Gloves!

Persephone

Let me start with a confession: I ADORE gloves - especially formal gloves. I just bought several pairs of vintage white formal leather gloves (most are unlined) on eBay. They are all in great conditions and two of my beauties arrived in the mail today. The cheapest pair was under $10 with the most expensive pair $40. They are all unworn old stock and look like new. Most stores don't even carry kid leather gloves anymore, and the Web sites that sell brandnew ones charge $200 plus.

I am so ecstatic, I just had to share. Anybody else out there who loves formal gloves? Confessions are welcome:).

I'm a glove addict!

However, I don't wear evening gloves...not my style, but love the look on others.

I have tons of outdoor gloves - dressy and casual. From inlined antique kid gloves in pretty pastels to hot pink suede with a big bold zipper over the knuckles. I've got leather and crocheted linen driving gloves, and tons of colors - pink, all shades of green, browns, and with tons of details like zippers, buttons, fringes, and unusual stitching.

When I visited Venice, Italy many years ago I found a glove store going out of business and bought 15 pairs, and I still have most of them.

I've always been a glove and scarf "addict", I guess it grew out from always being chilly!

Enjoy your new "old" gloves! Can you post the pic from Ebay?

When my daughter went to her senior prom she wore an elegant strapless, princess line red gown.

I loaned her my formal white over the elbow length kid gloves to wear with the gown and gave her a course in glove etiquette. She was the only girl with gloves at the prom and attracted a great deal of attention from older diners at dinner before the dance when she entered the restaurant. Several stopped by the table to comment on the gloves.

She is now a glove convert.

Nice gloves Persephone! Enjoy!

HappyKs,

I bet your daughter looked incredible with a red strapless gown and long white kid gloves!

When I was a little girl I remember my mother wearing them when she went to cocktail party's with her jewelry over them. I'll have to ask her if she still has them!

When my daughter went to her senior prom she wore an elegant strapless, princess line red gown.

I loaned her my formal white over the elbow length kid gloves to wear with the gown and gave her a course in glove etiquette. She was the only girl with gloves at the prom and attracted a great deal of attention from older diners at dinner before the dance when she entered the restaurant. Several stopped by the table to comment on the gloves.

She is now a glove convert.

Fabulous. It's always lovely to see young girls go for classic styles. In my opinion, there is not enough elegance anymore. I can imagine that she attracted lots of attention from older people and her peers alike.:)

I have always loved gloves, particular for evening attire! When I was younger, my older sister and younger brother both did pageants and I got to dress in evening attire for the main events. I always wanted to wear gloves of some sort.

When I got into high school, I began doing theater, and several productions called for gloves - some older, daytime gloves, some evening for ball scenes. I wore a pair of elbow-length black satin gloves for my senior prom. Depending on which dress I wear for formal night on the Majesty of the Seas next month, I may break them out again.

I think the gloves are a timeless look. I am 24, and if I'm not careful, can look 16 if I don't style and dress myself appropriately. Putting gloves on immediately makes me feel like an adult, though.

I think the gloves are a timeless look. I am 24, and if I'm not careful, can look 16 if I don't style and dress myself appropriately. Putting gloves on immediately makes me feel like an adult, though.

I am quite familiar with that problem. I am 32, but I look like I am in my early 20s (according to various individuals). I recently attended a reception at the Austrian Embassy in DC, and one of the ladies present asked me if I had come with my parents! I've been married for almost a decade!! I try to dress very conservatively, but it doesn't always work.

Let me start with a confession: I ADORE gloves - especially formal gloves. I just bought several pairs of vintage white formal leather gloves (most are unlined) on eBay. They are all in great conditions and two of my beauties arrived in the mail today. The cheapest pair was under $10 with the most expensive pair $40. They are all unworn old stock and look like new. Most stores don't even carry kid leather gloves anymore, and the Web sites that sell brandnew ones charge $200 plus.

I am so ecstatic, I just had to share. Anybody else out there who loves formal gloves? Confessions are welcome:).

I have a friend who is in serious competition with you for those eBay gloves! She gets them really cheap since she has such slender arms! If they state "really narrow" she goes after them! I think she's bought them for as low as $4/pair!

I have to 'suffer' with modern polyester stretch gloves - I'm a more modern size!

I have a friend who is in serious competition with you for those eBay gloves! She gets them really cheap since she has such slender arms! If they state "really narrow" she goes after them! I think she's bought them for as low as $4/pair!

I have to 'suffer' with modern polyester stretch gloves - I'm a more modern size!

Ah, so she is the one who recently outbid me on those vintage Victorian gloves:D.

