Solstice - did you find your cabin?

Duanerice1

The thing is nothing has been written officially by Celebrity. These are only suppositions by people on the board looking at the premature pics of the Solstice. So, there still is a 50/50 chance for an overhang.

Never put your trust in a CC rep. They are very uninformed. You can get more informed knowledge here on Cruise Critic. So, wait until the first group comes back with first hand experience. And please give us your own first hand experience on the Hump cabin you booked.

We're booked on the Equinox for Dec 09 and the overhang on the Aft is one of my concerns also. Glad we will have time to change cabins if we find out there is none. We cannot tolerate too much sun.

Mary Lou

... I am afraid: yes and maybe you have to sell your car as well (depends on the value of your house) :-)))

... no, no, no - just a joke!

Since some weeks I own a 15megapixel Camera with high quality lenses ( it's a Pentax Camera- and I love it!). It was a high investment and it is a really heavy equipment but that's the price for reasonable quality photos.

... and when I become a famous cruise ship photographer I take photos on a cruise while my wife is enjoying the pool area :-)

Andreas

Andreas,

How are you this morning, at least its morning for me 5 a.m. I think?

When you take these pictures are you using a zoom lense with tripod?:rolleyes:

I currently have a Minolta dimage a2 10 megapixel but never got around to getting a zoom lens and it is a bit old. I love that I can take pictures in a museum without the flash and my camera compensates for it but when in church I just get blurred pictures with very bright neon-like colors going through them. I also get blurred pictures when taking close-ups of flowers and/or pets... do I need a special lens for this?

Sorry to presume you can help me but there is no place near my home with help or lessons.

Have a nice weekend,

Esther

Andreas,

How are you this morning, at least its morning for me 5 a.m. I think?

When you take these pictures are you using a zoom lense with tripod?:rolleyes:

I currently have a Minolta dimage a2 10 megapixel but never got around to getting a zoom lens and it is a bit old. I love that I can take pictures in a museum without the flash and my camera compensates for it but when in church I just get blurred pictures with very bright neon-like colors going through them. I also get blurred pictures when taking close-ups of flowers and/or pets... do I need a special lens for this?

Sorry to presume you can help me but there is no place near my home with help or lessons.

Have a nice weekend,

Esther

Esther,

first of all I think Minolta dimage a2 is quite a good bridge-camera ( is it maybe 8 megapixel?). If you really intend to buy a new one, I don't recommend a slr-digital camera but again a bridge-camera.

You mentioned two specific situations in photography.

1. photography in a museum without flashlight requires a tripod, which is mostly quite heavy, if it is a good one - (the very very good ones are not so heavy but very very expensive). If you want to avoid the tripod you have to adjust the camera to 1600 or even more ASA. But this leads to grainy photos. Besides this in a museum sometimes they have difficult light conditions concerning the temperature of color. The automatic camera adjustment does not realize it allways. So you have to adjust the white ballance manually.

2. close up-photos face two difficulties; first the depth of field is very small, secondly each movement of the camera or the object destroys the photo and blurring occurs. The best training for close ups are object which cannot move (plants and insects sometimes move dramatically by themselves or by the wind).

Andreas

To Andreas: What is the difference between a "bridge camera" and a "slr camera". Please keep if simple. Thanks

sorry for being too specific:

A bridge camera is a unit where the body and the lens is fixed with each other (you cannot change the lense); mostly the bridge cameras look like "small slr-cameras" because they have big zoom lenses for wide-angle and tele-photos as well; by making a photo you can look through the viewer (which is very often a small monitor, compared to this from video-cams) or you can use the monitor at the back of the camera; the "sound" by making the photo is "artificial" and you can adjust the loudness.

Advantage of bridge cameras: you cover most of the situations for making quite good photos; since it is a "closed" system there cannot be dust on the photo chip; compared to a compact digital camera it is big but compared to a slr-system camera it is much smaller and by far not so heavy and expensive.

Disadvantage: you are limited to the specifations of the camera.

An slr-camera is a camera system consisting at minimum of a camera body and a lense. The system can be built up with several lenses (good lenses cost more than the camera body!) for specific needs, external flashlight, battery packs etc.etc.. Usually you have to look through the viewer of the camera directly through the lens to make a photo; the monitor at the back of the camera is only to view the result (very, very new cameras try to change this and call it "life-view"); the sound by making the photo is "real" because an internal mirror gets up and exactly what you have seen through the viewer is "fixed" on the photo-chip.

Advantage of the slr-system: you can produce very high quality photos even in very specific situations; you can combine the system to your specific needs.

Disadvantage: heavy and expensive; you need good training in your camera

Conclusion: if you just take photos three times a year on vacation and at christmas to my opinion a slr-camera is over-equiped. I remember my own father who was proud to have a slr-camera thirty years ago. I think he took not more than five rolls with this camera because he could not handle it properly and it was kept mostly at home because it was too heavy for carrying allways. He was much more happy with his small compact camera.

BUT!!! if you really love to take photos and photography becomes your favorite hobby and you start thinking in pictures by going through your live a slr-camera is a must !! You don't mind carrying three, five or even more kg of weight? Buy a good camera system! Vist courses and "play" with it as much as you can. Look at your own results and improve allways! Be creative! Look at other photos and compare to yours. A good photographer is an artist and photography is a very good way to express yourself....

