Customs Ref Jewelry Etc

STEPHEN LARKIN

:cool: Hi everyone , Im a little worried about taking some of my more expensive items on holiday with me , I will be sailing from N.Y. on 4th Oct 2008 bound for Southampton .

No 1 : Flying from the UK to Newark airport , will customs

question me bringing expensive items into the U.S. for example : a Rolex watch , jewellry etc ?

No 2 : On arrival at Southampton , has anyone come up against

any problems with customs , ref import tax ?

Any of your thoughts on this matter would be gratefully appreciated , and no i`m not a Diamond smuggler , pity really because if I was I could afford this trip regulary !

Cheers ... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Guest Anorak33

Never had any problem with customs at either end, however I would be very wary of taking any expensive items abroad as it will make you a target for mugging etc if you wear them (not on the ship of course) and if you don't wear them then they are in your luggage and vulnerable - also probably not insured in that case?

If you carry them in your pockets thats dangerous as with all the metal detectors etc you'd be forever taking them in and out and displaying them to the world.

Tourists stick out like a sore thumb to local criminals, there are ports where we won't even take a digital slr, just a cheap camera. I know you are just going to be in New Jersey and New York but they are not the safest places in the world. Southampton I don't think I'd worry too much in the daytime.

Don't expect policing and crime levels to be as good in other parts of the world as it is in the North of Ireland.

In Guatemala on a cruise this year a lady passenger on our ship had her $5 (but glitzy) bracelets ripped from her wrist and suffered bruising and a bit of shock as a result.

So I wouldn't even wear a fake Rolex ashore or anything which looked valuable.

When you arrive in the US the airline will have you fill out a Customs Declaration Form. For vistors to the US they only want you to declare those items that you are not taking back with you to the UK.

A "normal" amount of jewlery, watches and stuff should be no problem.

Now, you should check with the Customs folks in the UK about returning. In the US, we can register our foreign items, like lap tops, etc before we leave the US. This will prove we already owned it before we left the US.

John

Guest Anorak33
When you arrive in the US the airline will have you fill out a Customs Declaration Form. For vistors to the US they only want you to declare those items that you are not taking back with you to the UK.

A "normal" amount of jewlery, watches and stuff should be no problem.

Now, you should check with the Customs folks in the UK about returning. In the US, we can register our foreign items, like lap tops, etc before we leave the US. This will prove we already owned it before we left the US.

John

Hi John, what you posted is not exactly correct.

The US Customs form asks you to declare any items which you will be leaving in the US, not any you won't be taking back to the UK.

I have filled in up to $1000 or so for this reason and they waved me on, no charge. Too much paperwork apparently for small taxes payable.

But the OP will not be leaving anything in the US so has nothing to put on the form but "Zero".

In over half a century of returning to UK I have never had a problem with Customs asking questions about jewellery or expensive equipment which I had taken out of UK and was returning with.

Registering items with HMCR would seem to be over the top in the circumstances, akthough having a receipt for the Rolex might be a good idea to take if the OP really feels he has to take the watch, personally I have an elegant but inexpensive Seiko which keeps excellent time and is ideal for travelling.

Statistically you have a 1 in 2000 chance of being searched randomly by US Customs and the last couple of times at Southampton there were no officers in evidence, however we had returned from a European cruise on those occasions, no doubt QM2 T/Atlantic travellers will know if HMCR are often in evidence for those voyage returns.

The only time I,ve seen customs in Southampton was at the end of a world cruise ,otherwise they seem to be non existent.

For some reason, they were greatly in evidence when we returned in May this year, and stopping quite a few people.

Mary

Stephen,

You will probably find a Rolex or any other item of jewelery is more expensive this side of the pond than in the US. I always wear my Rolex, just make sure your insuance covers it against loss when on holiday.

Have a good cruise

The only time I,ve seen customs in Southampton was at the end of a world cruise

Not this year :)

I always wear my Rolex, just make sure your insurance covers it against loss when on holiday.

Same here :) On the WC we also had a cheap watch each for those ports were we felt it wasn't quite as safe as we'd have liked but we only wore them in about four ports.

Guest Anorak33

I am told HMCR operate kind of like a business - they want to show a profit and that means targeting passengers who have been somewhere where they are likely to have bought a decent quantity of dutiable goods - or have been where they could buy commercial quantities of drugs.

This would normally exclude Europe - which is in a free trade area with UK, and other places like Norway where everything is very expensive.

World Cruise and Transatlantics could be good pickings though.

