Just Back - Brilliance, July 16th 12nt Venice

A review is in the works and has been submitted, . . . will post the link here in the next day or to when it is posted. Until then, I would be happy to answer any question you might have.

Quick Summary: Wow, what a fantastic cruise!!!!

Who was the Cruise Director?

CD: Bill Brunkhorst

Captain: Hernan Zini - he is excellent by the way. Always visible, informative. Came to the M&M and introduced himself personally to each of us (of course, there was only a dozen or so). :)

A review is in the works and has been submitted, . . . will post the link here in the next day or to when it is posted. Until then, I would be happy to answer any question you might have.

We are trying to decide whether to book this cruise or not, but are concerned over the money rate - did you do ship tours / private tours and can you give me a good estimate of cost per port. What I have seen so far I am afraid even being careful it will cost a couple around $600 PLUS per port. I would appreciate any feedback - thanks!

We are trying to decide whether to book this cruise or not, but are concerned over the money rate - did you do ship tours / private tours and can you give me a good estimate of cost per port. What I have seen so far I am afraid even being careful it will cost a couple around $600 PLUS per port. I would appreciate any feedback - thanks!

Will try to help. We actually booked this cruise (instead of land based) because of the money rate. All charges on board were in USD. Euro expenses were limited to on shore purchases, private tours, and pre/post stay.

We did a combination of 1 ship tour, 3 private group tours, and 3 own our own. Generally, if you group up with others on the roll call (~8 pax), the private tours are more efficient then the ship's tours. Here are some examples of the private tour costs, you can compare to the offerings from RCCL.

Livorno (group of 8): Drive to Pisa, 30 minutes. Drive to Florance, overview for pictures, stop in a square (forget name) shopping/pictures, Accedamia Museum (14 euro - David), old town (shopping/lunch), and Uffizi (14 euro). Cost pp: ~75 euro (not including museum entry).

Naples (group of 8): Drive to Pompeii (2 hr private tour guide, 14 euro entry), drive to Sorrento old town (shopping/lunch on your own), drive to Positano.

Cost pp: ~ 88 euro (private tour in Pompeii added 100 euro total to bill).

Roma (group of 8): Drive to Rome, stop at St. Paul church, another church, Roman ruins (many stops), lunch, Vatican (private tour guide for museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters basilica, plus 14 euro entry).

Cost pp: ~ 95 euro (private tour at Vatican added 120 euro to bill).

So, . . . roughly $120 to $150 USD (plus museum fees) for the tours. All this said, . . . these private tours are van based. They drive right to the site. The cruise tours are coach based and there is a lot of walking from site to site. Very likely you get to see more on the private tours because of this. Although you can do these 3 areas on your own, it is not really practical. That said, you can and many people do it - the cost is likely not being able to do as much in the same time period. The wait line at some sites are huge. Private and cruise tours both can avoid the lines. Your private driver knows where to go, speaks English, and gives you 'a tour' along the way.

The one tour we did with RCCL (Villefranche - 1/2 day to Nice/Eze - $52pp), it would have been much easier and cheaper to do on our own in hindsight (train, bus, taxi to Nice, Eze, and possibly Monte Carlo). Venice, Dubrovnik and Barcelona were all on our own - very easy.

Hope this helps!

The one tour we did with RCCL (Villefranche - 1/2 day to Nice/Eze - $52pp), it would have been much easier and cheaper to do on our own in hindsight (train, bus, taxi to Nice, Eze, and possibly Monte Carlo). Venice, Dubrovnik and Barcelona were all on our own - very easy.

Hope this helps!

On the Nice/Eze tour, how much free time did you have in each area?

NMG222

Welcome Back!! I will be going in October..78 days to go:)

My hubby and I would like to tour the ports of call on our own. Can you give us any advise on how to travel by train/bus? Our ports of calls are Cannes, Florence, Naples, Rome, Venice (2 days), Split, Croatia and Malta. We welcome any input.;)

Will try to help. We actually booked this cruise (instead of land based) because of the money rate. All charges on board were in USD. Euro expenses were limited to on shore purchases, private tours, and pre/post stay.

We did a combination of 1 ship tour, 3 private group tours, and 3 own our own. Generally, if you group up with others on the roll call (~8 pax), the private tours are more efficient then the ship's tours. Here are some examples of the private tour costs, you can compare to the offerings from RCCL.

Livorno (group of 8): Drive to Pisa, 30 minutes. Drive to Florance, overview for pictures, stop in a square (forget name) shopping/pictures, Accedamia Museum (14 euro - David), old town (shopping/lunch), and Uffizi (14 euro). Cost pp: ~75 euro (not including museum entry).

Naples (group of 8): Drive to Pompeii (2 hr private tour guide, 14 euro entry), drive to Sorrento old town (shopping/lunch on your own), drive to Positano.

Cost pp: ~ 88 euro (private tour in Pompeii added 100 euro total to bill).

Roma (group of 8): Drive to Rome, stop at St. Paul church, another church, Roman ruins (many stops), lunch, Vatican (private tour guide for museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters basilica, plus 14 euro entry).

