RCCL Takes 3 Weeks to Return Bag - What Would You Ask For?

I asked "what would you ask for".

The majority opinion so far is "nothing - just be thankful you got the bag back at all."

As for the smelly clothes - well, how can I answer this? I only know that I put the bag outside our stateroom on July 11, and it showed up on my doorstep on August 4. The clothes were NOT packed wet, bundled with leaking cheese, or packaged up in any other way that would invite ridicule. The contents had certainly been rifled through, but I have no idea who went through them. RCCL? FEDEX? US Customs? The Taliban? Who knows?

Anyway, thanks for your replies. I asked if the community thought compensation was appropriate, and you have provided your opinions.

And I have no position whatsoever on the existence or propriety of "RC Vigilantes."

Thanks for coming back, Hobson.

Love your last line!

I must be an RC vigilante (I actually thought they were cheerleaders) - because I also believe that no compensation is warranted. Again, if something was lost or damaged - sure. But you received your items. In fact, it delayed some of your post cruise laundry -which I always hate. ;)

Perhaps the OP should offer to compensate RCL for delaying his post-cruise laundry for 3 weeks. :p

i'd think i'd ask for an onboard credit or something... Then again i'd feel awkward asking for it because in theory, it may not be their fault but idk..The bag was loss and they found it but why i think you should be compensated is because it took them three weeks to return the bag ...

If RC had actually shipped the bag when they said they found it, rather than (for some strange reason) holding it for another two weeks, I would agree with the majority.

Since that did not happen, I feel RC dropped the ball. It may or may not have been their fault the bag was lost in the first place, but how do you explain the loooong shipping delay? And the associated poor customer service?

To the OP: I would, as someone else suggested, simply send a letter describing your experience and expressing your displeasure with their customer service. I wouldn't ask for any compensation, but (if you feel this way) would let them know that you are re-evaluating cruising with them again.

And then let it go. Perhaps you will be offered some small OBC or voucher credit and perhaps not, but I wouldn't let this unpleasantness tie up any more of your time after the letter is sent.

I would send a letter to customer service explaining the whole situation, but don't make accusations. You could question why it took two weeks from the time they notified you of the bag's re-appearance to it being shipped. I would not ask for anything but would hope they send you something.

And if you think the RCI "cheerleaders" are bad, mosey on over to Princess and watch that bunch in operation. The worst by far. The crew over there would make noises about you not having the proper insurance (do your homework) and how Princess never does anything wrong and how dare you criticize them (do your research on how to put the address labels on).

Tell them that you were thinking of asking for compensation but you realized that this would make you look like a money hungry extortionist so you decided to be happy that your stuff was returned and drop your demand for compensation.

DON

if anything, i would spend alittle more on your next cruise...

why you ask??

you flew home w/ one less bag, that was one less extra bag fee. they saved you some $$ in my eyes. :D next cruise, but a few more drinks then this one...:p

ha ha.

glad you got it back in the end, and nothing was permantly stinky from it....

greg

Just offhand, I suspect that the bag was ashore and the longshoremen probably left it in a dark corner somewhere all this time. Meaning that RCI probably had to get them to go dig for it in the first place.

Wash the clothes and cruise on.

An apology, reimbursed cleaning costs for anything that required special/extra care over and above the normal "get home and wash all the dirty clothes" that you would have done anyway, and reimbursement to replace any items (if any) that were damaged. Nothing more.

beachchick

I wouldn't ask for anything. I would, however, show a little gratitude for them paying shipping charges from England! :eek:

That's just me tho. I tend to march to the beat of a different drummer ;)

I wouldn't. Why should I be grateful that they did the minimum that they should be expected to do? They misplaced it in the first place. It's not as if they were doing the OP a "favor" by returning the suitcase.

beachchick

Tell them that you were thinking of asking for compensation but you realized that this would make you look like a money hungry extortionist so you decided to be happy that your stuff was returned and drop your demand for compensation.

