Dunns River FAll

Tee Tee

Hey Me and 9 of my family members will be leaving on the imagination on Saturday and flying down to Miami on Friday and staying an extra day after we get off the cruise.

My first questions is does your hair get wet when you climb dunns river fall? Does the water cascade over you or can you avoid getting your hair wet?

My second question is where would be a good place in Miami to eat for dinner? Somewhere that is not fancy fancy but really nice and maybe unique to Miami or at least something we don't have in Arkansas.

Thanks in advance for the responses! You cruise critic members are the best!

Plan on your hair getting wet at Dunn's River Falls. You form a chain to climb the falls and some places are pretty slippery and steep so there is a good chance you will get your hair wet. I did this climb a couple of years ago and it was a blast. There is also a staircase along side the falls if there is some one in your group that does not want to climb it. Make sure you take a waterproof camera with you. You will get some great pics.

Sorry, can't help you with the food in Miami. I live on the other coast of Florida. Have a great cruise.

:( I hope your ship gets in Tee Tee. We were a tender port and it was too rough. We were so disappointed. We still have the shoes we bought to climb them, unused.

You did not miss anything except a bunch of agressive sales people. The falls are beautiful but since you are struggling to climb them you cannot even enjoy the beauty. I much prefered the tropical rain forrests and smaller water falls that they had in Dominica and Puerto Rico. Now THOSE were enjoyable excursions!

Hey Me and 9 of my family members will be leaving on the imagination on Saturday and flying down to Miami on Friday and staying an extra day after we get off the cruise.

My first questions is does your hair get wet when you climb dunns river fall? Does the water cascade over you or can you avoid getting your hair wet?

My second question is where would be a good place in Miami to eat for dinner? Somewhere that is not fancy fancy but really nice and maybe unique to Miami or at least something we don't have in Arkansas.

Thanks in advance for the responses! You cruise critic members are the best!

Wet hair definitely.

Miami landmark is Joe's Stone Crabs. A little pricey but probably something you don't see in Arkansas.

You did not miss anything except a bunch of agressive sales people. The falls are beautiful but since you are struggling to climb them you cannot even enjoy the beauty. I much prefered the tropical rain forrests and smaller water falls that they had in Dominica and Puerto Rico. Now THOSE were enjoyable excursions!

Do not go through where the vendors have set up when you leave- they're very aggressive. Our tour guide told us specifically not to go through there, or we would be late getting back to the bus. We had a great time- wear water shoes.

You will get wet, head to toe. Plan on it. That's part of the fun of the day! Also, I always suggest good water shoes not sandals. Too many times, my foot would slip off the rock, and I could only imagine breaking a strap if I'd worn sandals. Plenty of people wear them, and they'll say "go for it", but I'd rather not.

Yep.............you'll get wet. Make sure you take a waterproof camera...........your guide will carry it for you and take your picture.......

NOW.............one word of warning......as you leave, you will go through a path that is loaded with agressive vendors. We found a fun way to get around them. They assume you speak English, but as we headed through the area, my wife and I made up our own language. When they realized they couldn't communicate with us, they left us alone, and descended on the next poor folks walking through. It really was quite fun...........we just looked them in the eye and babbled some unknown tounge..............

Not sure if you'd like it or not, but close to the port is an area called Bayside Marketplace -- have you been there? They have a large variety of shops and food, nothing really fancy. They do have a Hard Rock Cafe and also a Bubba Gumps -- not in the "fancy" category, but you can get seafood or steak if you wish. It's a fun place to people watch, listen to good latin music, and walk around. It's fun both day and after dark.

Just a thought ...

Not sure if you'd like it or not, but close to the port is an area called Bayside Marketplace -- have you been there? They have a large variety of shops and food, nothing really fancy. They do have a Hard Rock Cafe and also a Bubba Gumps -- not in the "fancy" category, but you can get seafood or steak if you wish. It's a fun place to people watch, listen to good latin music, and walk around. It's fun both day and after dark.

Just a thought ...

Bayside has options, but why do a chain? There are a couple of small Cuban places in Bayside...

Someone mentioned Joe's .... stone crab is technically out of season so what you eat is either frozen or . And be warned Joe's is $$$

Miami....do Cuban! versailles is famous (and won't cost that much)

http://foodnatic.wordpress.com/2008/04/17/versailles-cuban-restaurant/

Or right across the street from Bayside is Gloria Est' place - Bongos

http://www.bongoscubancafe.com/miami/index_miami.html

a bit more $$ than Ver' and dead b4 9pm....or later

Or my fav's

Monty's in South Beach...eat outside while the kids play in the pool and watch the cruise ships leave

http://www.miamibeach411.com/Restaurants/montys.html

or

A Cuban fav with locals La Carreta

http://lacarreta.com/

IMO better than Vers' but not as famous...multiple locations (tip: there is one in the airport!!!)

oh, and: http://www.dunnsriverfallsja.com/

As others have said, you will get soaking wet climbing the falls. Be prepared.

