Dinner Reservations on CB

killface

Hey folks!

We couldn't find this listed on any of the support documentation for our cruise, and the only information I have is what I've gathered on these boards.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like I can't pre-book reservations for the Anytime Dining Rooms (nor at the Specialty Restaurants) before boarding. Once onboard, from what I understand I can make reservations for either the Coral or the Palm or Sabatini's or the Sterling Steakhouse for up to 3-days in advance. So if I was to board on Sunday, theoretically I could book for Sunday night, Monday night and Tuesday night? Can I also book Wednesday night? (again, not sure how the days are counted)

Does the same 3-day rule apply to Specialty Restaurants or can you book them for any of our 7-days once you board?

FINALLY, does anyone have any tips/tricks/advice/warnings about making reservations after the embarkation day? Is it pretty easy if you call 1st thing in the morning (and what's 1st thing) etc.

Thanks so much in advance (I hope this topic hasn't been covered).

Hey folks!

We couldn't find this listed on any of the support documentation for our cruise, and the only information I have is what I've gathered on these boards.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like I can't pre-book reservations for the Anytime Dining Rooms (nor at the Specialty Restaurants) before boarding. Once onboard, from what I understand I can make reservations for either the Coral or the Palm or Sabatini's or the Sterling Steakhouse for up to 3-days in advance. So if I was to board on Sunday, theoretically I could book for Sunday night, Monday night and Tuesday night? Can I also book Wednesday night? (again, not sure how the days are counted)

Does the same 3-day rule apply to Specialty Restaurants or can you book them for any of our 7-days once you board?

FINALLY, does anyone have any tips/tricks/advice/warnings about making reservations after the embarkation day? Is it pretty easy if you call 1st thing in the morning (and what's 1st thing) etc.

Thanks so much in advance (I hope this topic hasn't been covered).

No the 3 day rule does not apply to the specialty restaurants.

But you do have to wait until boarding before booking any. :)

Also, that DINE phone line isn't operational right when you board. Someone posted at some point that they don't start answering it until later in the afternoon. So if you want to make reservations for the specialty dining rooms as soon as possible after you board, I'd go to where they're set up to take those bookings -- the time and location will be listed in the Patter that will be in your cabin upon embarkation.

Also, that DINE phone line isn't operational right when you board. Someone posted at some point that they don't start answering it until later in the afternoon. So if you want to make reservations for the specialty dining rooms as soon as possible after you board, I'd go to where they're set up to take those bookings -- the time and location will be listed in the Patter that will be in your cabin upon embarkation.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I read somewhere else that we should be 'calling' to try to book into the Chef's Table as soon as we board... If the DINE phone line isn't operational, are we able to try to book with the Chef's Table by going to the reservation table?

I read one tip that suggested I just put the phone on 'hands-free' and wait until someone picks up on the DINE line.

I'm embarking out of San Juan, and so far my plan is to arrive at 11:00(ish) and be ready for a couple of hours of wait time, just to ensure that I get a good opportunity for the Chef's Table wait-list.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

I read somewhere else that we should be 'calling' to try to book into the Chef's Table as soon as we board... If the DINE phone line isn't operational, are we able to try to book with the Chef's Table by going to the reservation table?

I read one tip that suggested I just put the phone on 'hands-free' and wait until someone picks up on the DINE line.

I'm embarking out of San Juan, and so far my plan is to arrive at 11:00(ish) and be ready for a couple of hours of wait time, just to ensure that I get a good opportunity for the Chef's Table wait-list.

Others have reported on other threads that using the DINE line does not always work, even when they do answer. Suggest you try to find a Matre'd and put your request in that way.

FYI, you can't make reservations for the Anytime dining room from 6:01PM - 7:59PM any day of the week. Between 6 - 8PM is walk-in only.

Sorry!!

You are mistaken.

We made reservations on the first night. Embarkment day.

We had a table at 6:15 waiting for us each night. We just walked right in and sat.

On two occasions we were running late ( half hour) our table was still available.)

Princess highly recommends you to make reservations.

If you do not have reservations you have to wait for a table.

DSCN1488.jpg.53e634beb2bb51d667413ea61875358c.jpg

DSCN1489.jpg.dc94d83dc70ee79e38484759df301d41.jpg

Click on photos to see reservation sign.

No where does it say restrictions on time.

Palm has more tables for two.

Coral has less.