DON

LOL! Good one :)

I wouldn't. Why should I be grateful that they did the minimum that they should be expected to do? They misplaced it in the first place. It's not as if they were doing the OP a "favor" by returning the suitcase.

beachchick

Good for you! Like I said, I tend to look at things a little differently.

As others have posted, we have no idea where the fault was. Yet RCL paid the shipping charges. I'd simply give them my heartfelt thanks and move on with my life.

To expect/demand otherwise would just make one appear money-hungry!

My family and I got off Independence on July 12 at Southampton, and one of our bags was nowhere to be found. Somehow, it got lost between the ship and the terminal - a distance of about 20 yards. I filed a report on the spot, and we returned to the US that day.

A RCCL rep left a phone message on July 16 saying they'd found the bag, and would contact us with shipping info. Waited 3 more days. Nothing. My wife began calling RCCL reps daily, demanding information. For awhile, no one could even confirm that they'd actually found the bag. Our travel agent even joined in, but only got the reply that "this never happens."

On July 29, my wife finally got confirmation the bag had shipped and got a Fedex tracking number. July 30 initiated two days of phone tag with someone at Fedex who needed my SSN to get US Customs to release the bag.

The bag finally showed up August 4, full of pretty nasty-smelling clothes.

So, what would you ask for from RCCL, and how would you go about it?

P.S. my trip insurance (Travelex) does not cover baggage delays when returning home -

I can understand your frustration, but why do people automatically assume that they are entitled to some form of compensation? Is anything missing or damaged? If no, then you are not entitled to anything. Just be glad that you have recieved your belongings and move on.

Am I the only one who is sick of the "entitlement mentality" that we Americans seem to have? This is a big reason this country is in the mess that it is in..

(A general observation, not an attack on the OP)

It may or may not have been their fault the bag was lost in the first place, but how do you explain the loooong shipping delay? And the associated poor customer service?

Perhaps the bag enjoyed a leisurely transatlantic sailing...:D

If the OP comes back to read these responses here is my response to him.

First - we all sympathize with you for the inconvenience you went through with the constant phone calls back and forth.

But - ask yourself these questions first.

1. Did you enjoy your cruise?
  2. Was it RCL's fault by not unloading your luggage off the ship in the first place and your luggage cruised for another three weeks or, was it the fault of the Long Shore Men/Women, who are independent contractors , and are the ones that "misplaced" your luggage in the first place?

Either way, if this had happend to me, I would write (not E-Mail) a letter to Royal Caribbean. I would make sure my letter was certified and I would request a signature of who receiveed my letter just in case my letter got lost in the thousands of letters that RCL must get every week.

I would first tell them that I enjoyed my cruised with Royal Caribbean (if I had) then let them know that, through know fault of yours, your luggage was lost after departing from the ship and it was three weeks before I final received it. And by that time my clothes were returned in a moldy and unbearable smelly smell. Then I would thank them for the "time" they did take in trying to find my luggage and for "shipping" it back to me from over seas. I would end it with with hopes that Royal Caribbean can come up with better ways to communicate between the cruiseline and the luggage handlers so this problem won't happen again. But I would also say that I know this might not be possible considering the tens of thousands pieces of luggage that must come off the ship on any given cruise.

Since you really don't know who lost your luggage, or how much time RCL actually spent trying to find your lost luggage I would try not to place the blame on them. THINK PRO-ACTIVE. Keep your letter short and to the point. Most people who write letters of complaint keep it too long and it is proven that after the second paragraph you will lose the interest of the reader. Then ask them to please acknowledge your letter, either by postal mail, phone call or E-Mail.

Good luck and please let us know what you have decided to do.

Thought for today - One good deed can bring a lifetime of happiness (this thought is taken from the inside cover of a container of sour cream)

It just might be possible that someone else mistook it for their bag and took it home with them. That surely would not be the line's fault. I have not read all the responses so don't know if this has already been mentioned.

I would be glad that the bag was finally returned, yes a bit miffed that it took long, but there could be many reasons as to why it took time to get the bag to the owner. I would not would expect any type of compensation. But everyone thinks differently.

