shareholders OBC

Hinda

thank you so much kathy...we get our statement at the end of the month and will then apply for the OBC...we are doing three cruises between now and next october...so it is a real saving...just as long as they allow it...will post here when we hear back...

I verified with my TA today that I had the shareholder credit on my acct and I just booked last week on newest deal of a $150 OBC & pp gratuities - hopefully this works for others.

Kathy, I'm glad it worked out for you. I wasn't able to convince AZ to honor what their own employee said, but they are making me whole in a different fashion, so if they actually come through I'll be satisfied. Not that I'm a cynic or anything!:rolleyes:

I verified with my TA today that I had the shareholder credit on my acct and I just booked last week on newest deal of a $150 OBC & pp gratuities - hopefully this works for others.

Glad to pass on the info Sue - as much as it seems you guys cruise it's a good deal and given the current price of the stock (much lower than I paid!!!) it's an even better deal. I'm holding it for the long term so I'm not to influence but the current price.

Have a great cruise or several - glad to provide helpful info.

Kathy

For my IRA I buy long term too because I started it rather young. I have a couple high tech, real low cost things in there too and one may just pay off. If it does I will be thrilled. It will mean fewer people with paralysis from spinal cord injuries (I could barely watch the BMX races today on the Olympics); strokes, MS, etc and from, for me, difficult to understand protein proceses and not the more controversial cells. Of course it's balanced with several blue chips. I was just thinking that the SBC can't be taxed in anyway I know of unless it's considered a dividend. Am I dreaming or has the IRS missed something finally? :-)

Thanks to all of you who told me about the onboard shareholders credit. My husband and I are booked on the 14-day Azamara Holyland cruise. Several days ago we bought 100 shares of RCL. This morning I faxed my information to RCL shareholder relations, and this afternoon I received an email that the $250 onboard credit had been posted to our account. It was simple and painless. Thank you to RCL customer relations.

Glad it has worked out for everyone - it is a nice perk and we've been able to use the benefit several times. Haven't quite paid of the cost of the stock but it's nice to have and you can do it with Celebrity, Royal Caribbean & Azamara.

Happy Cruising.

Kathy

Hello

I had just asked about this in another forum untill i located this one. I just asked my travel agent to check into the same Shareholder credit. I never heard of such a thing, anyone who owns RCL stock can tell you its tanked as of lately, i would need a serious OBC. I would need about 10 more 14 day trips just to get back what ive lost and now they arent going to honor on all trips, i just cant believe this is happening. Since when did this Wow factor come about, well iam stuck with the stock for now, i was hoping the credit will help, ill still try if i end up booking in Apr09.

Thanks

Eric

I bought the stock at $41 and having used it on RCL and X I figure I'm at $37 per share. I got the $250 credit on my Azamara Asia sailing which will bring it down to $34.50 a share. I guess the best way to get it down to "paid for itself" is to cruise more often. I've read where RCL has to approve the perk each year so it's not an indefinate perk.

This is off the RCL shareholders benefit website:

8.Are there any restrictions?Offer is non-transferable and not available to employees, or agents of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators.Offer is not combinable with any special fare programs, including, but not limited to, staterooms purchased with tour conductor credits, interline rates, complimentary cruises or cruises onboard chartered sailings. The Shareholder must own the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. stock at time of sailing. Onboard credit is calculated in US dollars except on sailings where the onboard currency used is a foreign currency (in which case the onboard credit will be converted at a currency exchange rate determined by the cruise line) and is not redeemable for cash. Certificate value credited to onboard account at time of sailing. Any unused credit shall be forfeited. Credit is applied on a per stateroom basis; double occupancy. Single guests paying 200% of applicable fare shall receive full value of certificate. Only one shareholder credit per stateroom. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing. Other terms and conditions may apply.

This shows that cruises purchased with any special fare programs are not eligible. This is understood over at the RCCL and Celebrity forums, I don't know why not here?

The reason this was not understood is that this page on shareholders credits has been changed since the first posting. On other cruises in the past this was never a problem. I was always able to combine credits!!!!!!!!

This is off the RCL shareholders benefit website:

Offer is not combinable with any special fare programs, including, but not limited to, staterooms purchased with tour conductor credits, interline rates, complimentary cruises or cruises onboard chartered sailings.

This shows that cruises purchased with any special fare programs are not eligible. This is understood over at the RCCL and Celebrity forums, I don't know why not here?

A "special fare" program is normally a deeply discounted fare. For example, a travel agent can sail for $50/night on a cruise that might cost a consumer $100/night or more for a comparable cabin. Historically it has not included booking on incentive programs that include OBC or prepaid gratutities. "Wow" cruises are sometimes included in that category.

RCCL (parent comapny) has apparently started expanding their definition of "special fare" and it's the AZ clients who were hit with it first. Given how much more expensive it is to cruise on AZ than either RCL or Celebrity, it's a bit annoying to have them yank an (up to) $250 perk, and strikes me as penny wise and pound foolish.

A "special fare" program is normally a deeply discounted fare. For example, a travel agent can sail for $50/night on a cruise that might cost a consumer $100/night or more for a comparable cabin. Historically it has not included booking on incentive programs that include OBC or prepaid gratutities. "Wow" cruises are sometimes included in that category.

RCCL (parent comapny) has apparently started expanding their definition of "special fare" and it's the AZ clients who were hit with it first. Given how much more expensive it is to cruise on AZ than either RCL or Celebrity, it's a bit annoying to have them yank an (up to) $250 perk, and strikes me as penny wise and pound foolish.

Hi Critterchick !