... and you can make other people happy with good photographs

I love it ! :-)

Andreas

To Andreas: Thanks I own both types of cameras. My bridge-cameras are a Canon and a Samsung; both cameras takes excellent pictures.

I purchase the Nikon SLR 80 because I take over a thousands pictures per year and I like to be difference/creative:) . Again thanks for your time.

Andreas...you have certainly made many, many people on the Celebrity board happy with YOUR pictures of the Solstice.

Thanks again!

Thank you for your very positive feedback. This is really encouraging and I hopefully I can make you more happy with interior photos.

The shipyard will not allow me to take these photos but still I hope for a positive reply from Celebrity Cruises. I asked allready for permission to take photos of Celebrity Solstice in Eemshaven in october.

Andreas

Esther,

first of all I think Minolta dimage a2 is quite a good bridge-camera ( is it maybe 8 megapixel?). If you really intend to buy a new one, I don't recommend a slr-digital camera but again a bridge-camera.

You mentioned two specific situations in photography.

1. photography in a museum without flashlight requires a tripod, which is mostly quite heavy, if it is a good one - (the very very good ones are not so heavy but very very expensive). If you want to avoid the tripod you have to adjust the camera to 1600 or even more ASA. But this leads to grainy photos. Besides this in a museum sometimes they have difficult light conditions concerning the temperature of color. The automatic camera adjustment does not realize it allways. So you have to adjust the white ballance manually.

2. close up-photos face two difficulties; first the depth of field is very small, secondly each movement of the camera or the object destroys the photo and blurring occurs. The best training for close ups are object which cannot move (plants and insects sometimes move dramatically by themselves or by the wind).

Andreas

Again thank you... you are a wealth of information. I will just keep practicing and try to learn more. My lens does come off but am not sure if that means I can change it out for an other.

Esther

Thank you for the pics, Andreas!!!

~~~~~~~~

All: I am confused about the support beams for the Lido overhang. Do they only affect one side of the Solstice (port). I don't see them in some of the pics. Maybe I'm mistaken??

The main dining room looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Hi....I am a first time cruiser and I got room 2112 a C1 class room on the Solstice.......

Is that a good room? Will it be too noisy next to the pools and stuff?

It looks like the room has diagonal balcony....it that a good thing or a bad thing? Is it going to have any disturbed views with something blocking?

Just anxious......haaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I must be really dense! Some of you are talking about where the beds are located and I can't see that from the pictures. What am Ii missing? It doesn't matter to me which way it is but I just wondered what you see that I don't.

Are the lifeboats really located quite a ways out from the ship as it looks now or will they go closer in like most do? We are on deck 7 midship and now I'm concerned that we may not have a very good view. I don't mind not seeing straight down but don't want to feel that I am right on top of a lifeboat either.

I must be really dense! Some of you are talking about where the beds are located and I can't see that from the pictures. What am Ii missing? It doesn't matter to me which way it is but I just wondered what you see that I don't.

Are the lifeboats really located quite a ways out from the ship as it looks now or will they go closer in like most do? We are on deck 7 midship and now I'm concerned that we may not have a very good view. I don't mind not seeing straight down but don't want to feel that I am right on top of a lifeboat either.

If you go to the site that Andreas has set up with his photos you can see a lot. I have seen one photo in the Sneak Peak sticky above I gave the link above - taken from the lifeboat deck. You can see the lifeboats extend out from the side. I changed from deck 7 to to one of the deck 6 balconies towards the bow because I didn't think the view down would be good.

I attached a photo from Andreas Depping's site to show you how I determined which has beds. I attached his original photo and a smaller section from it. This is the way I see it - no guarantees though. :) The cabin that I chose is the one directly above the "C" in Celebrity. You can see the bed through the sliding glass door. You can also see the bed in the cabin directly above the "I" in Solstice. They alternate so you can determine which way the ones inbetween are arranged. You can see the beds in several of Andreas' photos.

wwwIMGP4452.jpg.13d3a31661b1dfbb35b021fe144b7a6f.jpg

142166896_SolsticeNameCloseup.jpg.de5df7b7be1dcae44049c233c0b5cab4.jpg

To: Andreas

Solstice sea trails are September 28, 2008 please try to attend and take many, many pictures.

I have been in contact with Andreas about the same subject but unfortunately he probably will not be able to take photos due to other obligations during this upcoming weekend.:(

• 1 year later...
We are in 1229 on Sky Deck which appears to be the first cabin on the midship hump. Looks like the balcony will be enlarged. 1231 looked a little bigger but it's not available. I can't wait for people to be onboard and bring back info. :)

I am looking at he same cabin on Equinox. Was your balcony bigger? Was the view unobstructed? Do you happen to have any pictures?

xxx

Particularly for all of you who booked cabins on the other side of the ship I was at the shipyard two hours ago. The Celebrity Solstice was shining in the sunlight and I was allowed to step on the visitors platform which is usually closed.

Anyhow here is the direct link to the new album of cruiseship-gallery.de:

http://www.depping-design.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=89

Andreas

Archived