Johnny Rockets was pretty darn empty!

Just got back from a week on NOS (4/3 sailing). Overall we had a great time. However, if our experience with Johnny Rockets is any indication, the surcharge thing is NOT working. On previous trips on VOS and EOS, Johnny Rockets was always crowded. We liked to go there for a snack at 4 PM or a "midnight malted" before retiring to the cabin. (Didn't mind paying for the malted because the place was hopping.)

This time you could waltz in and get a seat at anytime, (with LOADS of empty tables to choose from) and at midnight the waiters were sitting there staring at each other. They gotta do something different, cuz this approach is NOT succeeding. The lack of crowds also made it alot less fun. Who wants to go to an empty restaurant to watch the waiters sing "YMCA" to two tables? Yikes!

Voyager of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Disney Magic, Grand Princess, Volendam, Amsterdam, Zuiderdam, Millenium, Navigator of the Seas

Works for me. I will look forward to not standing in a long line when I sail on the NOTS in December. Other recent reviews from both the Mariner and Navigator have made comments about lines with a thirty minute wait. I have also read that the surcharge is here to stay so it must have worked.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

works for us as well. Hopefully it will be in effect when we sail in November and will have spread to Explorer as well. I can do without the singing waiters. I just would like to be able to grab a snack without fighting the crowds.

Future cruises

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Explorer OTS - Eastern Caribbean 11/04

Past cruises

Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03

Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

I am also one that is NOT upset about the surcharge. Would I prefer no charge, YES, BUT after what I have spent on my upcoming Mariner cruise so far, spending another $4 is not going to ruin my cruise, small potatoes compared to what I already spent. I have never eaten at a Johnny Rockets, so I probably will partake. I am also of the same opinion as previous posters..it is a small price to pay to not have to wait. JMO.

Marie

HAL - MAASDAM - June 2004/Canada/New England

RCI - Mariner of the Seas,

Sept 2004(CC Group Cruise)

Carnival Miracle -February 2005

RCI Majesty of the Seas - Spring Break, March 2005

Celebrity Mercury, April 2005

That's what I was thinking. Sounds to me the charge is working like they wanted too. No long lines or teens hogging the tables for hours on end. I say it's here to stay or else

they will take it out and turn it into another money making video arcade room.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on the Zuiderdam

Til we sail on the Mariner of The Seas RCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until we sail on the Disney Wonder

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

til we sail the ms Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

In my opinion (and remember it's MY opinion) it's not the $3.95 issue but the fact that RCCL feels that they can "nickel and dime" and their passengers are just going to accept it. What I find sad is that people either don't care or they don't see the whole picture. If passengers just let them get away with it then what next? Are they going to feel justified in charging for ice skating, golf, etc... The lines for rock climbing are long also. My point is if we accept everything they throw at us then they will just continue to think of new areas to charge since people are willing to accept it. Believe me, $3.95 isn't going to make or break me when we cruise several times a year but with all the changes RCCL is making and most aren't in the passenger's best interest we'll be making our next plans on other lines. Yes, the other lines are changing policies too but not to the extend that RCCL has been lately.

We never had huge lines while on the Voyager Class ships but if that was the problem then during peak times they should have required a parent to be present for kids under 16 or 18. I can guarantee that would have cut the line down significantly. From what we saw the kids used JR as a hang out which took away tables from others waiting. It just amazes me how people just accept whatever the cruise line throws their way. I guess the people who petitioned when the charges for the ice skating, rock climbing and JR first came out realized they had the power as without them RCCL had less business. Somewhere along the way people forgot that issue. I personally doubt the long lines is the real reason for the increase as the rock climbing has long lines too! Is that next???

Are the people who don't mind the $3.95 going to be ok with charges for activities too? Where and when do you draw the line?

RCCL has people monitoring these boards to get public views. I for one want them to know we'll be looking at other lines more closely as I'm sure others will too.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004><param name="month" value=07><param name="day" value=17><param name="hour" value=17><param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

Navigator of the Seas 7/17/2004

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="year" value=2004><param name="month" value=12><param name="day" value=26><param name="hour" value=17><param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

Jewel of the Seas 12/26/2004

<param name="year" value=2005><param name="month" value=02><param name="day" value=26><param name="hour" value=17><param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

Caribbean Princess 2/26/2005

cruiseshipani.gif

Hard to believe the fee worshippers attitudes here. Strange that everyone here is a solo traveler, because they dont mind spending $4 to not have to wait a few minutes. A fam of 4 its $16 to not have to wait. Funny, on the Nav we went by a few times and never saw a line ever. We dont eat greasy stuff like fries and burgers so would never go to JR. Funny how everyone looks at a situation. We are so upset about this surcharge that after the Jewel in July we are done with RCI and Celbrity unless they stop this charge. A few years ago with the Voyager, guess there were not all these fee worshippers, because the JR charge stopped. RCI has been hard at work, and apparently have succeeded. Dont want to read any of these worshippers complaining in the future when the fees go up and they keep charging for new things.