I agree. As early as a couple of years ago, there was NEVER a problem in getting the Shareholder credits. These days, while most of the time its not a problem, it does seem that any sort of special sale or promotion is being used as an excuse to deny the Shareholder credit. Personally, I feel its a very bad decision, and will no doubt annoy passengers before they sail, and may even get some passengers so ticked off that they might cancel, and sail elsewhere. Frankly, It's hard for me to understand why Azamara would want to take that chance.

I can totally understand this sort of attitude on RCL, where cruises sometimes go for 599 per person, but as most sailings are in the very high price range on Azamara, this should be the line that they are the most lenient with, not the toughest.

With that said, the best advice I can give you, is to be persistent, and in most cases, you can get the Credit.

• 10 months later...

Well 2 months before sailing and after making final payment I called to again verify that my shareholder credit was on my reservation - guess what it's NOT!!!! I am not happy about this at all. I have emailed them using the original email I received in Aug '08 from LInda Buchanan confirming that the shareholder credit had been applied. This makes no sense to me - why did it change? The new rules were suppose to start on 1/1/09?

NOT A GREAT WAY TO START THIS CRUISE!!!! I too bought the stock when it was high and have watched it tank. I understand that they changed their policy and have acted accordingly when thinking about booking a future cruise but to have something that was confirmed in an email change without being notified of the change is not a nice way to do business. At least they could have notified me that they were making a change on my booking and I would have been able to think about it.

I'd like to hear from others that had posted earlier on this thread about how there situations worked out - Critterchick?

I have emailed them again but I don't think they really care - it's just the standard "canned" response. We will still enjoy this cruise but I must say in todays market there are other choices out there and I'll be looking at them for future trips.

Kathy

Well 2 months before sailing and after making final payment I called to again verify that my shareholder credit was on my reservation - guess what it's NOT!!!! I am not happy about this at all. I have emailed them using the original email I received in Aug '08 from LInda Buchanan confirming that the shareholder credit had been applied. This makes no sense to me - why did it change? The new rules were suppose to start on 1/1/09?

NOT A GREAT WAY TO START THIS CRUISE!!!! I too bought the stock when it was high and have watched it tank. I understand that they changed their policy and have acted accordingly when thinking about booking a future cruise but to have something that was confirmed in an email change without being notified of the change is not a nice way to do business. At least they could have notified me that they were making a change on my booking and I would have been able to think about it.

I'd like to hear from others that had posted earlier on this thread about how there situations worked out - Critterchick?

I have emailed them again but I don't think they really care - it's just the standard "canned" response. We will still enjoy this cruise but I must say in todays market there are other choices out there and I'll be looking at them for future trips.

Kathy

Have you emailed Linda Buchanan again to ask why it was removed? She is responsible for the posting, not anybody in customer service. It seems to me that if it has been confirmed previously, that's a commitment that RCL needs to live up to. Of course, good luck getting them to agree with me.

If she refuses to honor the prior commitment, call the reservations number and ask to be connected to the resolutions department. That's who I spoke with when I had my orignal dispute over the credit. The people in that department have the authority to make those decisions - the rank & file customer service representatives have no such authority and no inclination to connect you if you don't ask them to.

As of January 1, the rules on combining the shareholder credit have been enforced pretty consistently, but as I understand it (and as is posted on the website), it only applies to cruises booked after that date.

I did get my OBC on Quest in May, as promised. Good luck to you!

Thanks Jean - I will give them a call. My original email was with Linda this reply was not from her it was from some "dept" who could care less.

For me it's not the money - it's the principle of the matter and it was confirmed and then taken away - makes no sense. I'm sure we will have a great cruise but this leaves a sour taste for me with RCCL and booking a future cruise with them - we've sailed them exclusively for years and with all the changes happening and deals on other cruiselines like Crystal, Oceania & Regent we may be looking elsewhere in the future.

Kathy

As of January 1, the rules on combining the shareholder credit have been enforced pretty consistently, but as I understand it (and as is posted on the website), it only applies to cruises booked after that date.

Just to clarify, though it doesn't apply in SkiCruiser's situation, that the non-combinability applies not just to bookings made Jan 1 or later, but to any booking made prior to that date but which didn't have the credit applied by December 31, 2008.

Thanks Jean - I will give them a call. My original email was with Linda this reply was not from her it was from some "dept" who could care less.

For me it's not the money - it's the principle of the matter and it was confirmed and then taken away - makes no sense. I'm sure we will have a great cruise but this leaves a sour taste for me with RCCL and booking a future cruise with them - we've sailed them exclusively for years and with all the changes happening and deals on other cruiselines like Crystal, Oceania & Regent we may be looking elsewhere in the future.

Kathy

just bring your original email from them, where they applied the OBC and insist that it be honoured...

just bring your original email from them, where they applied the OBC and insist that it be honoured...

Hi Amanda & Ski Cruiser !

I wouldnt wait to do it onboard. Much too much of your valuable Cruise will be wasted. I would tackle the problem now.

I would fax or email the original confirmation back to the Shareholder Benefits department, and tell them you previously had it approved, and you request it to be honored. At the very least, I would want an explanation on why a previously approved Credit is not being honored. Something doesnt sound right.

Ski Cruiser : Please let us know if it gets worked out. Good Luck !

Thanks for the responses - I replied to the email I received yesterday and didn't hear anything back today - it was from Linda (supposedly). I will make a call tomorrow and try to get this resolved - I won't wait until I'm on the ship - I want to be in the right mindset when we board the ship.

Again it's frustrating to have to deal with things like this - adjusting expectations downwards isn't what I would have expected from Azamara after reading all of the wonderful reports on Cruise Critic.

I'll post when I find out more.

Kathy

Just wanted to post that they credit has now been applied. Thanks Jean for telling me to contact the resolution dept - they were able to fix it for me.

Again it wasn't the money it was the principle and everyone I spoke with was very helpful.

I'm one happy cruiser and can't wait till we sail.

Kathy

Archived