Formal Night Questions

T-N-C

Ok, I am wanting to know a little more about formal night on the Voyager. I am just not sure what to expect. We are not the kind of people who dress up very often. My husband refuses (but I can do some sweet talking 045.gif) The only thing I see is that I am getting dressed up to go eat. Is there more to it, or is it just a meal? Is there any other special things going on that night, what about dancing? I would not mind getting out of the norm and experiencing a romantic evening 656.gif, but I need some ammunition before approaching my husband. I know he will love it once he is there, it is the convincing him that is the hard part.

First of all, dinner is more than just eating every night--it's more of a social occassion! Dinner takes about 1 1/2 hours, as there are multiple courses and lots of dinner conversation with your tablemates (and waiters!!!).

On formal evening, things are just "stepped up" a bit! Some folks will change clothes after they eat, but many don't. We don't! Once we're lookin' good, why mess with it?

The dining room is elegant, and being dressed in your finery will make you feel right at home! You hubby doesn't need a tux, but a dark suit will look fabulous!

I think you'll find that the majority of folks WILL dress for the occassion!

The Captains reception is usually on Formal night and you will probably want to go to that - everyone will be dressed to the nines. Depending on which seating you have it will either be before or after dinner. Once dinner is over if you want to dance you certainly can go to one of the bars that has a musician and dance your heart away!!!!!

Good luck and happy cruising!

OP, there are two important aspects to formal night. The first is the dinner and getting dressed up, most do but I'd add jacket and ties also. The second is the formal photagraphs, where RCI rakes in big bucks.

To be honest, quite a few people do change clothes. Not sure why, seems like a lot of effort to get into play clothes for a few hours.

As already mentioned, dinner in the MDR is a time for conversation and enjoyment. Meals are lengthy due to the many courses (appetizer, salad, main course and desert). Formal night tends to have a bit better cuisine. I enjoy the conversation and slower dining in the MDR over the WJ buffet.

As for dress, men wear everything from tux to suits to sport coats to no coats. I am in the sport coat group. As a certified people watcher, I have seen a lot of different dress including military blues, Scottish kilts and even jeans. I have noticed that there are significantly more empty seats/tables on formal night than on other nights. It appears that the older generation dresses more formal than the younger generations.

After dinner the formal wear seems to diminish so I would say a good number change back into island attire. There will be several clubs with different types of music where you can dance after dinner up to about 11:00 PM or so. Late night tends to be the disco.

Whatever you decide to wear, have a great time and enjoy your cruise.

Ok, I am wanting to know a little more about formal night on the Voyager. I am just not sure what to expect. We are not the kind of people who dress up very often. My husband refuses (but I can do some sweet talking 045.gif) The only thing I see is that I am getting dressed up to go eat. Is there more to it, or is it just a meal? Is there any other special things going on that night, what about dancing? I would not mind getting out of the norm and experiencing a romantic evening 656.gif, but I need some ammunition before approaching my husband. I know he will love it once he is there, it is the convincing him that is the hard part.

As most of the other posters mentioned, you'll see a significant amount of your fellow cruisers dressed up. We tend to stay dressed for the rest of the evening, but I should warn you that a man in a tuxedo will get hot if you're dancing the night away (even if it's dancing under the stars). On my first Majesty cruise, I made that mistake and wound up going back to change after midnight. On the follow-up cruise, we decided to skip dancing and just lounge around with fellow passengers in the bars.

I particularly like to get dressed up and remain that way, and I love it when DG does the same.

Archived