For those of you complaining about the surcharges. Would you rather the cruise lines just raise the price of cruises back to what they once were? That way regardless of who uses or takes advantages of the things like JR's, the rock climbing wall,etc it would be covered? I doubt that you would like that. Some are going to say "why should I have to pay for something that I would not use"?Cruising has been cheaper in the last two years than it ever has. The cruise lines are a business not a charity. I say vote with your wallet. If you do not like what is going on then find another line or some other form of vacation that will suit your taste and budget. I am not trying to be rude here but cruising has changed over the years. A lot of this is due to the fact that people are to cheap to buy beer, soda and wine on board and now smuggle the stuff in their luggage. Years ago you never heard of anyone doing excursions on their own. They booked them through the cruise lines. The lost revenue has to be made up somewhere. So you have a choice. Make up the revenue with different on board items like bingo, art auctions and yes surcharges for some dining venues or raise the price of cruising across the board. Which is it going to be?

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

What great news!!! I HATE long lines and I hardly have any patience so it is great to hear that you don't have to wait all day just for a burger!!! Yay!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;3;6;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Navigator of the Seas/Western Caribbean 03/06

Gordon, now the $3.95 is for revenue not cruise enhancement. I say please raise prices of the cruises and keep things the way they are. I want nice ships, and want the cruise lines to succeed. I have never complained about what the cruise lines charge. Out of our 20 or so cruises most have been on Celebrity or RCI. We switched to them from Princess because Princess was charging for ice cream. We dont eat ice cream, but the extra charge botherd us we switched. Now we have booked on Princess because of the JR charge. The charge for food is more upsetting than the ice cream.

I agree with Brad1185, I'd rather pay a little more and not be nickel and dimed.

The fact is cruise fares are on their way up again and the sad part is some things that were once included in the fare aren't anymore. So in fact most will be paying more for less. Don't feel sorry for the cruise lines as they make their profit as any business should. However, if I started charging my customers more and gave them less of a product I'm sure they'd complain. I have no problem with choices or alternatives but the "key word" is choices. Add alternative dining, name brand ice cream, etc... but don't take away what was already offered and make it an alternative. That's not giving a passenger different choices. In my opinion,(and remember,it's MY opinion) cruising is leaning towards booking a room and having choices for dining and entertainment where you're charged for what you use. Remember the days when you use to have a meal with real cutlery and a free movie on a plane? Now you book a seat and everything else is extra... that will be cruising down the road.

<param name="year" value=2004><param name="month" value=07><param name="day" value=17><param name="hour" value=17><param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

<param name="year" value=2004><param name="month" value=12><param name="day" value=26><param name="hour" value=17><param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

<param name="year" value=2005><param name="month" value=02><param name="day" value=26><param name="hour" value=17><param name="minute" value=00>

</applet>

cruiseshipani.gif

Well I agree that hopefully they will see that some of the things that they are trying to nickle and dime won't work and change it back.

1/01 NCL Majesty

1/02 NCL Majesty

1/03 RCCL Brilliance of the Seas

3/03 Carnival Jubilee

8/03 RCCL Navigator Of the Seas

1/04 RCCL Adventure of the Seas

3/04 RCCL Radiance of the Seas

8/15/04 Rhapsody of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;8;15;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

14 DAY LEGEND OF THE SEAS PANAMA CANAL CRUISE (12/26/04)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;12;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

3/13/05 SPRING BREAK on the Explorer of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;3;13;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

If Johnny Rockets was empty the surcharge is working as intended as those people willing to pay did so and did not have to wait in line. This topic was beat to death a few weeks ago and there is still no solution. If the cruise line charges for certain things some people complain they are being nickel and dimed. If the cruise line charges more initially and does not nickel and dime some people complain they are paying for things they don't use. The question is, where do you draw the line as to what's included in the cruise fare and what is not.

Use of the equipment in the gym is free but many people do not exercise so why should they pay for gym if they don't use it. There is tons of free food in the dining room and the buffet but not everyone eats 12 meals a day so why pay for so much food. You could take almost any activity on the ship and there will be people that utilize it and people that don't. How do you decide which activities should be part of the basic cruise fare and which should not.

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

Don't waste your money at JRs even if there are no lines. The burgers were not up to par with the JRs by my house. We opted for room serc=vice for our burgers and were MUCH happier with the quality of the burger and enjoyed eating them on our balcony.

Happy Cruising!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;05;06;5;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Days To Go Until The Sensation!

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

I followed this discussion now for a while. But I have to throw in my two cents now too.

Let me first say I don´t like to be nickled and dimed too and I can see the whole picture many of you have in mind that this may just be the beginning and you are right this is a danger. I honour all of your opinions and if you are going to change cruise lines because of this, ok it´s up to you. For me this wouldn´t be the option. I choose my cruise line for ship, itinerary and of course affordable price. A 3,95 surcharge for JR or to have to pay for OJ at dinner is not that much of big deal for me to even think about when booking a cruise. Other cruise lines charge me for OJ too, so what´s the option, not cruising - NO WAY for me because of OJ.

Well maybe this is of course I´m not so interested in burgers and fries. I can live without them for month / years. So I can hold it for 14 days on a cruise. Yes I drink OJ for dinner but other cruise lines always charged me for this in the past.

One of the statements I always read is "Raise the price for the cruise and give everything for free". I´m not sure if all of you would be really lucky with this. It´s quite simple. Just calculate how much you have to spend now for JR and OJ during your cruise and compare this to what you think they will raise the cruise price. I think it´s not a really good deal. In my case it certainly isn´t.

If you don´t like the surcharge don´t eat there it´s just a burger.

But of course everybody has his priority. I wouldn´t like to be charged for the shows and I usually go there every evening. This could be a reason if they would charge for all of them. If it´s just for some premium ones like the test on NCL I just won´t go. BTW I also don´t go to chops and portofinos. I already paid for food and won´t pay extra.

For sure many of you are cruising much more often but I don´t think that the quality of dining room went down since my first cruise in 1995.

OK now flame away.

First pics of the undocking of the Jewel of the Seas:

http://community.webshots.com/album/125049819TVWuuS

Jewel of the Seas left Meyerwerft Shipyard

See Photos of River Ems passage

http://community.webshots.com/album/131001309cIkOdH

Jewel of the Seas - 05/28/04 Scandinavia / Russia / Baltic

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;05;28;7;20;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Jewel of the Seas - 09/28/04 Canada / New England

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;09;28;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

09/2003 - Legend of the Seas Hawaii

06/2003 - Norwegian Dawn Florida and Bahamas

2002 - MS Columbus - Cruise to nowhere

2001 - Grandeur of the Seas Mediterranean and Transatlantic

2000 - Splendour of the Seas Transatlantic

2000 - Viking Star on the Danube River

1999 - Vision of the Seas Panamacanal cruise

1998 - Vision of the Seas Transatlantic

1997 - Crystal Symphonie to Mexican Riviera

1996 - Delta Queen on the Mississippi

1995 - Legend of the Seas to Alaska

Well stated madforcruising.

I would gladly pay a surcharge for entertainment. I am a fee worshipper! I paid over a $100 per person to see Sting and Annie Lennox this summer. If they were performing on the cruise ship while I was there I think I could probably swallow a $25 charge. Give me some more surcharges!!!!!

jc

I would gladly pay a surcharge for extra entertainment that I wanted to see or a dining option I'd like to eat at. I've been to many of the alternative restaurants as I'm not against having choices. The problem isn't with the extra fees for "new" or "different" ideas but that they are taking away what was once included and now charging fees. How would people feel if they took away the entertainment and started charging for it without adding any alternative free choices? Many feel that it isn't the idea of paying for a hamburger or OJ, (yes, a small amount when booking a cruise) but the fact that where will RCCL draw the line if the public just accepts all their changes. I can see charges for things that were once included if prices were staying the same but they aren't. Yes, there are some good deals for off season (always have been) but many people can't sail during those times. The prices for regular season are higher than they've been in the last few years and they are on their way up once again. So in fact they are charging us more with less items included. In my opinion, RCCL has made more changes than other lines (and not to our advantage) and their drinks both liquor and non are more expensive.

