Anyone nervous about going to Russia

I cant imagine why it would change. The Baltic is worlds away from the Caucasus/Georgia area. Thousands of km in fact. And this "spat" will most likely be history before you arrive in the baltic! Given all this, I am sure that Regent will be watching things carefully. Your safety, not to mention that of their ship, is paramount to them.

I think the concern is that Georgia borders on Turkey and there has been some talk about blocking some waterways. We will be in Istanbul on 10/3. Istanbul also had a couple of bombings last month -- not targeting tourists. I may be crazy (:confused: ) but am looking forward to this cruise.

there are things happening all the time- if you want to go- go

you could be going to new york on a vacation and all of a sudden... something else happens...

if you want to play it safe stay home- hell i could stay home here in LA and think i am safe- and if it was a few weeks ago- not safe- another earthquake

We just returned from Regent's Baltic cruise and there were no issues whatsoever. I agree heartily with the previous posters - Georgia is far, far away and you are just as likely to have issues in your own backyard and not even expect them! We toured Egypt right after Egypt Air went down over New York, for example, and were very glad we went anyway because security was even better than ever. Travel is an adventure!

My daughter and I are on this same cruise and I had the same concerns. My life long dream is to see St. Petersburg... I hope it's not just from my balcony! I also need advise regarding Stockholm. We need transfers and a private tour prior to boarding... any suggestions?

I'm still nervous - this war should've been over but I think its just beginning.

If you are concerned that somehow this regional conflict will spread and involve military conflict throughout the entire country of Russia, that is really a far stretch. America and Russia have too much too lose to let this squimish turn into an actual American vs Russia war. It would be far more of an impact than just your cruise.

I would say agreements are already in place to put the matter to rest...or at least back to a state is was before Georgia tried to quell unrest in the seperatist area of it's own country. By the time you sail...it will pretty much be back to status quo.

Now...as for your cruise.

I think you should be more concerned how you are going to spend your American Dollars. You will have a blast. I hope I do too when I get this cruise next year.

Happy Cruising!!! :D

Carriecaz,

I agree with the other comments and don't think the conflict in Georgia would have any impact on your cruise. Now that a ceasefire is in place, I hope you can thoroughly enjoy your time in St. Petersburg. As for Stockholm, you might want to consider Regent's 1/2 day city tour, which includes transfers from the Voyager to your hotel. It also includes a guided tour of the Vassa museum, highlights of City Hall and a stop above the harbor for photos of the city.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived