Alaska in Early June

baseballmom

First of all, thanks to all the wonderful and knowledgeable Cruise Critics who take the time to share their expertise! It's really invaluable.

My son and I will be on Serenade of the Seas leaving Vancouver on June 5th. This is the only week all summer that we can take a vacation. After reading thread after thread, I had decided to book a whale watching trip with Captain Larry in Juneau. However, I just read a post that said that in early June there was very little whale activity and, incidentally, no calving at Hubbard. :( We're also going to do a dog sledding/glacier excursion (morning) and go on the White Pass Railway in Skagway (afternoon).

I know it's silly to generalize at this point, and you never know what Mother Nature will have in store, but before I plunk down $200+ for the whale watching trip (or anything else) I was hoping there were some seasoned cruisers who would share their experiences if they have also cruised during early June. Thank you!

Laurie

We went this summer on the NCL Sun, on the cruise that left June 6. Is that a close enough time frame?

We flew to Seattle Saturday night, rained the whole way to Bellingham, where we spent the night. Cool and cloudy the next morning on the way to Vancouver, but it did clear up after we boarded the ship. Monday -- a little overcast. Tuesday -- Ketchikan -- BEAUTIFUL!! Lots of sun & our tour-guide thanked us for bringing nice weather. Tuesday night -- ran into fog. It was kind of neat -- the ship's fog horn blew all night long. Wednesday -- Juneau. Cool & overcast, light sprinkles. We went to Sawyer Glacier, which unfortunately was not calving that day, but I know it did the week before & the week after, so it must have just been our luck. We didn't do a "whale watching" tour, but did see 3-4 whales on our way to Sawyer Glacier.

Thursday -- Skagway. Cool & cloudy. We did the drive to Emerald Lake, and our photos are all pretty overcast. Friday -- Wrangell. Partly cloudy & cool.

Saturday -- hit a storm coming back. Gale/strong gale force winds, 12-15 foot waves. They kept all the doors to the outside decks locked for safety reasons.

Was the weather great? No, but it was Alaska, and was actually better than the forecast which called for rain all week. Two weeks prior they had beautiful weather, so it really just depends on mother nature. It really it a matter of luck. We were in the same situation -- it was the only week all summer that worked for our schedules. Just make sure you have layers available and you should be fine.

Totally inaccurate. Whale watching is excellent out of Juneau- Auke Bay, just about the entire Alaska sailing season. You have close to 100% chance of humpback sightings, orcas only come in on average every 5-10 days so it depends what your whale priorities are?? If orcas, consider a trip out of Friday Harbor Wa or Victoria BC. For clairfication- NORMAL behavior is to see blows, backs and tails. ANYTHING else is a bonus and no guarantees. The cruise brochures are greatly enhanced. :) As for glacier calving- again NO guarantees, the glacier views are excellent even without it, but Hubbard is considered an "active" glacier so chances may be good. :) Don't fret over the small stuff, there is no perfect trip, and Alaska will blow you away. :)

Thank you both. Budget Queen, I was hoping you'd find my post! I think I will go ahead and book the excursions we want and just hope that the weather, whatever it may be, will accommodate us. We have gone whale watching out of Ventura, CA and have seen what you described. So, I may look into other possibilities for Juneau that will be uniquely Alaskan! Thanks to you both for taking the time to help me out!

Laurie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Fantastic and awsome pictures. What kind of camera and lens did you use.
Thanks for the kind words. I use a Canon Digital Rebel SLR with the "kit" lens which is 18-55mm and the Canon 75-300 IS lens. When I go again I hope to have a Canon 100-400 zoom for more reach. I had a great time in Alaska, it is beautiful place to visit and photograph.

JPR

www.jprphotos.com

Ditto the whales in early June.. We have an awesome picture of a humpback breaching in Auke Bay right in front of this stunning log home right on the bank of the bay.. what a sight to see from your deck while enjoying a glass of wine... My group is going with Capt Larry in June and I'm hoping they get as impressive a "show" as we have had with him!

Host Caroline,

Go ahead and rub it in!! I still think all the breaching is "digital technology" until I am given the opportunity to refut it!!!! With my luck, I would be changing film or memory cards as it happened.

JP-- Do you have a matching 1.4 teleconverter for your lenses? I was amazed that my bear pictures weren't larger than they were with a 400mm lens when I was really close to them.

Hello JohnQ,

I do not have a converter or a 400mm lens. I put the Canon 100-400L lens on my Christmas wish list :D , my wife had a good laugh at that. On my whale trip this past June I did get to see a whale breach but I just missed it with the camera. But did get a couple of whale tail shots.

31957629.meduim.jpg

Here is my one shot of a whale breaching.

36773975.medium.jpg

What? you expected to actually see the whale in the air? I saw it, but by the time I got the camera to my eye this is all I was able to capture. So I recommend you book a tour and see it firsthand. :D

John Q keep going on the whale watching- you are bound to see some breaching. :) But if ever in my area- consider going on the multi day (3-4) research trips out of Glouchester Ma, with CORE. So much "whale action", of VARIOUS behaviors. AND the bonus- all day for viewing, since you don't have to come back for a few days. :) I have gone for the last 3 years.

Host Caroline,

Go ahead and rub it in!! I still think all the breaching is "digital technology" until I am given the opportunity to refut it!!!! With my luck, I would be changing film or memory cards as it happened.

I am still "non digital" although hinting for one at Christmas... and I just keep the camera loaded with 36 exposure film and try to start a new roll at the beginning of an excursion.. I have a Fuji "Point and shoot" with a zoom lens and it hasn't failed me yet... oh and I use those little disposables too ... just a lucky photographer, I guess:rolleyes: Oh, and not rubbing it in.. of the 5 Alaska cruises I have what I would clasify as 3 "great" whale pics.. so it's not the norm... luck is involved believe me! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping to go on my second Alaskan Cruise in June of 05. We went in August of 03 and took the Royal Carribean whale watching excursion out of Juneau. We were really blessed to have a wonderful day and very active whales. We saw breeching and bubble net feeding. That was amazing.

I have posted a few pictures on a web page.

http://emir.jewell.edu/facstaff/owensr/alaskaintro/index.html

Prof

Great pictures.. our group is going with Capt Larry in Juneau on June 6 -- we've also got some great whale pictures.. I need to go digital, don't I??? We saw two near entrance to Tracy Arm on a small boat on one of our trips that were close enough to catch a whiff of the "fish breath"!

I took my pictures with the old fashioned film camera. A minolta 3xi with an 75 -300 zoom with a 2x converter. I took my film to walmart and got the cheapest developing and for 99 cents more than scanned the negative and put them on a web site to down load. You get film and digital scans. I do have a small digital but like to use film with a long lens for wild life. Fish breath? funny

Caroline,

Taking whale shots with a digital is actually harder, unless you have a good camera with very little shutter lag. Its all about anticipation and being ready. Here are a few pictures that include whales at ISP.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

Laurie, as you can see, from all the responses, you should be in good shape in early season.

Caroline,

Taking whale shots with a digital is actually harder, unless you have a good camera with very little shutter lag. Its all about anticipation and being ready. Here are a few pictures that include whales at ISP.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

Laurie, as you can see, from all the responses, you should be in good shape in early season.

Exactly, John Q.. my great whale shots are not digital.. and friends with us on last cruise who had only digital camera missed all of theirs... fortunately I've gotten pretty good at "being ready" and will still take a regular "point and shoot" with zoom to Alaska in June with the digital that I will probably have by then.

Archived