Passports?

Pebeccer

We are going on our first cruise to the mediterranean (Italy, Spain, Portugal, France and Spanish Morocco) in a few weeks and we have booked an inside stateroom on NCL. I don't think it has a safe but I think there are safety deposit boxes. Should we keep our passports in the safety deposit boxes? Should we/do we need them for all the ports? The only port that says it requires a passport for sure is Ceuta and that info was on posted on the shore excursion. What does everyone do with their passports on a cruise when you're out and about on the ship? Do you leave them in your room? If your room doesn't have a safe, do you take it with you? Thanks!

All the ships we have been on have a small safe in the room. We keep all our valuables (money, cc, passport, etc) in the safe while on the ship. If they did not have a safe, we would find an inconspicuous somewhat difficult place to store them. We have never had any problem with uninvited people in our stateroom.

When we go ashore in a foreign country, we always carry our passport in case it is needed. You have to carry some type of ID and this is the accepted form in all countries.

I always leave my pasport in the safe in my cabin; and I have never had any problems with anyone taking anything or even coming into my cabin on a cruise ship. However, when I go ashore to ports not in the Caribbean: I did it for my Med cruise, I made sure I had my driver's license with me as it is a government ID with a picture AND a photocopy of my passport. We never needed them but were told to make the copies and bring them so we did.

I just kind of go with 'better safe than sorry' and it's not like one piece of paper weighs anything to carry with you.

Also be aware that on some cruises (especially to Europe) the ship may ask you to turn in your passport to them. They will then give you a paper copy of the first page. This is done to speed up immigration checks in various countries. The authorities will come on board and look and stamp them as necessary. If they have any questions you will be called to speak with them in person.

If your passport is needed for a specific country, they will give it back to you until they leave that country.

We just returned from the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings on Holland America, and they asked for all passports right after leaving the US and we got them back after we left Iceland on the return leg. There were two new immigration stamps in them for two of the Icelandic villages that we stopped at.

Cheers,

A US drivers license is not always recognized as a form of ID regardless of it having a picture. Always take your passport to port and tuck it into your bag and/or some type of bodypack/bag. We left money and coins in the closet behind a closed door near the safe (we've had bad experiences w/ safes not opening correctly so we dont use them) and each night our money was counted and fine.

I've never met an European who carried a copy in the US and/or other countries. We have to get over the fear that we're not responsible enough or we're going to be overtaken and thefted. We're issued passports for a reason- carry them.

I agree with you JenEric. I have never understood what the big deal is with passports. Some seem to think they are made out of gold and every thief in the world is just waiting to get their hands on one. Passports are simply an internationally recognized form of ID. I always have mine with me when I travel outside the USA. It really is not any big deal. :D

I have never understood what the big deal is with passports.

Some seem to think they are made out of gold and every thief in the world is just waiting to get their hands on one.

Passports are simply an internationally recognized form of ID. ===> Yes, they are..

I always have mine with me when I travel outside the USA. It really is not any big deal. :D

There is an international black market in stolen passports.

Wife and I had the house burgled back in 2001 when all our passports were stolen

-even the expired ones!

When we asked why, we were told that pages bearing USA Visitor's Visas are extracted

to be skillfully included in passports bearing no US Visa! - clever.

No, we're not Americans. We live on Barbados.

Wife holds a Barbados passport, I hold a UK passport(and Barbados too).

The Barbados Immigration authorities gave her a hard time regarding the theft

lectured her for not keeping it in an unassailably safe place (it's in such a place now!)

and when they re-issued her new passport, it was good for one year only,

after which time she applied for renewal and got it, but they clearly look to teach you a lesson!

Why? Because people figure it's just another booklet of sorts and throw it in a drawer somewhere,

and then it gets stolen and ends up in the illegal drugs market along with other contraband.

The local Brit. Hi.Commission on the other hand

didn't seem too worried about the theft of my UK passport

they just wanted to see the Police statement I made, and I got my newpassport in 5 working days.

It cost me the equivalent of U.S.$ 245 for the new UK hi-tech machine-readable passport,

so that too now lives in a safe at home,

unless I feel like forking out another arm and a leg for a passport!

You be careful with your passport!

It has real value in the criminal trade! :)

There is an international black market in stolen passports.

Wife and I had the house burgled back in 2001 when all our passports were stolen

-even the expired ones!

When we asked why, we were told that pages bearing USA Visitor's Visas are extracted

to be skillfully included in passports bearing no US Visa! - clever.

No, we're not Americans. We live on Barbados.

Wife holds a Barbados passport, I hold a UK passport(and Barbados too).

The Barbados Immigration authorities gave her a hard time regarding the theft

lectured her for not keeping it in an unassailably safe place (it's in such a place now!)

and when they re-issued her new passport, it was good for one year only,

after which time she applied for renewal and got it, but they clearly look to teach you a lesson!

Why? Because people figure it's just another booklet of sorts and throw it in a drawer somewhere,

and then it gets stolen and ends up in the illegal drugs market along with other contraband.

The local Brit. Hi.Commission on the other hand

didn't seem too worried about the theft of my UK passport

they just wanted to see the Police statement I made, and I got my newpassport in 5 working days.

It cost me the equivalent of U.S.$ 245 for the new UK hi-tech machine-readable passport,

so that too now lives in a safe at home,

unless I feel like forking out another arm and a leg for a passport!

You be careful with your passport!

It has real value in the criminal trade! :)

Fear Factor - 10

Reality - Very Low

Chances of your passport being stolen is less than 1/10 of 1 percent.

According to google research, it's easier and safer for a person to purchase a fake passport than to risk stealing one.

Never walk around on foriegn soil without a passport on hand. ((Unless of course you are asked to surrender it))

Archived