Gibraltar - what to do in only a few hours

On my next cruise, our ship will only be calling at Gibraltar for 4 hours and doesn't arrive until almost 8pm. is there much to do in this time and is the main town area a short walk from the ship? I cant decide whether to go ashore for a stroll for a while or just stay onboard and have dinner. I'm going to be cruising on my own and am a bit concerned that it might not be that safe to go ashore at this time on my own.

Thanks

I go to Gibraltar every month to buy English food (and look after my money;) ). It is very safe. I would say it is safer than most places. Take the normal precautions with money and cards around the port area thats all. Don't think there would be much to do at that time though, are you sure it is 8pm?

It is a shame you only have a few hours as it is a wonderful port. I wish you could take the rock tour and see the apes. Also, the previous poster wrote about the British goods. We did that as well as there is a wonderful Morrison's supermarket loaded with the goodies we normally get in England. That might be open at night.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I may as well get off for a while then. let's just hope the ship manges to dock a bit earlier. Does seem daft that they are only calling for a few hours so late in the day

We were just there a few months ago. We were there for about four hours but it was from around 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. The town is just a short walk (ten minutes) from the pier. It is a cute town to walk around with lots of shops, and pubs. There is a main street that goes through the town and several side streets. I believe it is duty free so it is considered a nice place to shop for those from the UK.

I would highly recommend taking a stroll into town.

Keith

Thanks Keith - as I'm from the UK, chances are that Duty free prices may be reasonable for me

You are welcome. We have friends from the UK who we sailed with a few months back and I know they bought some items. Also, I do know that many of the cruise ships that have a large UK clientele do stop at Gibralter and I believe the reason is the shopping.

Keith

Archived