Aiport Transfers

Yvonne

Why do they have to make things inconvenient and difficult?!

I called Royal Caribbean this morning to make final payment on my upcoming cruise with my Mom on the Mariner in October. No problem.

Then I asked to purchase round trip airport transfers but because we are flying in the day before, he said he couldn't sell them to me!! Said I had to wait and buy them at the airport.

What is the difference?! Why should it matter that we are flying in the day before?!

I am a "planner" and like having the "details" all worked out, paid for, etc. BEFORE the cruise so not being able to buy the transfers like I should be able to is causing stress.

Has anyone else had to wait until they get to the airport to buy their transfers? If so, was it a hassle? I can just envision mom and I standing there with our luggage, waiting to buy transfers, and being told the busses are full!! Arg!!

Normally when my husband and I cruise we just rent a car, but I really don't want to do that with my mother so the cruiseline bus is the way we need to go, but it aggravates me that they're making it difficult when it doesn't have to be!! *banging head against the wall*

Why make it hard on yourself? Why not just take a cab. Unless you are arriving at a very unusual airport/port situation I have found it is almost always easier, cheaper, faster and just plain better to just get a cab. The only time I have ever used the cruise ship transfers is overseas where the port and the airport may be separated by a great distance. Even then with a little planning there is generally a better option.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

Instead of using the RCCL transfers, which if you are arriving the day before will probably be inconvenient anyways, why not just find a shuttle service or private car service? Usually the shuttle services are much less expensive than the RCCL transfers and since most will pick you up at your hotel you won't have the added hassle of going back to the airport to get catch your ride to the port. I recommend going to the East Coast Departures, Florida board and asking for shuttle service recommendations.

I must be missing something. Why would you want to board an RCI bus the day before your cruise?

Doesn't your hotel offer transportation from the airport and then to the pier the next day? If not, just take a cab.

This really doesn't seem to be a stressful situation to me.

I must be missing something. Why would you want to board an RCI bus the day before your cruise?

Doesn't your hotel offer transportation from the airport and then to the pier the next day? If not, just take a cab.

This really doesn't seem to be a stressful situation to me.

Yes, you're missing something. I should have mentioned this in my original post, sorry.

My elderly mother and I are flying in to Orlando the day before our cruise, yes. But. We are staying at the Hyatt Regency hotel right there inside the airport. I wanted to make things as easy and stress free for her as possible so staying right at the Hyatt is the best option. I didn't want to fly in the day of the cruise, because of possible delays, cancellations, etc. so we are choosing to fly in a day early, stay right at the airport hotel and then take the cruiseline bus to the ship the next day.

It's about a 45-minute ride from the airport to the ship at Port Canaveral, I would think that would be an expensive taxi ride.

I called Royal Caribbean this morning to make final payment on my upcoming cruise with my Mom on the Mariner in October. No problem.

Then I asked to purchase round trip airport transfers but because we are flying in the day before, he said he couldn't sell them to me!! Said I had to wait and buy them at the airport.

What is the difference?! Why should it matter that we are flying in the day before?!

I am a "planner" and like having the "details" all worked out, paid for, etc. BEFORE the cruise so not being able to buy the transfers like I should be able to is causing stress.

Has anyone else had to wait until they get to the airport to buy their transfers? If so, was it a hassle? I can just envision mom and I standing there with our luggage, waiting to buy transfers, and being told the busses are full!! Arg!!

Normally when my husband and I cruise we just rent a car, but I really don't want to do that with my mother so the cruiseline bus is the way we need to go, but it aggravates me that they're making it difficult when it doesn't have to be!! *banging head against the wall*

I'm going to stretch and tell you to consider renting a car one way to the port, and one way back. It's about a 1 hour drive, well marked.

I have done it before.

I think you will find the total cost of the car comparable to what RCCL transfers would have cost the two of you, and you will have a lot more flexibility in the time you leave for the port and for the airport, and it will ultimately be more convenient.

The car rental services will provide a shuttle to get you from the rental place to the ship's dock and from the rental place to the airport.