We are fortunate to cruise several times a year but most families save to vacation once a year and do so with a budget in mind. I can see where $3.95 may not sound like much but to some families all these changes that were included at time of booking and aren't now can add up. If RCCL wants to make these changes it shouldn't be to people who are already booked. Change it for those who are just booking and have the option to either accept it or look for another line. After all aren't you "locked in" to your cruise price once you give deposit? Well, in my opinion that should mean what was offered at that time too.

</applet>

</applet>

</applet>

cruiseshipani.gif

I'd rather have the choice to pay for extras like JRs, Rock Wall, Ice Show, real Ice Cream etc. than not have that choice. It's icing on the cake. As long as they don't charge extra for the cake and the cake is good you can do without the icing if you choose. Keep in mine the JR's fee does include their tip so if you had tipped anyway before this charge (I hope you did) it's not that much more. To my knowledge it is still possible to book a cruise on RCL and not pay any extra after you get there except for the tips. If you anything added to your bill it was by your choice not RCLs.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;07;19;13;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on the Zuiderdam

Til we sail on the Mariner of The Seas RCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;3;7;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until we sail on the Disney Wonder

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2003;10;09;12;01;00&timezone=GMT-0500

til we sail the ms Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;05;29;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

JR's, Rock walls, and ice shows are not icing on the cake. Those are some of the major points that distinguish a Voyager class from other class ships. And I am quite sure that they are figured into the fee structure for those ships.

If you are not looking forward to those things then you could just as well buy a different "cake" on another class ship.

Where's this nickel and diming coming from? What's the purpose? They got some 'splainin' to do. I mean, is it only RCCL doing this or is it also Carnival. What other nickel and dime stuff is there besides a cover charge for the Johnny Rockets thing.

It seems to me, that if they want customers, and people are already spending hundreds if not a few thousand dollars of their hard-earned savings to cruise, then they are going to turn off a lot of people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SF:

I would gladly pay a surcharge for extra entertainment that I wanted to see or a dining option I'd like to eat at. I've been to many of the alternative restaurants as I'm not against having choices. The problem isn't with the extra fees for "new" or "different" ideas but that they are taking away what was once included and now charging fees. How would people feel if they took away the entertainment and started charging for it without adding any alternative free choices? Many feel that it isn't the idea of paying for a hamburger or OJ, (yes, a small amount when booking a cruise) but the fact that where will RCCL draw the line if the public just accepts all their changes. I can see charges for things that were once included if prices were staying the same but they aren't. .... In my opinion, RCCL has made more changes than other lines (and not to our advantage) and their drinks both liquor and non are more expensive.

..... If RCCL wants to make these changes it shouldn't be to people who are already booked. Change it for those who are just booking and have the option to either accept it or look for another line. After all aren't you "locked in" to your cruise price once you give deposit? Well, in my opinion that should mean what was offered at that time too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What ships other than the voyager class ships of RCI have a JRs? How is that different than my Sting analogy? It isn't. They are not taking away anything they are offering something different, exactly like the other separate pay for fee dining options. As to your point that it would be ok to add the fee only for new bookings and not for past bookings because of the contract. If you would read the contract that you sign it states quite clearly that the cruiseline reserves the right to modify their side of the contract at any time and for any reason. Then there would be the issues of one person in line not paying but the second having to pay despite paying exactly the same fare. This would seem to be an even greater unfairness than the one you stated. So most of us sign an unfair contract because our side of the contract is pretty iron clad and the cruiseline is very nebulos regarding their liability. This is true of all cruiselines.

Then we need to discuss the entire concept of private property. IE the cruiseline owns and can run their business however they see fit and it really doesn't matter if we like it or not. We all have a choice as a consumer of cruise vacations of buying or not buying. We have a choice of which or none we want to sail with. This is a good thing. I don't want anyone to limit the cruiseline regarding how they operate their enterprise, nor do I want anyone telling me I have to or not to do anything.

jc

The surcharges are on several ships.....didn't the Norway have surcharge resturants years ago?

Princess has or had the extra charge for ice cream and apecalty resturants...RCI has this also...NCL is charging for name entertainment.

I LOVE the fact that cruise prices have dropped in recent years and I can afford to cruise in a better room or more than once a year.

I don't mind the extra charges for EXTRA things. However I hope the main things like entertainment the dining room the Windjammer, etc stay free because those are the mainstay things we've come to know as all inclusive. If they start charging for everything why take a cruise?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;10;2;19;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

First ever European adventure on Splendour of Seas

Archived