I am just joking. EBay is a great resources for vintage items, and I am blessed with small hands and slender arms myself, so I can always squeeze into the size 6 or 6.5 gloves.

I love gloves--have bought for years when they pop up at estate sales (I don't like ebay) But now I live in the south and won't wear them--I get too hot! I still have lots of "regular" gloves (from fleece to leather to cashmere) for when I travel to cooler regions, but I can't justify spending $$ on nice gloves now when I know I won't wear them. Same with knee-high boots, sadly--I just can't justify the cost for the few times a year I'd be able to comfortably wear them. I just spend more on dressy open shoes/sandals instead:p But back to gloves--I wore opera length with my wedding dress--just love the look. Wish I had more formal occasions when I could wear them, but....

I have a black and white satin gown that I've yet to wear (bought it just for a cruise), and it is only half an ensemble (in my opinion!) without the very long black gloves I bought to go with it. But, quite honestly, I don't know if I could walk into the dining room with a straight face, even on formal night, sporting opera length gloves. Then the dilemma continues...what to do for dinner, as etiquette says you shouldn't eat dinner with your gloves on. Roll them down like Rita Hayworth playing Gilda?

But yes, I do love the look...elegance to the max!

Jane

Then the dilemma continues...what to do for dinner, as etiquette says you shouldn't eat dinner with your gloves on. Roll them down like Rita Hayworth playing Gilda?

But yes, I do love the look...elegance to the max!

Jane

The admirable maven of etiquette, Miss Manners, advises to take them off with slow drama. "Fun with gloves consists of pulling them on and peeling them off, as ladies and strippers both know." This is a direct quote. She promises that the eyes of every single man (and probably woman) in the vicinity will be on you. During dinner, you can put them on your lap. However, she also states that the only proper colour is white. Now, wearing gloves does require a certain type of self-confidence. If you are very shy, and dislike attention I would not recommend it.

For your entertainment, I have copied the link to Miss Manners' advice: http://books.google.com/books?id=FOodocaTLsMC&pg=PA636&lpg=PA636&dq=miss+manners+and+gloves&source=web&ots=Qfu4RcPnW4&sig=Qplf_l6GGvY6aU1RWkJogG1fJFY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result

Hoyaheel,

I can understand your dilemma, on the other hand, you can always create formal opportunities. Where in North Carolina do you live?

In the boonies. Quite literally. I live on an old tobacco farm. (in a new house). And I work at a university. College students not known for being the most formal creatures on earth;) So I save my formals for cruises....

However, she also states that the only proper colour is white.

Miss Manners better talk to the likes of Rita Hayworth then, not to mention Viven Leigh.;)

G0.jpg

Now, wearing gloves does require a certain type of self-confidence. If you are very shy, and dislike attention I would not recommend it.

But, I guess Miss Piggy has the self-confidence to carry off any color opera gloves that she likes. I don't think that she has a problem with the attention factor.:D

G1.jpg

Miss Manners better talk to the likes of Rita Hayworth then, not to mention Viven Leigh.;)

G0.jpg

But, I guess Miss Piggy has the self-confidence to carry off any color opera gloves that she likes. I don't think that she has a problem with the attention factor.:D

G1.jpg

Miss Piggy can do and wear whatever she likes. She has cult status and does not have to worry about attracting attention. That sort of comes with her character. I think even Miss Manners would agree with that.;) The same goes for Rita Hayworth who was after all a sex goddess. (Will the use of that word get me censored?) Even Judith Martin concedes anything goes in that case.

Ah, so she is the one who recently outbid me on those vintage Victorian gloves:D.

I am just joking. EBay is a great resources for vintage items, and I am blessed with small hands and slender arms myself, so I can always squeeze into the size 6 or 6.5 gloves.

You're a sizne 6.5 too? UH OH....we're in trouble now! :p

Well, this thread must have bought me luck! :D I was at Sym's yesterday and found white cotton/spandex gloves that fit me!!! :D They are so much better than those satin ones to go with my Regency day gown - or as a friend points out - even my ball gown should have kid gloves :o, not satin!. (And yes, I do hang out with the 'wrong crowds'!)

Despite the rules of the period, I always take my gloves off to eat - as quietly and quickly as possible. My modern self thinks the only fabric that should be near my mouth is a napkin!

You're a sizne 6.5 too? UH OH....we're in trouble now! :p

Yes, a size 6.5. If they are cut generously, I can wear a size 6. If they are very small, I go to a 7. Just like Truvy in "Steel Magnolias": "In a good shoe, I wear a size six, but a seven feels so good, I buy a size eight.":D

Archived