Wine

giles33

Just booked my first cruise with Celebrity for Jun 09. Does Celebrity let you bring your own wine on board like Princess? Also, is there a wine package to purchase like on Royal Caribbean making it more cost effective per bottle?

Thanks for the help.

Craig

Just booked my first cruise with Celebrity for Jun 09. Does Celebrity let you bring your own wine on board like Princess? Also, is there a wine package to purchase like on Royal Caribbean making it more cost effective per bottle?

Thanks for the help.

Craig

You are allowed to bring on two bottles per cabin. If you take them to the main dining room there is a $25 corkage fee. BTW, Princess no longer allows you to bring an unlimited amount of wine aboard.

As of this spring there were no wine packages, but I have read some things here on CC about packages starting to be offered on certain ships.

You are allowed to bring on two bottles per cabin. If you take them to the main dining room there is a $25 corkage fee. BTW, Princess no longer allows you to bring an unlimited amount of wine aboard.

The official policy is 2 bottles per cabin at embarkation port only, but many have posted here that in some Europe Med. ports they have been able to bring aboard local wine with out the Celebrity crew confiscating them upon re-boarding the ship:)

I wish X would adopt the same policy about wine as HAL which has no limits on wine at any port. If they did we would cruise more with X in the future (I hope X management sees this comment):p

I just found this in another post:

Go to celebrity.com - at the bottom of the page, in the middle, is a link titled "Gifts". Click on that. Then select "Bon Voyage Gifts" and then "Celebration Packages". At the bottom you will find the liquor packages.

Can the bottles be magnums (1.5l instead of 750 ml)? And if so will it be the same $25 corkage?

I love screwing with the system. lol

It just says "bottles". There is no size of bottle listed, so I would bring on a couple of jeroboams which is equal to six 750 mil bottles each.:D

While we are at it, shall we see if we can carry on a Salamazar or 2 (12 .750 bottles) I think a nedchadnezer would be out of the question 20 .750 bottles. The only down side is it will be heavy and I would not want to be around if it breaks. The positive side is think of the party you can throw.

garardo

As of this spring there were no wine packages, but I have read some things here on CC about packages starting to be offered on certain ships.

That's a shame! On HAL, you are allowed to bring on UNLIMITED bottles of wine as well as champagne per cabin, (now known as stateroom). If you bring the bottle(s) to the dining room, there is a $15 corkage fee per bottle! Better than $25!

For example, wine packages are offered, (and have been for quite some time), on HAL! Come cruise with HAL!

[/b]

For example, wine packages are offered, (and have been for quite some time), on HAL! Come cruise with HAL!

And I guess when it comes to HAL, your screen name kind of says it all:D

I've heard that a Doctor that frequents Celebrity and gets the big suite every time has a specially made suite case that holds 6 bottles of his personal stash.

A 25$ corkage fee is not that bad. And the wine list at the "Specialty" restaurants is quite good. Getting obsessed with a saving a few dollars here and there while you are trying to relax on your vacation is a big NO NO.

Paying a premium for a bottle of wine at dinner on a cruise...$50.00, Bringing your own bottle aboard... ($25.00), Not looking like CHEAP ASS in front of your wife and loved ones while on vacation... Priceless. ;)

We purchased a wine package on the Infinity in July. The packages ranged from about 170 to 230 for 5 bottles (think you could also get a 7 bottle pkg).

Our package was 230 and included wines in the $40-65 range. This top package allowed you to select any of the wines from any package.

I am not sure that bringing your own wine on board and paying the corkage is "cheap". The wine list is fairly limited and bringing your own expands your choices. Also...$50. does not buy you a great wine..probably one that costs $15 in the store.

We purchased a wine package on the Infinity in July. The packages ranged from about 170 to 230 for 5 bottles (think you could also get a 7 bottle pkg).

Our package was 230 and included wines in the $40-65 range. This top package allowed you to select any of the wines from any package.

I am not sure that bringing your own wine on board and paying the corkage is "cheap". The wine list is fairly limited and bringing your own expands your choices. Also...$50. does not buy you a great wine..probably one that costs $15 in the store.

