Scenic Tours!

orchestrapal

well "Andrew?" was going to post from the ship...or so I thought...maybe he didnt make it!! :( I have been checking here every morning to see if there is any news....in the meantime my saga with Scenic continues. When I first booked, the advertised "deal" in Australia, included a "free" 2 night stopover in Bangkok...however the TA told me that as we were flying Business Class, we didnt qualify for the freebie! :confused: Soooooo we still wanted a stopover to break a very long flight, so chose a hotel and told the TA to book it with a late checkout on the last day....no problems, that was done, and we paid for it.......our flight out of Bangkok doesnt leave until midnight, so a normal checkout is useless. Two days ago we get told by TA #2 that we DO qualify for the freebie (TA #1 has gone!) however we have to use a different hotel....ok we go for the freebie...not as good a hotel, and not as central....but free! Now about our late check out? Well the saga continues on that one........more news as it comes to hand.......I would have thought Scenic would have prefered more "positive" reports as they enter into the cruise business! :rolleyes:

GrannyLorr

When I booked our Paris to Prague & Jewels of Europe cruise for March 09 a couple of months ago I thought that I'd take advantage of the free Asian stopover and asked my TA to book the flights accordingly. When he booked with Scenic he told us that they had advised that we weren't actually eligible for the free stopover because we didn't have land content of more than 7 days(?) However, I noticed that the 'Earlybird' advertising lately doesn't seem to have that 'restriction'. I'm not sure if it was just an excuse, but we're having 3 nights instead of 2 in Hong Kong and staying where we want to (at our cost of course) ... so I'm not too worried. I'm really hanging out for some Scenic river cruise reviews though ... bring it on.

cheers

sandra

seems they change the rules more often than their undies!! :eek: Still havent heard any more about our stopover but was told that Scenic think we would have to pay a full nights tariff for a late check out....if that is the case we will go back to the hotel we have already paid for....the flights are horrendous....wont fall for one of these so called "special deals" again.....:(

Orchestrapal,

Now I can definitely confirm that both the SCENIC EMERALD and the SCENIC SAPPHIRE are cruising! The EMERALD has been in Regensburg on Sunday (decorated for the christening). The SAPPHIRE is in Regensburg today.

steamboats

thanks for the update Steamboats ... you are the 'eyes and ears of Europe' for those of us on the other side of the world ... I enjoy reading all of your 'on the spot' posts. keep up the good work, cheers ;) sandra

Hi Grannylorr,

Maybe we need to get a Brissy support group together to sort out our scenic dramas.

I hope the trip will be worth the dramas!!

I am keeping my fingers crossed all will go well.

Did you get your business class flights out from Brisbane?

Thanks

Hi newnanna,yes we got our business class flights out of Brisbane, but not at the "advertised special price" we had to pay extra.....still havent had any update on our stopover....no idea where we are staying now!!! :rolleyes:

Hi GrannyLorr,

Welcome to the group of "confused" travellers. Recently returned from Scenic Danube Cruise on the maiden voyage of the "Scenic Sapphire" (actually booked on "Scenic Emerald). Various "reasons!" given for the delay but we ended up missing out on 3 days cruising from Amsterdam and eventually boarded the boat in Cologne. Because of the delay we were subjected to many hours of "catch-up" travelling by coach to the next port of call after touring one of the advertised beautiful cities of Europe, being deposited on a river bank (despite having paid "port fees") and eventually being "on time" somewhere near Vienna. Fully aware that because of river regulations, timetables for locks etc., the tour cannot always keep to schedule but the initial delay in Amsterdam and the non-availability of the boats on time, plus ALL the reasons given to different couples, does not exactly give one faith to book a future vacation with Scenic Tours and Mr. Moroney. By the way, the "Sapphire", Crew and food etc. were great.

Oztour- Wow a real live person who we can pepper with questiosn!! I am sorry about the problems encountered. I was pleased to see you did like the ship, the crew and the food. Can you elaborate a bit more once you get settled in back home? Those of us booked have been not so patiently waiting for someone to share about being on this ship. I know many people will have lots of questions!! We hope that by next summer when we sail many of your concerns will have been addressed.

Okay, I will start!

