Scenic Tours!

orchestrapal

Oztour: It is shame you did not find "perfection" on Scenic. I believe anyone that books an inaugural trip on any ship is in for a rough sail.

I'll take bets that Oceania and Crystal's first few cruises were far from what they were several months later.:(

In all fairness Orchestrapal, I really doubt that Oztour booked an "inaugral" cruise......the "inaugral" should have been long before he actually got on the ship! :( We all know and expect some lack of perfection in an inaugral......I certainly hope there are BIG improvements before November! Both newnana and I will be sailing on November 17th...in opposite directions (we hope...unless there has been another stuff up on what ships we are on!!) I am sure we will both be writing reports so should be interesting. I still havent recovered from the fact that Scenic wanted to charge us $220 for a "late checkout" in a Bangkok hotel, this hotel is $76 per night and we only wanted an extra 6 hours or so.......that sort of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth as far as the company is concerned.

I certainly would have been MORE than p****d if I found myself on a bus when I had booked a CRUISE...with no option of cancelling! I wouldnt have been just writing to Mr M, I would have been paying him a visit!! UNDERBELLY style! :eek:

Thanks for the report Oztour.......

Oztour: It is shame you did not find "perfection" on Scenic. I believe anyone that books an inaugural trip on any ship is in for a rough sail.

I'll take bets that Oceania and Crystal's first few cruises were far from what they were several months later.:(

Indeed it was a "shame" orchestrapal! - we were looking forward to a relaxing river cruise not a cheap coach tour - we certainly didn't pay that kind of money to willingly accept the problems of a "starter company"!!!

As regards finding "perfection" - we have that "at home" so why would we pay to travel "second class" if we had been pre-warned.

From all your comments re this company and cruises I only hope you aren't faced with ANY disappointments - The best of British Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you very much Oztour for coming back and offering us your experiences. We all have been waiting for some feedback, positive or not. I am sorry that your experience wasn't what you expected or paid for. We were very worried about new ship start up problems and that is why we have waited and booked for next summer. Hopefully they get it together or many of us will vote with our feet!

Did u do the pre/postcruise trip to Paris? Did u stay at the Scribe? If so, how was it? We are doing that next summer and would love some feedback as we have never been to Paris before.

I would be interested in hearing what any of your fellow shipmates have to offer. I hope that u do get a response from MrM. Please keep us informed.

Thank you again.

Faye D.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, glad I found this site and the comments including oztours. Yes I saw the Getaway show and have Scenic nice brochure. Even so after the info on here. I am not going to book with Scenic. Try one of the others I think, Avalon or Viking. Scenic have done a great promo on their boats, but not for me, too risky.

Even so after the info on here. I am not going to book with Scenic. Try one of the others I think, Avalon or Viking. Scenic have done a great promo on their boats, but not for me, too risky.

I have heard of other river cruises having problems when the river is running to fast in the spring or water levels to low & people are bused for most of the trip.

I am waiting to see other comments on the cruise before making a decision.

Lyn

I wonder if Scenic drained the rivers so it would P**S people off!!:cool:

This is my first post so please be gentle but on reading all your posts re Scenic Tours had to respond. My party of six were also booked on the second sailing of the Emerald leaving on June 30th which was ultimately cancelled 6 weeks prior to leaving. Our boat was substitued with the Debussy a 3 star version. Major disappointment on boarding but everyone grew to love it, Scenic Tours product and the crew. Actually had a fabulous time but my complaint is not with the Debussy but the way the whole cancellation process was handled by Scenic. We were not happy with how many inconsistencies there were in each passengers offers. Butler service, booked on Emerald and guaranteed by Scenic for Debussy never happened, discounts given for downgrade were so varied between same cabin passengers and options asked for by us and rejected by Scenic available to other passengers. Did they not think fellow passengers would talk. Everybody on boat although having a good time were all upset with Scenic and the way they were treated. We too have sent numerous emails to Scenic stating our grievances and have yet to have any reply from them. This flooding of Scenic Tours via the media at present seems to give me the feeling Scenic are in major damage control, but I think the preferred option would be to placate their existing clients to avoid all these not so complimentary postings by disgruntled passengers. These forums are very powerful outlets and read by many existing and future clients