When we were on the CB in December we were told that unless there were unusual circumstances such as being handicapped and needing a certain location, that we could not make reservations earlier than 8:00 am each morning for that evening.

Wish that Princess would make up their mind on how they want to handle this whole reservation thing. It would be easiest for everybody if they would just do away with reservations altogether. At the very least it would be nice if there were more consistency.

Since Princess started Anytime dining they have been very consistent.

They make it very clear online and in their patters.

That Anytime dining allows you to dine when and with whom you like.

They even allow you to make reservations up until 4:30pm the same evening.

857315164_PersonalDining.jpg.96c257778571ccadd863af4ebc21821e.jpg

click on photo to enlarge.

Since Princess started Anytime dining they have been very consistent.

They make it very clear online and in their patters.

That Anytime dining allows you to dine when and with whom you like.

They even allow you to make reservations up until 4:30pm the same evening.

[ATTACH]87801[/ATTACH]

click on photo to enlarge.

On our first cruise with Anytime dining, they were allowing you to call the first day on board and make reservations at what ever time you want for the evening for the entire week...so you could call the first day on board and make reservations for each night of the cruise.

Our second time with Anytime dining, we were not allowed to make any reservations untill 8:00 am for that evening, and were told no reservations would be accepted prior to the morning of the evening you wanted reservations for.

Now according to the OP's post, they are allowing you to reserve a table for 3 nights in a row, but not beyond 3 nights.

How is that consistent since Anytime was introduced?

Things may have changed, but this was the procedure for the specialty restaurants when we on the CB.

We were told that a “table” would be set up outside Sabatini’s “around” 1:00PM. Anyway, a table appeared about 20 minutes late at this location manned by two waiters from Sabatini’s. They had two books, one for Sabatini’s and one for Sterling. We were the second couple to make reservations and were surprised when we were told we could either have 7:00 or 8:00 on the night we wanted, not 7:30. We later learned that there was a second table set up near the pool area with another set of books taking reservations on the “half” hour.

As far as making reservations at the anytime rooms, never heard of a problem by anyone with requests that were reasonable.

Now according to the OP's post, they are allowing you to reserve a table for 3 nights in a row, but not beyond 3 nights.

How is that consistent since Anytime was introduced?

The OP is mistaken.

You can reserve for the entire length of your cruise, if you choose to.

The Maitre D will give you a card stating the following -

Dear Guest(s) ______ cabin #

I would like to inform you that I am able to accommodate you in the ______ dining room ____ as from tonight. You will be accommodated at Table # ____#____ at ____ time you of your choice _________ . Your table is confirmed for the enitre week with the same waiter.

I sincerely hope that you will be happy with this arrangement.

Best Regards,

Maitre D'Hotel

I am glad to hear that we can make reservations since we are #99 on the waiting list for traditional 2nd seating on the CB (down from 123). We booked too late and I am sure the wait list won't be clearing in the next 8 days

The OP is mistaken.

You can reserve for the entire length of your cruise, if you choose to.

The Maitre D will give you a card stating the following -

Dear Guest(s) ______ cabin #

I would like to inform you that I am able to accommodate you in the ______ dining room ____ as from tonight. You will be accommodated at Table # ____#____ at ____ time you of your choice _________ . Your table is confirmed for the enitre week with the same waiter.

I sincerely hope that you will be happy with this arrangement.

Best Regards,

Maitre D'Hotel

Thank you for clarifying. It seemed like they had changed the policy.

I know the policy is different if you are in a suite than in a regular cabin. We were on the CB this last December and didn't see any little reservation cards as you describe nor did we see the Maitre D giving anyone those. When we asked the Maitre D about reservations he told us we had to call each morning after 8:00 (we were looking for a table for 4 for 4 people).

Is the card reservations that you described for suite passengers?

Sorry!! You are mistaken. We made reservations on the first night. Embarkment day. We had a table at 6:15 waiting for us each night. We just walked right in and sat. On two occasions we were running late ( half hour) our table was still available.)

Same here. DH and I have had reservations between 6:30-8:00 on most of our Princess cruises. We usually contact a Head Waiter or the Maitre d' and request a table for two during this time frame. On some cruises, an earlier table was available, while on others, we had dinner closer to 8:00. Most of the time, we had the same table and waitstaff. We've never been told that we couldn't have reservations between 6 and 8:00.

Sailing on the Star four weeks from today!

Chris

Archived