As far as a restaurant, we like the Latin American Cafe at Bayside. Bubba Gumps was awful when we ate there this past April. Latin American Cafe has great Cuban style food (very Miami-like) and the pitchers of Sangria are wonderful. The food is plentiful, there is a lot of atmosphere since Bayside is right on the water (and you can walk around to all the little shops, there is usually a band playing outdoors, etc.), and the restaurant prices are extremely reasonable.

I'll be there with a bunch of girlfriends in a couple of weeks, and I can almost taste the Sangria!!!

PLan to get soaked- we wore swimsuits with shorts & tee over- wear water shoes or old tennies that you can dispose of! It will be fun. I'm glad we did it- plan to tip your guides- they are really working for it!

Do not go through where the vendors have set up when you leave- they're very aggressive. Our tour guide told us specifically not to go through there, or we would be late getting back to the bus. We had a great time- wear water shoes.

We didn't. Our guide also told us- but we still had trouble with the shop people when the bus took us to a shopping center strip. We could not look at anything without their very aggressively trying to convince us to buy the stuff. I ended up walking out- I may would have bought a tee shirt or something-if I had been allowed to look.

Once we bought our vanilla, coffee and rum, and all in ONE shop, we went back to the bus. I only mentioned this to the person from England because there are much nicer and more enjoyable carribean islands he could visit. My guess is- since he has to cross the Atlantic he may not go to the carribbean every year-he could find a cruise with better choices. there are lots of islands every bit as beautiful as Jamacia. I have no desire to EVER go back to Jamaica.

Don't know how you could climb all the way to the top of the Dunns falls there in Jamaica WITHOUT getting wet!:rolleyes: Don't know why you'd worry about that anyway.:confused: Jamaica is probably the most unconcerned place imaginable about personal appearances:cool: (outside of Florida, maybe) As for dining out in Miami....I recommend Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant in south Miami Beach. I don't think of it as being "fancy,fancy" but surely one of the most memorable and delicious places to eat in all of Florida. If you have never tried stone crab (or even if you have) they have the best stone crabs (and other sea food) to be found anywhere. I'm hungry for Joe's place just writing this! :D Enjoy!!!;)

For you folks who are following what's going on with fuel charges and other current happenings with cruise ships......What seens to be the current trends.:rolleyes:

We are all experiencing what food and fuel costs are doing, in general, to our economy.:eek: Is the cruise industry crunching at all?:confused: Are there really worthwhile deals out there or is it just the same ole hype about discounts that we have always heard?:confused: What are you finding???

For you folks who are following what's going on with fuel charges and other current happenings with cruise ships......What seens to be the current trends.:rolleyes:

We are all experiencing what food and fuel costs are doing, in general, to our economy.:eek: Is the cruise industry crunching at all?:confused: Are there really worthwhile deals out there or is it just the same ole hype about discounts that we have always heard?:confused: What are you finding???

Even with fuel sircharges the prices are less then pre 9-11.

We visited the falls on our third cruise. We did not actually "climb" them but we did use the stairs that run along beside the falls. There was access to the water from the stairs and we were able to get into the water to cool off and take some really great shots in front of the falls! (Our hair did not get wet at all.) Then we found our way to the bottom of the falls and laid on the beach for a while! I would also caution you about the vendors as you leave the falls. I have no problem saying NO THANK YOU and getting my point across but they surrounded my husband like a swarm of bees! He ended up with two of the most hideous wooden statues you've ever seen!

Don't know how you could climb all the way to the top of the Dunns falls there in Jamaica WITHOUT getting wet!:rolleyes: Don't know why you'd worry about that anyway.:confused: Jamaica is probably the most unconcerned place imaginable about personal appearances:cool:

I don't understand why you or anyone else would be concerned about my worries. I simply asked if I would get my hair wet so that I could be prepared. I happen to be a Black women that pays a lot of money to get my hair styled as it is not that easy to just wash it and have it look good. The way people feel in Jamaica is also not a concern of mine but more how I look at dinner and during other parts of my cruise.

I would also like to mention that I had an excellent cruise and an excellent time climbing the falls without getting my hair wet. I also climbed with 4 other women who did not get there hair wet either. It is pretty easy to not get your hair wet as long as you don't lie back on the rocks on jump into the water.

I would like to thank everyone for all their comments and suggestions. I had a great time climbing the falls and we ate at Table 8 in South Beach. It was a great experience.

Archived