Well, stumped, as another newbie to CC forums (Formerly a “lurker” who has since started posting) I think your comments are very useful. I’ve been reading this thread with great interest. We are just back from an APT cruise on “Sound of Music” Amsterdam to Istanbul. (Posted elsewhere on this). Booked last year when APT was the first to offer this itinerary (with a Gallipoli inclusion), now of course Scenic Tours is also offering it. The Scenic Tours ships with the balconies looked appealing, ours was French balcony only. Nice, but would have preferred the other. So have been keeping Scenic Tours in mind for future cruising, as we definitely will do another river cruise. I think it is important that a company responds to complaints in a timely fashion, seems that Scenic Tours isn’t doing that; and, worse, is inconsistent in its dealings with passengers. That would be a “No no” in my book for considering them as a tour company, as it is unprofessional.

I just got back from a Eurpoean River Cruise aboard Scenic Tours new ship "The Scenic Emerald" It was amazing, the ship is so elegant. Most of the cabins have private balconies, which no other river cruising ships offer. The the rooms are spacious and elegant. The food and service was outstanding, 5 star all the way. On the Danube Deck there is also private butler service. You can have breakfast on your balcony in the morning if you like or you can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the castles of Europe go by from your balcony. There is also lots of public space to sit as well, both inside and outside. It is all inclusive, so you don't have to pay for extras, all the tours and excursions are included.The wine is complimentry with lunch and dinner. And there are bicycles on board as well for the guests to use.

I would highly reccomend Scenic Tours for your next European River cruise. A great relaxing way to see Europe

oh dear....things sound worser and worser!! :( All the stuff on TV lately "look" really good, we also phoned for a DVD after seeing the report on Getaway....that arrived yesterday....all sounds and looks wonderful.....but we are still very nervous about Scenic as a Tour Company. I copied and pasted some of the comments and reports from in here, and emailed them to my TA....no response whatsoever....seems no one wants to know anything! Its not all that long till our cruise now...and you can bet your boots I will be writing about every little detail I can think of! If internet is available, and at a reasonable cost, I will try to report daily...if not, I will write it all in a book and post it when I get home......

I am sure Scenic are not aware of the "Internet" and "search engines"....how else could they have the audacity to try and charge me $220 for a "late checkout" on a $78 a night hotel?? :mad: Oh yeah....paid a vist to another TA yesterday (for another trip)....a "FC" one....and told them all about all the dramas with Scenic as well...may as well "advertise" as much as possible eh! :D

I just got back from a Eurpoean River Cruise aboard Scenic Tours new ship "The Scenic Emerald" It was amazing, the ship is so elegant. Most of the cabins have private balconies, which no other river cruising ships offer. The the rooms are spacious and elegant. The food and service was outstanding, 5 star all the way. On the Danube Deck there is also private butler service. You can have breakfast on your balcony in the morning if you like or you can enjoy a glass of wine and watch the castles of Europe go by from your balcony. There is also lots of public space to sit as well, both inside and outside. It is all inclusive, so you don't have to pay for extras, all the tours and excursions are included.The wine is complimentry with lunch and dinner. And there are bicycles on board as well for the guests to use.

I would highly reccomend Scenic Tours for your next European River cruise. A great relaxing way to see Europe

Syddogg, I am glad you had a great time on the Emerald. We too thought for 12 months that was what we booked, paid for and got excited about. We were originally on Danube deck with butler service. Everything you got was what we were getting, wrong, and believe me when things go wrong with Scenic they just do not want to know about you. As I said in my previous post their product is good if not excellent and we were supplied with a great trip but my god their administration is atrocious and basically non existant. An apology at best would be a start but nothing at all. Travel Agent working her butt off to get some sort of response to our emails, nothing. Even though their product is good the Russian Waterways trip we are planning next will not be with Scenic Tours, couldn't take the risk. I know this reply sounds like sour grapes and I really am pleased you had a good cruise but it just serves to make me even more determined to get some sort of compensation for the things promised and never delivered.

Archived