PLUS, since you are flying in a day early, you can always rent the car the day you come in and use it to do a little sightseeing.

Just a suggestion.

If you don't mind driving I'm with those that suggest doing a one-way rental to the port and back. Driving from MCO to Port Canaveral is very simple. The entirety of the port's web site directions are

"
From
(MCO)
This airport is approximately 45 minutes west of Port Canaveral. Take the North Exit from the Airport, staying to the right, to S.R. 528 (Beachline Expressway) East. Take S.R. 528 directly to Port Canaveral."

Port Canaveral has a good web site with lots of resources including an extensive list of transportation options http://www.portcanaveral.org/cruising/groundtransport.php

We've only used cruise line bus transfers once. We found them to be difficult, expensive and confusing. Hurry up and wait, no information offered to you, slow buses, too many other pax getting on and off the bus. Difficult for elderly people to board making the process slow for everyone.

And....it typically costs more than private transportation.

Do it the easy way, book private transportation. They pick you up right in front of the hotel or cruise port, whisk you away from the crowds and you move a lot faster than waiting around for buses to load. Easier for your mother to get in and out of the car as well.

The above link gives you many options, make it easy on yourself and avoid cruise line bus transfers whenever possible.

Call Tiffany Towncar...and ask for Dennis as your driver...he's awesome and always on time...and they are much less expensive

I just checked their website, from Orlando International to Port Canaveral (round trip) is $218. Royal Caribbean's bus service is $140 round trip for 2, so Tiffany is MORE expensive.

For those that suggested driving, that's not an option. I don't enjoy driving and want to leave it to someone else.

I checked cab fare and it's over $100, one way.

I guess we'll just wait and buy our transfers at the airport. And I'll try not to stress about it. :)

Maybe you can look into buying a day prior hotel package from RCCL which would include a hotel (selected by them) and transfers from airport to hotel, hotel to ship, and then ship to airport. We did something like that quite a few years ago (1999?) sailing out of Miami and it worked out very well for us. I think they still offer similar deals.

I'm kinda in the same shape as you are only different towns & airport. I was told by RCCl that I could not book transfer because we are flying out 1 day after our cruise. So I took it up on myself to call Crown & Anchor and the lady said sure I can book you a transfer back to FLL airport. She did & it shows up on my cruise reservation now. Our hotel will pick us up from the airport. and return us the next morning for our flight home. So if you are a member of the crown & anchor I would call them and see if they might help with booking your transfer.

Whenever I fly in the day before and want to use RCCL transfers, I call and tell them I am flying in the day of the cruise and give them an airline and flight number and time of arrival. Then on the day of the cruise I show up at the airport and board one of their busses. If I have given them a later arrival time than when I arrive at the airport, I just tell them I caught an earlier flight.

And renting a car is something you don't feel comfortable with?:confused:

jc

I hate driving so I do it as little as possibe. I certainly wouldnt do it in a strange area that I was not familar with. I am sure that the op probably feels the same way.

I hate driving so I do it as little as possibe. I certainly wouldnt do it in a strange area that I was not familar with. I am sure that the op probably feels the same way.

EXACTLY the way I feel!! Thank you for understanding. Some people don't seem to. :(

Yvonne - for our Hawaii cruise where we caught our bus from San Diego, they were saying we had to buy transfers at the port because we were flying in the day before. I called back and said, I'm flying in the day of the cruise, gave them a bogus flight number (as someone suggested), and voila, I had my transfers. Also, do not change your hotel. I stay at the Hyatt at the airport several times a year. It is a beautiful hotel. It is so easy especially if your elderly mother has mobility issues.

Try Sunrise Florida Transportation for a private transfer (http://www.transportationflorida.com). We booked them for a group of 9 leaving tomorrow. They have been very prompt in confirming the reservation. Their website lists $140 for roundtrip from Orlando airport to Port for a private car to take you and your mother. This could alleviate all your problems (price, not wanting to drive yourself, etc.). Hope you have a great time. I will try to come back and post my comments on them when we return from Mariner.

Archived