Cost pp: ~ 95 euro (private tour at Vatican added 120 euro to bill).

So, . . . roughly $120 to $150 USD (plus museum fees) for the tours. All this said, . . . these private tours are van based. They drive right to the site. The cruise tours are coach based and there is a lot of walking from site to site. Very likely you get to see more on the private tours because of this. Although you can do these 3 areas on your own, it is not really practical. That said, you can and many people do it - the cost is likely not being able to do as much in the same time period. The wait line at some sites are huge. Private and cruise tours both can avoid the lines. Your private driver knows where to go, speaks English, and gives you 'a tour' along the way.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the information. :)

We've done 2 trips to Europe and I resurrected the reviews. We did a lot of the ports on our own.

This review is Venice to Barcelona on the Celebrity Millenium

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=16755 On this cruise we did Venice, Dubrovnik, Santorini, Rome, and Villefrance on our own.

This review is Southampton to Barcelona on the Brilliance in May.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43756 On this cruise we did Eze & Nice on our own and had a fabulous day for less than $10. (The other ports will not be on your itinerary).

I also included our budget at the end.

On the Nice/Eze tour, how much free time did you have in each area?

NMG222

Approximately 1 hour at each stop. In Nice, we also spent about 30 minutes on a 'tour' around the city on the coach before we stopped in old town. The guide got off the coach with us, spent the first 10 minutes walking with us and providing insight on where we were. Then we were free. We could cross the street to the beach, shop, have lunch, whatever. In Eze, they stopped at a parking lot near the foot of the hill of the 'castle'. We needed to walk up a bit to get into the old town. Time enough get up, walk around, do some shopping and not much else. Total tour was about 4 hours.

We've done 2 trips to Europe and I resurrected the reviews. We did a lot of the ports on our own.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=16755 On this cruise we did Venice, Dubrovnik, Santorini, Rome, and Villefrance on our own.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43756 On this cruise we did Eze & Nice on our own and had a fabulous day for less than $10. (The other ports will not be on your itinerary).

Thanks for the links; there were several helpful pieces of information.

I am so glad to hear from you as we are going on the same cruise in October. I will anxiously await your review. I am hoping to take private tours in Pisa/Florence as well as Rome and Amalfi Coast but so far have not found anyone on our cruise to commit to join. Was there any problem getting back to the ship on time and what private tour companies did you use? Did you find the first few days exhausting? That is why I think the private tours would be more enjoyable- not as much down time waiting- you can move on if you've seen enough. Hope to hear more.

I will write again if I think of more questions. Thanks again.

Thank you so much for this information. Very helpful.

I cruised to Venice in May, if you would like to see my photos here is the link:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/VeniceCruiseMay2008

Photos of Rome, Dubrovnik, Split, Corfu, Cephalonia , Gibralter

Not on RCI though, P&O, but interesting for shots of ports :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link. Really nice pics.:)

Wasn't it great sailing down the Grand Canal?

In fact you would have sailed down the Giudecca Canal. The Grand canal is the one with the bridges over it that splits the main island of venice in two. The cruise ships come out of the port into the Giudecca canal that separates the main island of venice from the island of Giudecca.

A new Hilton hotel was opened on Giudecca last year, that was converted from a 19th century flour mill. On the 8th floor is a rooftop swimming pool that has a commanding view over the city. It is amazing to be swimming in it and watch the big cruise ships sail past and look down upon you.

Given a choice..........would you prefer to do it via a cruise or a land tour. Your opinion would be appreciated. We are on the fence with that.

Do not include exchange rate as a reason please.

Given a choice..........would you prefer to do it via a cruise or a land tour. Your opinion would be appreciated. We are on the fence with that.

Do not include exchange rate as a reason please.

This is really a personal choice.

For us, for a taste of an area with lots of potential areas to visit that are spread out, my wife and I enjoy doing it via a cruise. It gives you a day (or two) in each area to get a very good touring day. Then, back to the ship and on to the next area, . . . with dinner, activities, and entertainment along the way. No packing/unpacking either.

On a land tour (on your own) you can do a deeper dive in a given area and are not required to be back (at port) at a certain point. You could even shift the itinerary if you found 'the place'. So there are some advantages. That said, when it is time to move on to the next area, you need to pack, get to the transportation point (or drive), then to the new hotel and unpack. That consumes some of the trip time (where on a cruise, you are enjoying the ship, actvities [and really - your vacation]).

As for a organized land tour, . . . don't think we would ever do one unless we really wanted to visit an area that was completely land locked. Sailing is a wonderful way to get from point A to B and there is always something to do for everyone during the sail. This may not be true during a bus ride.

Our first time ever in Hawaii was on a cruise and we loved it. Got to all 4 of the major islands and got this taste. We have since been back on our favorite island on a long duration land vacation.

So, . . . along these lines, we are happy we went with the cruise for this trip and frankly, would do this again (so much more to see). Of course, this is our opinion. :)

Archived