Annieeee

If the OP comes back to read these responses here is my response to him.

First - we all sympathize with you for the inconvenience you went through with the constant phone calls back and forth.

But - ask yourself these questions first.

1. Did you enjoy your cruise?
  2. Was it RCL's fault by not unloading your luggage off the ship in the first place and your luggage cruised for another three weeks or, was it the fault of the Long Shore Men/Women, who are independent contractors , and are the ones that "misplaced" your luggage in the first place?

Either way, if this had happend to me, I would write (not E-Mail) a letter to Royal Caribbean. I would make sure my letter was certified and I would request a signature of who receiveed my letter just in case my letter got lost in the thousands of letters that RCL must get every week.

I would first tell them that I enjoyed my cruised with Royal Caribbean (if I had) then let them know that, through know fault of yours, your luggage was lost after departing from the ship and it was three weeks before I final received it. And by that time my clothes were returned in a moldy and unbearable smelly smell. Then I would thank them for the "time" they did take in trying to find my luggage and for "shipping" it back to me from over seas. I would end it with with hopes that Royal Caribbean can come up with better ways to communicate between the cruiseline and the luggage handlers so this problem won't happen again. But I would also say that I know this might not be possible considering the tens of thousands pieces of luggage that must come off the ship on any given cruise.

Since you really don't know who lost your luggage, or how much time RCL actually spent trying to find your lost luggage I would try not to place the blame on them. THINK PRO-ACTIVE. Keep your letter short and to the point. Most people who write letters of complaint keep it too long and it is proven that after the second paragraph you will lose the interest of the reader. Then ask them to please acknowledge your letter, either by postal mail, phone call or E-Mail.

Good luck and please let us know what you have decided to do.

Thought for today - One good deed can bring a lifetime of happiness (this thought is taken from the inside cover of a container of sour cream)

I don't think these circumstances deserve this much effort to be expended (MHO), but your approach is really the best way to deal with a company when you have a (real) grievance. Good advice!

It just might be possible that someone else mistook it for their bag and took it home with them. That surely would not be the line's fault. I have not read all the responses so don't know if this has already been mentioned.

I would be glad that the bag was finally returned, yes a bit miffed that it took long, but there could be many reasons as to why it took time to get the bag to the owner. I would not would expect any type of compensation. But everyone thinks differently.

Annieeee

This is exactly what happened to my DD and SIL coming back from their honeymoon cruise. Another pax picked up their bag and it took over two weeks to get it to them. Sh**t happens. They didn't ask for nor expect any compensation.

I would like others have said write a letter.

RCCL have a duty of care to look after your bag. Yes they contract the work out but they still have to look after your bag. Obviously a lot of people on this board have never lost a bag, or stood there at the pier and realize your bag insn't there. They haven't had to wait three weeks waiting to see if the bag will turn up and just the general upset that a situation like this can cause. If you don't inform RCCL of how you feel they will never know. They will not know that a problem arose and therefore would never have the opportunity to solve the problem.

There is also a security issue here of what happened to the bag and all the implications that could go with it.

Kimberley

I would like others have said write a letter.

RCCL have a duty of care to look after your bag. Yes they contract the work out but they still have to look after your bag. Obviously a lot of people on this board have never lost a bag, or stood there at the pier and realize your bag insn't there. They haven't had to wait three weeks waiting to see if the bag will turn up and just the general upset that a situation like this can cause. If you don't inform RCCL of how you feel they will never know. They will not know that a problem arose and therefore would never have the opportunity to solve the problem.

There is also a security issue here of what happened to the bag and all the implications that could go with it.

Kimberley

......and "obviously" you haven't read all the posts including mine above yours. Yes, many of us have mentioned lost luggage problems including my DD's loss. Inside that bag were all there wedding and honeymoon photographs since they were married on the ship. RCCL is "obviously" aware of their problem since they were able to locate the bag and return it to the OP.

Archived