Who agrees with me ?

Radiance class has my vote, inside and outside. RC has it right! (will reserve judgement on Oasis - not a big fan of the expanded promenade / carousel concept, but we'll see!)

Ditto. I like em cuz they look all ripply, curvy and lovely.:D But loved Liberty too. Can't wait to see Oasis.

An ocean liner is usually a ship designed to transport people from one seaport to another along regular long-distance maritime routes according to a schedule. Liners may also carry cargo, and may sometimes be used for other purposes (e.g. for pleasure cruises or as troopships). Cargo vessels running to a schedule are sometimes referred to as liners. The category does not include ferries or other vessels engaged in short-sea trading, nor dedicated cruise ships where the voyage itself, and not transportation, is the prime purpose of the trip. Nor does it include tramp steamers even if equipped to handle limited numbers of passengers, nor other cargo vessels (although many shipping companies refer to themselves as "lines" and their container ships, which often operate over set routes according to established schedules, as "liners"). Ocean liners typically were strongly built with high freeboards to withstand sea states As capacities for fuel, victuals, and other stores which would be consumed on voyages which took from several days to several weeks.

From Wikipedia:

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=ocean+liner&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FOcean_liner

As lake5298 said, the design is completely different.

The info about liners vers us cruise ships is correct.

Think of it this way....

A liner takes you from point A to point b, a cruise ship sails from point to to point B and back to Point A

if you are seriously interested in the definitions and clarifications, try reading:

"The Only Way to Cross"

an outstanding book on the passenger ship/cruise ship industry.

I love the look of the Disney Magic too. People who have never sailed her think she must be like disneyland on board, but you couldn't be further from the truth. It's a very majestic ship inside, right down to the elevators. Very, very classy lines, rich materials, and tastefully done.

To answer the OP, I think I like the princess ships more than RCI, but I'd put RCI and DCL in second.

From an exterior view I love the lines of the HAL S class ships and the Rotterdam class as well. Compare them to regular cruise ships and its easy to see they have a heritage that goes back to true ocean liners with the hull color to go with it. I also like the exterior of the R class ships which are now spread between Princess, Oceania, and Azamara. RCI has done a good job giving mega cruise ships better lines than the slab sided ships of Carnival, NCL, and the Sun, Grand, and Caribbean class ships of Princess.

I love the look of the Disney Magic too. People who have never sailed her think she must be like disneyland on board, but you couldn't be further from the truth. It's a very majestic ship inside, right down to the elevators. Very, very classy lines, rich materials, and tastefully done.

To answer the OP, I think I like the princess ships more than RCI, but I'd put RCI and DCL in second.

Wow, there is such a differnce in tastes, just like food I guess. I saw the Magic, not impressed, I think every HAL looks like a tanker, and Princess look like ugly ducks. To each their own.

There were a bunch of Live-from threads on the HAL board recently with the debut of the new Eurodam. These were all HAL fans and groupies and all complained that the E-dam looked like a container ship. Compare to the side profile of a Radiance class ship. No comparison, the Radiance looks like it is going 20 knots standing still and the HAL E-dam looks like... a container ship.

Here is my 2 cents.....

RCI....my favorite.......love Viking Crown....the promenade.....like the Radiance class but it would be perfect if it had a small promenade.....that area is so great for meeting people...people watching....just differant than and up & down centrum. My favorite room on the Radiance is the colony club.

Princess......MUTS is innovative but the interoir is just plain....one level dining room is noisy

Carnival......can't stand the centrum with all that gaudy trim and lighting.

Smoke stack is dull in structure but you certainly know its a Carnival ship.

HAL....I like the classic outside colors but the inside was dark, the halls were narrow and not straight. The colors that were meant for the Caribbean were gaudy (Zuiderdam)

NLC.......ugly, gaudy and cheap looking hull.

Celebrity....classy inside and out but a little too sedate for me.

Costa........loved all the beautifull marble on the Romantica but otherwise too sedate as well.

Princess shopping cart ship

1149800063046496353S600x600Q85.jpg

Never thought of it that way, but it does make me think I need to stop and get some bread when I get off of work in the morning! :p Personally, I like the old look of the Viking Crown Lounge that is totally round versus the newer versions. Monarch and Sovereign are my favorites. Their bows aren't as upright and look a little sleeker to me with more forward length.

