transfer to a TA. I've never tried this.

Final payment has been made. I just want to increase my chances of getting OBC's....

The OBC's are negotiated with your T/A prior to assigning them the cruise (anytime before final payment). A lot of experienced cruisers obtain an OBC worth about 10% of the net cruise cost (excluding taxes). A lot of people will try to scare you off booking with a T/A but my personal experience has been fantastic.

Also I might add you can no longer call RCCL directly to make a cabin switch, either to another cabin in the same category you booked or if you wanted to buy a higher category cabin. You would have to call your travel agent to do either of the 2.

You never could call direct if you had a TA.

What is the process to change from direct to a TA?

We have always used a TA.......but booked last Sunday an Azamara cruise direct since the TA was closed.........so for the first time ever I'm holding a cruise direct. It is my intent to switch.......is it as simple as going in to my TA and having her call while I am there?? After 17 cruises I've just never done this before.........but a couple of bottles of wine on a Sunday afternoon with friends made us pick up the phone and book.......:) Now I need to switch it.

thanks.

We have always used a TA.......but booked last Sunday an Azamara cruise direct since the TA was closed.........so for the first time ever I'm holding a cruise direct. It is my intent to switch.......is it as simple as going in to my TA and having her call while I am there?? After 17 cruises I've just never done this before.........but a couple of bottles of wine on a Sunday afternoon with friends made us pick up the phone and book.......:) Now I need to switch it.

thanks.

Actually it's even more simple then that. Just call your TA with your confirmation number for the cruise. The TA can take it from there...or at least, that's how mine does it.

I book direct, call or email the confirm number, she takes it over. Very easy. :)

thanks.

Call your TA and they'll talk you through it. You'll need to fill out a form and fax it to RCL.

If you want to capture a price drop, you have to do it through your TA once you have transferred your reservation. Hope the one you pick is more on the ball than mine. Very slow responses, even though he assured me before I selected him that that would not be the case.

I also have a unique situation. I see a problem with the RCCL charge on my BOA credit card. I presume I can't deal directly with RCCL about that but have to go through the TA. Haven't tackled that one yet.

All in all, it has not been a happy experience for me. I'll forgo the OBC next time and continue to control my reservation.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000ZKscAK8KQ-2bvCcKmRY9WhE:12hdhubrs?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=2004&faqSubjectId=323&faqType=faq

Btw, I never transfer to a travel agency until about a week before final payment is due, this way I have total control of the booking up until then plus I seem to get a higher amount of onboard credit since the agency is going to recieve their commission much sooner and there is almost no chance of them losing the booking because the cruise is so close.and we won't be canceling.

Jimbo

Thanks for all the info!

I have been checking with various agencies today - one that looked promising except they seem to be unwilling to tell me what the OBC would be unless we are on a conference call with RC :confused: .

I have informed them that I am not ready to switch yet - but they still want to do it that way. I don't quite understand why - I suppose I could insist they just give me the $ or forget it!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000XYUB996qJQ9dXjzdfEx2Vgr:12hdhu6tq?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=2004&faqSubjectId=323&faqType=faq

Btw, I never transfer to a travel agency until about a week before final payment is due, this way I have total control of the booking up until then plus I seem to get a higher amount of onboard credit since the agency is going to recieve their commission much sooner and there is almost no chance of them losing the booking because the cruise is so close.and we won't be canceling.

Jimbo

So you wait to talk to the agency until you are ready?

You never could transfer after final payment.

You never could call direct if you had a TA.

right. i think you misunderstood us. i was telling that person that they couldn't do it any longer meaning that it is too late for them to do it now that they had paid. not that it is a new thing.

and i think that the other poster was saying that they won't be able to make those changes any more on their own if they switch. not that that is a new thing either.

So you wait to talk to the agency until you are ready?

Well, we have cruised often, don't always use the same agency, with about 10 days to go I start checking to see how much certain agencies are giving out at the time. Then we kind of grease some of them just to see how hungry they are, to see if they will match or beat one of the offers I get. Yeah I know it sounds bad but it's business I guess.:cool:

Cruisinfanatic...sorry about that, be kind....:)

Well, we have cruised often, don't always use the same agency, with about 10 days to go I start checking to see how much certain agencies are giving out at the time. Then we kind of grease some of them just to see how hungry they are, to see if they will match or beat one of the offers I get. Yeah I know it sounds bad but it's business I guess.:cool:

Cruisinfanatic...sorry about that, be kind....:)

it doesn't sound bad at all. some people find value in their TAs by building relationships and others don't. obviously you are the latter. if you feel confident that you are going to get service you can count on enough to meet your needs after you transfer the booking that is all that really matters. some people think that $50, $75, $100+ above what other TAs offer isn't worth the effort. but you don't feel that way. depending on the trip sometimes i would agree with you and sometimes i wouldn't. i happen to like my TA and don't shop around at the moment. but if a significant obc difference was brought to my attention i may be tempted to do what you do.

:D:D

Archived