Dry Dock for Voyager

Chris, I am on that cruise, too. It looks like we will be treated to new soft goods in the rooms and public areas, and a lot of the public areas will be redone. I'm expecting things to be in great shape, as I loved the ship already last year.

We are scheduled to sail on Dec 18th. Any concerns about being on the first cruise after dry dock?

thanks

Be prepared!

My December 2006 cruise on Voyager was cancelled after the dry dock and we were not even the first cruise to follow it.

I remember that! We were on Navigator at the same time, and we "inherited" some of Voyager's passengers. But that was an extraordinary event, something mechanical that could not be fixed on time.

Navigator had just had its soft refit as well, and everything was spiffy and sparkling, albeit they were still sweeping up and installing lights when we boarded.

I remember that! We were on Navigator at the same time, and we "inherited" some of Voyager's passengers. But that was an extraordinary event, something mechanical that could not be fixed on time.

Yes. We were going to wave at each other, me from Voyager and you from Navigator. Nothing Regent offered could compensate for missing that! ;)

If that happened, that would be beyond upsetting since this is the Christmas cruise, and this would be a huge financial loss to them. There are a lot of ports on the itinerary, but some of the times in port are quite short. We have been to St. Lucia many times, and hubby wants to play golf at Sandals, so I hope we are actually there long enough. He did that last time and finished quickly, but Silversea stayed all day, whereas Regent is staying like from 1:30 to 6:00 or something.

We have not been to St. Kitts and Bonaire, so I am looking forward to those.

Hate to sound like a gloom and doomer, but if you are boarding any ship immediately after dry dock you need to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. Some of the worst cruise horror stories we have read on the boards involve cruises immediately before and after dry dock. In one case, the crew started tearing up stuff two days before arriving at the dry dock. The pool deck was closed. Another, on Seabourn no less, they pulled away from the dry dock while they were still putting the ship back together. The posts regarding that cruise were horrific.

We were on Voyager Rome/FtL immediately before she went into drydock in Nov 06. A team of decorators/carpet layers came on board in Funchal, and lots of cases were lashed to the deck when we were on the Med. part of the cruise, presumably destined for drydock us. When we arrived in FtL it was mayhem. They loaded allthe new mattresses - 650+ of them - before we could disembark. We had to thread our way between them!! Then they headed off to the Bahamas for the drydock. I heard later that the enormous (2 week) overrun on the drydock time was because electrical parts for the pods had to come from Europe - and most likely had to be manufactured and sent. What a headache for Regent and heartache for those whose cruises were cancelled.

Now - a VERY important question! We are on Navigator, May 1 FtL to Monte Carlo. I have been trying to find out what is happening to the ship immediately prior since there is a two week gap in the cruise itineraries and it seems a bit long for charters. Anyone know??

Archived