What Digital Camera Do You Use?

Sandytoes

xyxthumbs.gif

Thank you all for your great input.

I am still looking for a practical camera that's easy to use and has a waterproof casing. We're big snorkelers.

I recently purchased the Digital Hero 3 wrist camera but wasn't pleased with the results.

Underwater pictures were green.

Did take nice videos.

I agree DSLR's are the way to go, unfortunately I would prefer a compact camera. For the size & weight - easier to carry around.

It seems to me that the majority are using Cannon.

Thanks Again!!! :)

Just picked up an Olympus stylus 1030. Waterproof to 33'. I'll post my results after our next two upcoming cruises on how it does snorkeling. In the past I've used a Canon WP-1 35 mm. I've been digital with everything else for quite a while, but had never really found an underwater that was both affordable and performed well. We'll see......

Been quite pleased with my other Olympus equipment. Hope this performs well, too.

(I know the Canon isn't really "listed" for underwater use, but it did work down to 12' or so. No leaks.)

I upgraded to a Nikon D80 two years ago and I am VERY pleased with the camera. I have had three different Canon point and shoots and after using this Nikon DSLR I would never go back. I just wish that I could move up to the Nikon D90 since it will also do video.

If you take alot of pictures it would be worth the money to move up to one of the DSLR's.

Dave

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Absolutely breath-taking!

Crystal clear! Colors are vivid!

Probably taken with your DSLR - right?

One drawback that I noticed on the Olympus is that it doesn't have a LCD Screen.

The Olympus does have a LCD Screen. Mine is 2.5 inch. The newer ones might be larger. Good luck with your camera shopping:D

Now you can compose, view and share your images even in direct sunlight. The large, high-resolution LCD features a wider viewing angle (140 degrees, left to right or up and down) and anti-glare technology that uses natural light to brighten the LCD.

Just picked up an Olympus stylus 1030. Waterproof to 33'. I'll post my results after our next two upcoming cruises on how it does snorkeling. In the past I've used a Canon WP-1 35 mm. I've been digital with everything else for quite a while, but had never really found an underwater that was both affordable and performed well. We'll see......

Can't wait to see your pictures...Have fun with the new camera.

Can't wait to see your photos. :)

Let us know how you liked using it. Ease of use, etc.

The Olympus Stylus 1030 SW sounds like a great camera for an active and adventurous person.

transparent.gif

You don't have to leave your digital camera behind now when going snorkeling, scuba diving, spending a day at the beach or in the pool. Interior rubber gaskets and O-ring seals allow the Stylus 1030 SW to be fully submerged to down to 10 metres (33 feet) underwater. Four preset Underwater Scene Modes automate exposure. Record movies with the underwater movie mode. The lens features a water-repellant coating to prevent water droplets from forming on the lens when you step out of the water.

The airtight construction makes the Stylus 1030 SW impervious to dust, dirt and other particles: ideal for recording images in dusty and sandy environments. When the camera gets dirty, just rinse it off.

olympus-stylus-1030sw-ba-450.jpg

(This shot almost looks like the Oasis)

Here is a strap that floats...I'm going to order one for my olympus.

http://www.chisco.com/chisco-products/cool-products/30046.html

I bought one too. Different brand, but I like the idea of being tethered to it. Cheap insurance! I dropped a HP point and shoot a few years ago trying to take photos of alligators. They ALMOST had the camera! I got lucky and the strap caught on a board of the footbridge we were on. A little spooky getting back, too. I was a little leery reaching down to get it with two alligators looking at me :eek:

Can't wait to see your photos. :)

Let us know how you liked using it. Ease of use, etc.

The Olympus Stylus 1030 SW sounds like a great camera for an active and adventurous person.

transparent.gif

I also bought a new, more upscale, snorkle and mask. Need to try them (as well as the camera) before our upcoming cruises! the river here is way too cold now (41 degrees), so I'll have to check with the local YMCA to see if it would be permitted to take a few hours to get everything "set". I don't want anyone to think there is a pervert in the pool with a camera! :eek:

I also bought a new, more upscale, snorkle and mask. Need to try them (as well as the camera) before our upcoming cruises! the river here is way too cold now (41 degrees), so I'll have to check with the local YMCA to see if it would be permitted to take a few hours to get everything "set". I don't want anyone to think there is a pervert in the pool with a camera! :eek:

Why waste gas?

Do what others have done

SnorkelTub2.jpgIE023-039.jpg

:D

Smart of you to try it out ahead of time.

A few yrs back,

I bought a really nice snorkel set.

As I began fitting the mask to my head

I realized the ocean current took my snorkel. :(

I wrote the company and explained what happened.

Surprisingly, they replaced it. :)

Why waste gas?

Do what others have done

Smart of you to try it out ahead of time.

A few yrs back,

I bought a really nice snorkel set.

As I began fitting the mask to my head

I realized the ocean current took my snorkel.

I wrote the company and explained what happened.

Surprisingly, they replaced it.