I am interested in knowing what you would call a wine list that is not "Fairly limited". In my opinion, if you include the selection from the specialty restaurant the list is indeed very nice with good diversity.

garardo

DrKoob...

No, I think that she is making the point that HAL offers their customers choices while Celebrity gouges every last penny they can out of their clientel....

Hi diboja:

GeriatricNurse happens to be a he! And, by the way, you would be correct in your thinking!

I've heard that a Doctor that frequents Celebrity and gets the big suite every time has a specially made suite case that holds 6 bottles of his personal stash.

A 25$ corkage fee is not that bad. And the wine list at the "Specialty" restaurants is quite good. Getting obsessed with a saving a few dollars here and there while you are trying to relax on your vacation is a big NO NO.

Paying a premium for a bottle of wine at dinner on a cruise...$50.00, Bringing your own bottle aboard... ($25.00), Not looking like CHEAP ASS in front of your wife and loved ones while on vacation... Priceless. ;)

But a $15 corkage fee per bottle on HAL is better!!!

I also brought magnums on my last cruise (hawaii round trip from San diego). with 8 sea days what else can you do? Also, I preorder myself "bon voyage" presents of wine- can be delivered to dinner or the cabin, seems to be cheaper and no 15% gratuity. I always order something from the somellier, and if you specify a price range (has been pretty good, I specify the at first the price range and they seem to remember) I've received some really nice wines that I would not have tried otherwise. Can cork the bottles and use over the course of a few days. If you don't watch the price range the sommeliers will always offer something more than what you wanted to spend. This is not just on the ships, but restaurants as well.

Ward,

I'm quite confused.:confused: This is the Celebrity Board not the Hal board.:) If you go to the top of the page and click on Cruise Forums - Cruise Message Boards - Cruise Critic .

Then under Cruise Lines "A - O", click on Holland America Line. You will find the cruiseline you are looking for.

Oops, maybe it's me am I mistakenly on the HAL Board.:eek:

Oh yes, WOULD YOU STOP YELLING.

That's a shame! On HAL, you are allowed to bring on UNLIMITED bottles of wine as well as champagne per cabin, (now known as stateroom). If you bring the bottle(s) to the dining room, there is a $15 corkage fee per bottle! Better than $25!

this is so true, and I think $25 is outrageous, but watch for other lines to follow Celebrity and RCI. I have a gut feeling soon soft drinks will not be allowed or bottled water.

Nita

this is so true, and I think $25 is outrageous, but watch for other lines to follow Celebrity and RCI. I have a gut feeling soon soft drinks will not be allowed or bottled water.

Nita

If you really look at the numbers, the $25 corkage although a bit high is still a good deal if you really enjoy good wine. Just one example of this would be a bottle of Dom Perignon. This can be bought at Costco for about $100 plus the $25 corkage is $125. Far cheaper then the $180 on the wine list. You also have to look at the fact that the ship does not offer all of the wines that you might enjoy. For example, I will be bringing a Ca del' Bosco Dosage Zero along that is very hard to find. The cost will be about $50. I might have it in the cabin or on deck or share it with folks I meet at dinner. The potential $75 is still a good value.

If I recall, when the corkage was $15, I was told by the wine steward that he only gets about $3 of the $15. That $3 is equal to a guest ordering the cheapest bottle on the list. What a slap in the face that must be.

garardo

If you really look at the numbers, the $25 corkage although a bit high is still a good deal if you really enjoy good wine. Just one example of this would be a bottle of Dom Perignon. This can be bought at Costco for about $100 plus the $25 corkage is $125. Far cheaper then the $180 on the wine list. You also have to look at the fact that the ship does not offer all of the wines that you might enjoy. For example, I will be bringing a Ca del' Bosco Dosage Zero along that is very hard to find. The cost will be about $50. I might have it in the cabin or on deck or share it with folks I meet at dinner. The potential $75 is still a good value.

If I recall, when the corkage was $15, I was told by the wine steward that he only gets about $3 of the $15. That $3 is equal to a guest ordering the cheapest bottle on the list. What a slap in the face that must be.

garardo

this could be true, but $25 is $10 higher than any other line. I just hope the rest do not follow...Of course for those who drink the best, it may seem fair, most of us do not....

Nita

Archived