What was the food like? Are the cabins and balconies comfortable? What did you like and dislike? IS this a 4/5 star experience? What did Scenic do to help with any difficulties they were coming across? Did they at least keep communicating with the passengers? How smooth a sailing does the ship offer?

Okay, enough from me:) I am so excited to hear from someone on this ship.

Faye

Thanks for the report, looking forward to hearing more.....in the meantime our saga with Scenic continues......our "free stopover" in Bangkok has just been confirmed....and "we may be able to get a late checkout of midday or 2pm"!!! :mad: Our "Scenic" booked flight doesnt leave till midnight! Otherwise we will have to pay a full nights tarrif of $210 AUD!!!!!:eek: This is for a hotel which can be got on "Asia rooms" for $76!! Not happy Jan doesnt quite fit what I am feeling at the moment! Needless to say I am about to send a email to the TA to tell them to pass on to Scenic to shove their "free Bangkok stopover" we will stick with our original booking......

oztour, thanks for your brief report. As it seems most of your negative thoughts sound like start up problems we should not encounter these in 2010.We would like much more information on the ship, crew and especially the accommodations and food, as we have booked a Royal Suite at a rather high price only to have the space and the balcony. The butler is a nice touch too.

When you recover from jet lag please tell us more. Thanks!:)

I have also booked the royal suite for our cruise Nov 17th 2008.

Grannylorr, the dramas continue for you- I guess that means you are back to staying at the PP? I am hoping in my case no news is good news, although we are still having to fly in and out of Sydney, the flight Brisbane to Sydney is at our own expense. Have you been given your allocated cabin as yet?

new nana, at this stage I have no idea where I am staying, who knows? The TA has probably cancelled my PP reservation by now! This is the first time I have used a TA for years, and am really regretting it.....I am back to making my own arrangements via the net....never have problems that way! Now people are asking what suite number we have??? We havent even been told what bloody ship we are on!! :mad: W

Hi Grannylorr & newnanna ... do you have your booking number from Scenic Tours? and, if so, have you tried the 'Tour Personaliser' on the Scenic Tours website? That's how I found out my cabin number & ship.;) ps I do hope that when Oztour has time to 'recover' he/she can maybe expand on the positives of the trip and give the rest of us some 'hope'. Fingers crossed! (I wonder did Scenic offer Oztour any compensation??) cheers, Sandra

Hi Orchestrapal,

as we are travelling Budapest to Amsterdam, is there a preference to the right or left side of the ship.

Grannylorr, Are you still traveling Amsterdam to Budapest?

Remember, my drama in the beginning when we weren't sure which direction we were travelling. Also in the beginning Scenic kept trying to charge us $1495 business class upgrade but as I kept telling them the Royal Suite included the B/C airfare at no extra cost? Did you find a similar prblem? The staff at scenic not really sure as to what the advertised specials are and include?

I finally got onto a great girl in Scenic who sorted out the problem- ( I hope )

Have you been told by your t/a when final payment is due?

Grannylorr & newnanna ... if you have your booking number from Scenic Tours, try the tour personaliser on their site ... that's where I found my cabin number and which ship I was on.

I'm still hoping for some 'positive' feedback from the most recent cruises ... let's hope that Andrew's post will be a good one. Sandra

Hi newnanna:

As we are not due to sail until May 2010 we have not yet gotten payment details. We have, however, given them a deposit.

As for the side of the ship; from what I have read it is beautiful on both sides and the sights vary depending where you are on the river. I don't think it will make a whole lot of difference which side you choose. We are going from Amsterdam to the Baltic and we have chosen the port side, for no real reason.

Because it is so early, we have not yet gotten to the airfare since it can not be booked until 330 days in advance. Since we always travel business or first class we hope they will still have the free up-grades available.

Try to relax, all will be well and enjoy your trip.:)

newnana, well seems we are still getting different information to you!! We paid around $2500 for Business Class upgrade, PLUS an extra $500 when the"advertised" flights were NOT AVAILABLE....(not sure of the exact dollars as we are away from home at the moment) ALSO paid EXTRA for the Royal Suite.......we paid the FULL amount weeks ago....really regretting it now.......we are SUPPOSED to be sailing from Amsterdam to Budapest...but who knows??? Will check the tour personaliser when I get home....probably find we are not booked at all!:mad:

Archived