Wife and I just had the discussion about using our Jacuzzi tub for the mask fit. Then came the discussion about what to photograph......From there it went downhill fast :D

she thenn suggested we spend a weekend at a local hotel to use their pool. I had great visions ;) until she mentioned we could take the grandkids, too. :(..............Oh well, at least I'll get to use the pool.................

• 3 months later...

I am a big advocate of DSLR's do to the flexibility of being able to change lenses. It isn't important to me to put the camera in your pocket. Good pictures are VERY important to me.

I use the Nikon D50 and use two different lenses with this camera. I use the 18-250 Tamron lens and the 11-16 mm Tokina with the 2.8 aperature. I plan on upgrading to a D300 early next year.

The lens is more important than the camera itself.

Canon Powershot S3IS.

Pros: the best in its class when it came out,uses AA batteries,full manual control,tilt&twist LCD display and class leading video performance for a camera.

Cons: small LCD display(only 1.8"), 400 ISO needs needs good post processing noise reduction software,800 ISO & above is useless and a little on the bulky and heavy side regarding size.Overall still pleased with it.

The issues with noise at 400 ISO and above is common to all P&S cameras.When are the manufactures going to stop the megapixel race and realize you can only stuff so many megapixels into a sensor before having to resort to heavy handed and picture destroying noise reduction processing ? :(

I use a Cannon 30D. 18x55 regular lens plus a 10x22 and a 300mm telephoto zoom.

Bob

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

The best camera is the one you have with you.

That being said I have many but favs are Nikon D700 with big lenses when I am really serious, Nikon D90 when I want to go lighter. When I just need a pocket cam Nikon P6000, Canon G9 or slim Sony T300.

Canon Powershot S3IS.

Pros: the best in its class when it came out,uses AA batteries,full manual control,tilt&twist LCD display and class leading video performance for a camera.

Cons: small LCD display(only 1.8"), 400 ISO needs needs good post processing noise reduction software,800 ISO & above is useless and a little on the bulky and heavy side regarding size.Overall still pleased with it.

The issues with noise at 400 ISO and above is common to all P&S cameras.When are the manufactures going to stop the megapixel race and realize you can only stuff so many megapixels into a sensor before having to resort to heavy handed and picture destroying noise reduction processing ? :(

I love that camera. I just upgraded to a DSLR but am still holding on to the S3 IS it is an extremely capable camera, it is what i used to learn all of the manual controls that has prepared me for using a DSLR.

I use an Olympus E-20n, an older professional DSLR camera originally sold for $2000.00.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/e20n.html

sup_714.jpg

I have had it now for about 6-7 months and I am still learning to use it. Heads above other DSLR cameras in picture quality. It's a fixed 62mm lens but has a plethora of accessories available. Olympus quality at it 's best, the feel and quality we no longer seen in today's DSLR's. Partnered with a Olympus FL-40 flash attachment provides superb flash photography. The only drawback is the recycle time is about eight seconds, but I will sacrifice that for the quality. And the best thing is you can find them at the fraction of their original cost.

Mark.

I use an Olympus E-20n, an older professional DSLR camera originally sold for $2000.00.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_reviews/e20n.html

sup_714.jpg

I have had it now for about 6-7 months and I am still learning to use it. Heads above other DSLR cameras in picture quality. It's a fixed 62mm lens but has a plethora of accessories available. Olympus quality at it 's best, the feel and quality we no longer seen in today's DSLR's. Partnered with a Olympus FL-40 flash attachment provides superb flash photography. The only drawback is the recycle time is about eight seconds, but I will sacrifice that for the quality. And the best thing is you can find them at the fraction of their original cost.

Mark.

Not to quibble, but while the E-20 is by definition a DSLR that uses an optical viewfinder and reflex mirror, it is actually a 5 MP all-in one with a non-interchangeable 35mm-140mm zoom (just wanted to point that out for readers new to photography). Introduced in late 2001, it was and still is a great camera. Its image quality is excellent (remarkable, actually) for it's class and era, but I might have to question placing it "Heads above other DSLR cameras in picture quality"! There have been a few advances over the years. ;)

Enjoy your new camera!

Happy shooting!

Dave

I've read that dSLR's have the best image quality, however I don't want to lug a big camera around.

It would probably end up in a drawer or case and never used.

More interested in a Compact.

One that can be carried in a purse.

So if any one can recommend a Good Compact Camera, I appreciate that.

The best camera is the one you carry with you.

That being said best in terms of quality for a pocketable camera that gets close to DSLR quality as of right now I would say Canon G10, Nikon P6000 and Panasonic Lumix LX3. They are about $400 now give or take per camera.

There are lots of great cameras available these days you almost can't go wrong.

Try to see the camera and hold it look at the screen to help determine what is best for you.

I've read that dSLR's have the best image quality, however I don't want to lug a big camera around.

It would probably end up in a drawer or case and never used.

More interested in a Compact.

One that can be carried in a purse.

So if any one can recommend a Good Compact Camera, I appreciate that.

Archived