And then there is the random factor of course....................

:cool: Hi everyone , Im a little worried about taking some of my more expensive items on holiday with me , I will be sailing from N.Y. on 4th Oct 2008 bound for Southampton .

No 1 : Flying from the UK to Newark airport , will customs

question me bringing expensive items into the U.S. for example : a Rolex watch , jewellry etc ?

No 2 : On arrival at Southampton , has anyone come up against

any problems with customs , ref import tax ?

Any of your thoughts on this matter would be gratefully appreciated , and no i`m not a Diamond smuggler , pity really because if I was I could afford this trip regulary !

Cheers ... :cool: :cool: :cool:

We've never been questioned about our rolex watche going through customs, either getting off the Cunard ships or off of a plane, on either side of the pond.

Sharon

Thanks guys for all your input , you raise some issues on the point of customs sometimes being at the Southampton side , This should not be a problem as I have the watches proper papers anyway . I think I will pop it into my hand luggage on the outward flight to Newark , on-board the ship as you rightfully say is not a problem .

Thanks again for your posts , and if anyone else would like to add their experiences please do ... :D:D:D

Guest Anorak33

Bear in mind you may only take one Rolex per person into the US:

"The Rolex trademark recordation with Customs indicates "Import of Goods Bearing Genuine Trademarks or Trade Names Restricted." This means that genuine Rolex products can only be imported with the permission of the trademark owner, Rolex Watch U.S.A. Inc. A private individual can hand carry one Rolex watch from a trip overseas without obtaining permission. Bring in more than one, and they will all be seized as a trademark violation."

Does this apply to visitors as well as US citizens? I don't know but I wouldn't want to risk it.

I am told HMCR operate kind of like a business - they want to show a profit and that means targeting passengers who have been somewhere where they are likely to have bought a decent quantity of dutiable goods - or have been where they could buy commercial quantities of drugs.

This would normally exclude Europe - which is in a free trade area with UK, and other places like Norway where everything is very expensive.

World Cruise and Transatlantics could be good pickings though.

And then there is the random factor of course....................

Your source may not be well informed. Many travellers from within the EC attempt to bring in duty and tax free goods. This policy is not exclusive, so is wider than drugs as you suggest.

It's wrong and misleading (particularly to non UK residents) to suggest that Europe is a 'free trade area within the UK'.

Travellers with receipts for their personal possesions are unlikely to have any UK Customs problems.

For some reason, they were greatly in evidence when we returned in May this year, and stopping quite a few people.

Mary

We had exactly the same experience in June, on a return from the Canary Islands.

They've never been there before.

Bear in mind you may only take one Rolex per person into the US:

"The Rolex trademark recordation with Customs indicates "Import of Goods Bearing Genuine Trademarks or Trade Names Restricted." This means that genuine Rolex products can only be imported with the permission of the trademark owner, Rolex Watch U.S.A. Inc. A private individual can hand carry one Rolex watch from a trip overseas without obtaining permission. Bring in more than one, and they will all be seized as a trademark violation."

Does this apply to visitors as well as US citizens? I don't know but I wouldn't want to risk it.

On my last trip I took three Rolex's and a Cartier. They're all registered to me at Rolex so how could that be a problem?

Glenn.

My advice would be don't take it. kepp it safe at home rather than risk an incident .

Reminds me of the bumper sticker "My other car's a Rolls." Take a Timex and tell people "My other watch is a Rolex."

Seriously, take your nice things and enjoy them! If you are worried about Customs issues, put your paperwork in your carry-on. If you have no paperwork, get a dated "insurance appraisal" from a local shop.

Bon voyage!

I am just wondering--why on earth would anyone need to take more than one Rolex watch with them on a cruise? How much do they cost these day anyway?:D

Do you take more than one necklace, pair of earrings, ring, etc? Is there any difference? They're all pieces of jewelry.

I am just wondering--why on earth would anyone need to take more than one Rolex watch with them on a cruise? How much do they cost these day anyway?:D
Perhaps they have watches that match different outfits. Perhaps one is silver and one is gold. Perhaps these watches are a hobby, and they enjoy collecting them and wearing them. Perhaps it's presumptuous of me to even try to answer the question, let alone ask it.

Andrew

I see your point. Well not quite. I try not to take my most expensive jewelry with me. And I don't wear a watch. But again, how much does the average Rolex watch cost? Maybe one could buy a silver and gold combo that goes with everything. And save a little money.:D

It seems to me that anyone with more than one watch has too much time on their hands.

J

Archived