Senior discounts in Italy and Greece?

Are discounts just offered to members of the EU? Should I leave my AARP card at home ? I have not been able to find this info anywhere.

Has anyone from USA gotten senior rates while in Europe and if so where?

Thank you.

I would think any chain hotels would honor your AARP (Hilton, Marriott, etc). I know one of places we are visiting in France - entrance for seniors is reduced...

Wouldn't hurt to have it along, also possibly carry your dirver's license to prove birthyear.

Are discounts just offered to members of the EU? Should I leave my AARP card at home ? I have not been able to find this info anywhere.

Thank you.

As different countries have different age limits for seniors, I have learnt to just ask, whether it be bus, rail, accommodation or theatre, etc.

Thank you.

We were just with some seniors and they got some discounts (half price) a few places by asking. I am not 100% sure but it may have been at the Etruscan ruins in Rome and also caves in Malta, etc. These places are all cash only and usually in the 6 EUR range. I don't think anyone ever asked for a card, but why not bring it?

My consistent reading is that the young and EU citizens get the "reduced" fares: How can the 62 year-old American or Canadian do to cope? My current money-saving habits:

(1) plan private tours in groups of 8.

(2) if staying in one location for at least 3 nights, look into apartments to rent and limit restaurants mainly to a lunch out when touring. (Also better for health and eating is enough of an issue during the cruise, no need to make a problem worse by 2-3 restaurat meals before/after

(3) look to see if you have airline points to use, if so in our current environment, use them.

(4) try to use your head when selecting cabin and cruise, rather than the logic of, its only the "trip of a lifetime." In my specific case, I located a balcony cabin (regular) with a larger and more flexible balcony than a mini-suite and saved the basic cost of 14 tours by giving up a couch that I won't use. By selecting cabin early, I have the preferred side of the ship and selected a cabin at aft with no cabin to our left, so greater privacy and a quiet location as well.

Not kidnapping this thread, but way open to reading about cost-savings activities. Would be happy to look at schedules as well, but one of us still works and needs to be in the classroom and that poses a major limitation.

David

Archived