SS__Nassau.jpg

My son worked for Princess and the employees all thought it looked like a high top tennis shoe.

I agree that the original completely round design of the Viking Crown was the best........trivia.......do you know where the original Viking Crown came from?

When RCI bought Admiral Cruise line the Nordic Empress was almost complete and it was too late to remove the Viking Crown lounge so it was kept and now all the ships have a Viking Crown.

I do not like the look of the Eurodam....all thos balconies make it not look like a cruise.

My son worked for Princess and the employees all thought it looked like a high top tennis shoe.

I agree that the original completely round design of the Viking Crown was the best........trivia.......do you know where the original Viking Crown came from?

When RCI bought Admiral Cruise line the Nordic Empress was almost complete and it was too late to remove the Viking Crown lounge so it was kept and now all the ships have a Viking Crown.

I do not like the look of the Eurodam....all thos balconies make it not look like a cruise.

I believe I've read that somewhere before. I'm glad it worked out like it did, the crown makes the ship for me!

I love the RCI ships. I like how they are just classy with the viking crown and white exterior. What I hate is the dark exterior, like Holland America ships and some of the Celebrity ships. (Although I love the Celebrity Solstice design) The find the Carnival Ships to by gaudy with the blue/white/red fin, but I know that is their logo thingy. The Princess ships are okay, but RCI gets my vote, outside, inside, anywhere you look at it.

Really?....I dont know, does not quite add up to me. The Nordic Empress was built in 1990, RCI came to be in the early 70's. Even there first 3 ships (Song of Norway, Nordic Prince and Sun Viking) has Viking Crown Lounges around there funnels.

Really?....I dont know, does not quite add up to me. The Nordic Empress was built in 1990, RCI came to be in the early 70's. Even there first 3 ships (Song of Norway, Nordic Prince and Sun Viking) has Viking Crown Lounges around there funnels.

what cruisnfool wrote is not correct.Royal Caribbean got their idea for the viking crown lounge from a builidng in Seattle which i don't recall the name right now.

I may be wrong here.....something about the Nordic Empress design being too complete for RCI to change it and it changed to look of future RCI ships...maybe it was the centrum?

Now you've got me thinking.

You are correct...the Song ofAmerica had the full lounge around the stack.

what cruisnfool wrote is not correct.Royal Caribbean got their idea for the viking crown lounge from a builidng in Seattle which i don't recall the name right now.

You are correct:)

Royal Caribbean's first vessel, the 700-passenger Song of Norway, began service in November 1970, and introduced glass-walled dining rooms, expansive sun decks located in the middle of the ship, and the company's signature Viking Crown Lounge projecting out from the ship's funnel, high above the sea. Edwin Stephan, one of the company's founders and Royal Caribbean's president at the time, got the idea for the lounge from the revolving restaurant atop the Space Needle at the 1962 World's Fair in Seattle. He anticipated that not only would passengers have a terrific view from this cocktail and observation lounge, but its design would set the vessel apart from other ships and make Royal Caribbean vessels instantly recognizable.

I may be wrong here.....something about the Nordic Empress design being too complete for RCI to change it and it changed to look of future RCI ships...maybe it was the centrum?

Now you've got me thinking.

You are correct...the Song ofAmerica had the full lounge around the stack.

That could be it, i don't believe the Song of America had a centrum, and i know the original 3 definitely did not, can anyone confirm if SOA had a centrum?......

I think you may have sloved the mystery :p

The Sovereign was the first ship to have a Centrum/Atrium.

Now, if they could just get the clock to work all the time.

Has the clock stopped again?!?! I sailed on her not long after the refurbish, and it was working. They made a big deal out of it on the special they had on "The Travel Channel" (I think) where they followed the whole remodel. They had a deadline to get it working, or it had to go, and they finished just in time.

I will have to disagree that Royal has the most beautiful ships....

I just got back from the voyager and it needs some work

(Paint chipping, railings need stained, carpets stained,etc....

NCL has the beauty of the hull art and they are the youngest

fleet in the country!!!!!!:D

Archived